Black Sheep Hat Works

Discussion in 'Hats' started by jlee562, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

I would be interested in what Tonak call this one. It looks like a Flamand. Is it Hare? I saw mixed pre dyed felts being made at TONAK.

2. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

Bob would have to speak on that for I am not qualified

I know Bob absolutely loves this Tonak felt

what's good for the master is good for me

FedOregon likes this.
  3. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Che is Photobucket challenged at the moment but he emailed me some pics when he got it so I'm taking the liberty. Believe me, this body was a limp piece of vintage felt Che got from Roberto and Jula at City Vintage and Bob was pretty sure he couldn't do anything with it but said what the hell and had a go. It qualifies as vintage tissue weight, check out how thin the brim is. 2 3/4 oz total. Enjoy

Rebecca likes it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  4. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

MIke ... I've been on the fence about ordering for a few months ... just slightly intimidated by the wait ...
    but I saw this hat yesterday and immediately contacted Bob
    we had a great phone call today and the ball is rolling
    couldn't be more excited

5. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Sooner or later, resistance to Bob is futile ;)

6. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

spoke to him for probably 25 minutes on the phone and felt like I knew him for years
    we were laughing and carrying on ... great stuff

7. FedOregon

FedOregon I'll Lock Up

Any hints????

KY Crusader and Redfokker like this.
  8. FedOregon

FedOregon I'll Lock Up

I saw it earlier. Fantastic!

Redfokker likes this.
  9. Mine is to be the blue heathered fur felt with the short nap scorch finish, impermeable tip shield, Halo+one trim & 3/4" ribbon with Fray bow.

10. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

sounds gorgeous Jack
    that heathered blue is really something else

11. jlee562

jlee562 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I went back and forth on the blue so many times in my head. I'm sure I would have been equally pleased with the result, but the grey won out in the end.

12. belfastboy

belfastboy Call Me a Cab

I just ordered one a few weeks ago. Went in with the intention of a beaver felt but ended up with a Loden green heather Tonak felt. It was too nice to pass up....now the wait begins.

13. EstherWeis

EstherWeis Vendor

Yes, melanges.
    I use them frequently. Great definition. They blend 3 colors.
    By far my favorites to work with.

Great choice Anthony! I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

14. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Thanks!

Redfokker, EstherWeis and Michael R. like this.
  15. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

I've havnt been able to speak for 24 hours...

FedOregon and moontheloon like this.
  16. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Here's a recent Bob refurb which optimistically reminds that straw hat weather is not too far off. My hat rack has been missing an Optimo crown Montecristi but Roberto and Jula from City Vintage solved that problem for me. He had a nice vintage Optimo body that lacked a sweat but did have plenty of patina. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I knew Bob could take care of the rest. Originally the refurb was gonna be traditional with the original 1/2" black ribbon, but when the time came to pick it up Bob had placed a custom pug conveniently in my line of sight. Bob knows I love Aloha shirts so I'm pretty sure this wasn't a coincidence. How could I resist a Waikiki pug to pair with my many Aloha shirts? Rhetorical question.

That's Diamond Head on the pug
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did I mention it was Freak'n Fino?
    [​IMG]

Or that Bob added his borsy style corrugated cushion sweat? Look closely for this fine vintage detail
    [​IMG]

Of course another unique sweat vent pattern
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The light shot, weave is so tight full sun barely passes
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  17. FedOregon

FedOregon I'll Lock Up

Bob does amazing work, to be sure. Bob has posted some Before and After photos on his FB page. One I saw was a Borsalino, the other a Royal Stetson that looked a bit like my own RS. SO I thought, Bob's the man to do a refurb for me and after a couple emails, I sent my taupe, late 50's/early 60's ??? Royal Stetson to Bob.

After the first inspection, Bob had good news, and bad news. The felt was great, the crown and brim ribbons were good to go and could be reused to keep the vintage look... but at some point a new liner was put in the hat and it was too small. That's why it creased deep in the felt across the front of the crown whenever I put the hat down on my head where it belonged.

We talked about a new silk liner, but Bob also had an older Royal Stetson liner in his inventory that could be pressed into service. The sweat was in good shape and was going to be reused. Putting that together with my desire to keep the hat as vintage as possible, I asked to go with the older RS liner Bob offered.

Apparently, it took 2 separate cleanings to get the felt in shape. Bob also meticulously removed the plastic cover from the liner as it looked to be near to the end of it's usefulness. Reblocked, reflanged, assembled again in perfect order. I am more than happy with the end result. A clean looking, very sharp Royal Stetson with a unique colorway that draws me in.

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RS @BSHW

18. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Bob is always supplementing the number of descriptive sweatband stamps he uses, maybe he should add "Black Sheep Hat Rescue"

19. RJR

RJR

;)

Redfokker likes this.
  20. ofcoursemyhorse

ofcoursemyhorse Practically Family

I should hopefully have a quartet of bowlers to show off in this thread soon. Three restored vintage bowlers and one of Bob's amazing custom ones.

mayserwegener, RJR, SpeedRcrX and 2 others like this.