Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazers

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
Lately I have a “thing” for traditional styled blazers. Single breasted, double breasted, navy, black, metal buttons, pearl buttons, heavy wool, light weight summer striped ones, linen, in short just about all types. So how about some pictures of yours? I think they are one of the most versatile jackets available

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
Not the best picture but this one is a classic Navy wool with brass Golden Fleece buttons by B.B.

Navy Blazer.jpg

Last edited:

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
Not sure I would call this a blazer it seems more of a sports coat but a cream colored silk cashmere blend by B.B.

Silk Cashmere.jpg

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
This one the buttons are a bit hard to make out but they have the 25 year logo on them. B.B. makes these at Southwick for their employee's who have been at B.B. 25 years or more. Black wool special buttons and lining they call it the "Quarter Century Club blazer" the lining has 25 years woven into it. Not available for sale in stores obviously

IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
This ones another eBay buy a hopsack blazer by B.B. Similar to the others but a slightly smaller size and so should be a slimmer fit (some days are just better than others) I keep pics of all my eBay buys and catalog screen shots of my store buys just for fun

Hopsack Navy 01.jpg
Hopsack Navy 02.jpg
Hopsack Navy 03.jpg

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
I have several variations of trousers to wear with these. For winter, more formal settings, and inclement weather usually a classic gray flannel trouser. For summer and sunny days either white, khaki, or beige linen, cotton, or blended pants. Add in a white or light blue, or even pale pink, shirt and a repp tie and it is a classic look.

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
This ones another eBay buy a classic Navy Brooks Brothers Country Club. I know I own a few different variations of the navy blue blazer slightly different fits and buttons. So sue me I like blue blazers. I have a double breasted one I will post pics of soon.

I also have cufflinks to match the buttons on this one.

cc navy single 03.jpg
cc navy single 01.jpg
cc navy single 02.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I think the gold buttons set them apart from sports coats and play up the naval heritage

That's certainly the idea behind them. There are those who view than as too "golf club", though I like them myself. I wear sports jackets / blazers a lot more than full suits, for the simple reason that day to day it's easier and more affordable (when the trousers wear out, you can buy another pair without that being the suit "over"). I'm quite a fan of a striped boating blazer in Summer. Recently had to throw out a real favourite because carpet beetles got to it - a post-war (probably 60s-80s) West German naval officer's blazer, six button fastening on three. Was dirt cheap, too, in surplus, but no one has the bigger sizes now. Watching out for a new one - or I may just throw caution to the Wind and buy a repop WW2 era Kriegsmarine one (10 on 4, otherwise identical) and wear that with civilian garb as I did the other, as the cut is almost identical, and bought new and worn with civilian grb and a pocket square, no one is ever really likely to spot the difference.

I also have my eye on the Simon James Cthcart / SJC label, as Simon is planning to put out some DB navy blazers soon, one 30s and one in an early 20s cut. I'm especially considering the 20s cut to wear with wider, 30s style trousers as an approximation of the Oxford Bags look, circa 1925.

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
Nothing wrong with repro military without the insignia. For years I wore a repro WWII German tankers jacket (panzer wrap) without any insignia and I don’t think even one person know what it was to them it was just a black wool jacket

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Cultures are different but a 'reefer jacket' as we called them with brass buttons down here was a particular look in the 1960'-70's - mainly returned servicemen of a certain type - and would be a difficult look for anyone under 70 to pull off. I think the view is they are a bit cheesy. I used to wear a navy blue one in the 1980's - not sure I have the sand for it today and you rarely see them here now. I generally wear a corduroy blazer which still looks good when it's a bit wrinkled and worn. Although I get a lot of jokes from people about being a school teacher.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I also have my eye on the Simon James Cthcart / SJC label, as Simon is planning to put out some DB navy blazers soon, one 30s and one in an early 20s cut. I'm especially considering the 20s cut to wear with wider, 30s style trousers as an approximation of the Oxford Bags look, circa 1925.
I'm with you Edward, a striped summer blazer and a pair of Oxford bags, a forgotten style: Chances are that I have told you that Samuel Windsor sell off their summer blazers throughout the cooler months, you can get a real bargain. As for the Oxford bags, they are rare, thank goodness for the talent of my lady. One of my favourite blazers is a dark blue Acquascutum with navy style buttons, I just can't remember which file I put it in, I'll find it soon enough.
hats 012.JPG hats 070.jpg blazer 1.jpg vf3.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Looking sharp! In the photo with you in blue, third from right on my screen, are those SJC Spectators?

Samuel Windsor are great for the occasional bits and pieces. I found the shoes didn't have a very long life (though I did at one point get a good eighteen months' hard wear almost daily out of a pair, so for the money they're certainly not as bad as some would have it), but the knit wear can be great, and the blazers. I have one of their tweeds I'm very happy with. I did buy one of the boating blazers on sale last year for the Chap Olympiad, lovely stuff. It was worn at Goodwood as well, and even to the office on some Summer days. Will definitely pick more up. At the minute I'm dawdling over pulling the trigger on one of their covert coats. Their tweed waistcoats that match the jackets are tempting - if only they did them with four pockets instead of just the two! It's just a shame their trousers are such a modern cut, too low in the waist, as their suits would otherwise be quite a bargain.

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
I think it helps to have reached a certain distinguished age to wear a navy blazer with gold buttons. As I slowly move towards sixty I can wear things I wouldn’t have at thirty. Most kids nowadays probably think that’s what was worn when I was young anyway.

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
I think it also depends on the blazer and the whole outfit. It’s a bit harder to look “cheesy” in a $800 blazer that fits correctly worn with good gray flannels and proper shoes than a dime store knockoff over jeans

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That's a lovely green blazer, and a tapered waist, what a memory that is. Blazers are so versatile, here's three more of mine, the first is the Aquascutum, the smart tailoring lends itself to the bow tie. The second a black and ivory chequered pattern shows how a neck tie combination works well and the third, like your's, is a green blazer with an open neck floral shirt.
hats 038.JPG
dra 001.JPG
masters 001.JPG

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
Yup the tapered waist looks better on the tailors dummy than my waist as it is a “little” less tapered

Those are all great blazers and you accessorize them well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ