Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackeyed Peas? Who had them?

Foofoogal

Banned
Blackeyed Peas with ham.
Cabbage with little red new potatoes.
Pork Chops and of course. Corn bread!

Who had this today or something similar. Is it just a Southern thing? lol

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
My wife's side of the family got together today.
My wife baked a ham and made a dessert out of oreos, pudding and cool whip.
My sister in law fixed blackeyed peas, turnip greens, corn bread and baked a cake.
My nephew deep fried a turkey and stuffed jalapenos.
My niece made dressing, gravy and potato salad.
There was macaroni and cheese, cole slaw, green beans and a couple of cakes, but I don't know who brought them. I ate a little bit of everything.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
A New Year's must according to both grandmothers from way back when! When we're home, I've got them simmering by noon with some bacon diced in.

Is bacon the same thing as jowls? I've always been told that is has to be the fat face of a hog in order for it to work. [huh]

Foofoogal

Banned
I was told the blackeyes are for luck and the cabbage or I guess greens are for green like in money. lol

Never heard of a face of a hog anything. [huh]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There's a very good Soul Food salad bar near my office on 125th St that I frequently frequent. I usually have baked chicken, sweet potatoes (or yams as the case may be), sometimes cabbage (one of the great foods of all time, as long as you keep the window open ;) ), cornbread, etc., and of course blask eyed peas. Great stuff.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
I was told the blackeyes are for luck and the cabbage or I guess greens are for green like in money. lol

Never heard of a face of a hog anything. [huh]

lol I looked it up--apparently it is supposed to be a soul food favorite/tradition, but my family is white & we always ate it. [huh] Personally, if I eat jowls once a year it is more than enough. I was gagging on it today, but finally at a couple pieces. :eek: It is some really tough stuff, except for what is fat.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
We're a...

...bit late this year. Mrs Mid-fogey wanted fondue for dinner. We have all the makings -- just didn't git to it.

I always heard that the blackeye peas were for good luck, the greens were for money, and the pork was to not look back (because pigs can't look over their shoulders -- kinda, sorta).

Well if things don't turn out so well this year, we'll know why.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Brill said:
No one else does the black-eyed peas and hog jowl for "peace & prosperity"? Is that just a Tennessee thing?

Well, Im from KY and I NEVER remembering hearing that tradition. But I DID make a big pot of beans just two days ago to snack on during the rest of winter....Black Eyed Peas included.....

LD

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Yup, black eye peas! We are country folk at heart, lol. The roots show.
Then we made bunches of cookies since we werent able to get together before Christmas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy