Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Sheep Hat Works

BKM

New in Town
Its sad to see this thread devolve into a belly aching fest about Bob's wait times and communication issues. We get it - longer wait than quoted, longer queue than other hatters, communication issues. If you can't wait ask for your money back and he'll refund you.

Now, can we get this thread back to posting Bob's work (the reason for this thread in the first place)?

Some of his recent work (NOT MINE)

View attachment 264648 View attachment 264649 View attachment 264650 View attachment 264651 View attachment 264652 View attachment 264653 View attachment 264654

Now those are some beautifully crafted hats. Sometimes, I think the word "artist" (in description of a craftsman) is overused and presumptuous, but not in this case....this hatter seems the point where good and inventive art meets the excellence of a crafted piece.

I've got two hats with Bob, an old black Stetson No. 1 I bought from Garrett, and a new custom build. This one will decidedly NOT be vintage styled, so it might not be to everyone else's tastes, but, you know, it's my hat. :p

A particularly dark black cherry felt with some vintage Japanese fabrics.
Do you have pics of the finished black cherry?

Guitar76

New in Town
I posted a few pages back about how long it’s been since my deposit, and I saw the recent posts about wait times and not wanting this thread to become a complaint fest, but I’m able to get zero contact back from them. My down payment was placed Aug 2018. I’ve sent emails, I’ve used their form on their site, and I left a voice message last month. Even if I wanted to get refunded at this point it doesn’t seem possible. My first hat from him went smoothly. Longer wait time than quoted, but not unreasonable and there was follow up. Now I wonder if my order is just lost. There’s little updating to his FB page or other social media. I’m assuming he is still in business?

I posted a few pages back about how long it’s been since my deposit, and I saw the recent posts about wait times and not wanting this thread to become a complaint fest, but I’m able to get zero contact back from them. My down payment was placed Aug 2018. I’ve sent emails, I’ve used their form on their site, and I left a voice message last month. Even if I wanted to get refunded at this point it doesn’t seem possible. My first hat from him went smoothly. Longer wait time than quoted, but not unreasonable and there was follow up. Now I wonder if my order is just lost. There’s little updating to his FB page or other social media. I’m assuming he is still in business?

He ignored all my emails once I ordered a hat and left my deposit. However, when I sent an email asking for a refund it was answered immediately and a refund was given without a question being asked.

It’s taking a lot or restraint to not say anything more.

Guitar76

New in Town
The hat I have is amazing. When I ordered this second one I got what every got, target is 12 months. I’m well over 2 years and can’t even get a response to emails or phone calls. I’m hoping things are ok, no health issues (Covid) or anything, but it’s concerning there are zero updates to the website or social media.

Guitar76

New in Town
He ignored all my emails once I ordered a hat and left my deposit. However, when I sent an email asking for a refund it was answered immediately and a refund was given without a question being asked.

It’s taking a lot or restraint to not say anything more.

Sent an email 3-4 days ago asking for a refund of my down payment. Haven’t heard a word. It would be nice to know that hats are being made and people are receiving their orders.

I hope all is well with Bob. As has been said, he’s probably one of the most creative and detail-oriented hatters going. The stale air on his website (the newest “What’s New” post is from 2018) is of concern to me. I really like Bob and his work. Let’s hope he’s well.

Guitar76

New in Town
Just wanted to follow up. The email I sent requesting the refund was answered and I got it back today. Not sure why I never got an answer to any other email or a voice message over the last 2+ years. I really wish this would have worked out because his work is amazing. I don’t like badmouthing a small business, but thought this was the place to see what was going on.

Just wanted to follow up. The email I sent requesting the refund was answered and I got it back today. Not sure why I never got an answer to any other email or a voice message over the last 2+ years. I really wish this would have worked out because his work is amazing. I don’t like badmouthing a small business, but thought this was the place to see what was going on.
Well, not exactly a happy ending but at least an ending that got your money back.

Sorry you didn’t get the hat you wanted. I’m less inclined to excuse rudeness and appalling poor customer service no matter how great the hats are. Is there any doubt that he received all your previous emails and voice messages and just chose to ignore them? I’m not looking to tell anyone else what to do, but I’d never consider placing an order with a hatter who treated his customers this way.

Guitar76

New in Town
Honestly can’t say. I used the same email address to contact again. Over the 2+ years I contacted them through their online form asking about it, two different email addresses, a message on a post they made on FB, FB messanger, and left a voice message. I really don’t mean to badmouth a business. Something got lost and who knows why I couldn’t get a response, but in the end I was very quickly refunded my deposit. Would I order again from them, no. I know others who received their order, so I wouldn’t tell someone else not to order if they are willing to wait.

Last edited:

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have my hat and it was around 22-23 months as I recall. My wife's hat was also about 23 months. But I was quoted 12 months...

I would like another hat from Bob, but I just don't want to wait that long... and I like my hat, a lot. His Pinnacle edge treatment is really good, and Bob is the only hatter I know that can or is willing to do this.

But my BSHW hat is not my favorite hat. I like my natural from Michael Gannon more. I was actually surprised how stiff the felt was/is on my hat from Bob. He has mad skills and the details he can include are really something.

With that long of a wait, there is no way I would sell my BSHW fedora for less than what I paid, or maybe a bit more.

BSHW_03.jpeg
BSHW_04.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points