Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blemish and cracked leather in new boot

Tidus89

New in Town
Hi guys, I need some advice. I've ordered some fairly cheap boots, coming in at 200£.

Sadly I've noticed that the left boot has a blemish on one side and a 1 Inch crack in the leather on the other. It's not extremely prominent being close to the sole, but it's noticeable.

I intent to report this back to the maker, but I would like some advice from you guys first. Is that crack likely to cause durability issues in the long run? I am asking because I would prefer to just get a discount and keep the boot anyway. I am not eager to go through the process of return, sending it back, waiting for the new one, paying import duties again etc.

Thank's for your opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_0534.jpeg
    IMG_0534.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0536.jpeg
    IMG_0536.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 175
No good. It is perfectly clear that the leather cracked during construction and that these boots should not have ever been put up on sale, whatever the price tag or the discount they may have been sold at. And let me tell you, 200£ boots aren't cheap at all.
I understand the return/refund process can be and usually is a huge pain - I'm dealing it at this moment where the seller is ignoring my mails requesting a refund - but the state of your boots is such that there's no debate you should receive full refund or another pair with all import duties, taxes covered by the maker/store.

Tidus89

New in Town
Where did you get them ?
To be honest I would rather not disclose that atm. They are making an afford to correct their mistake and that is fine with me. I will put this incidence in the category of unfortunate coincidence. Of which I seem to have some with way too many different makers out there, so maybe that's bad luck then :p

the fact that the QC was happy to ship this leads me to believe they don't really care about their products
It was explained to me that this specific pair of boots was not produced in house, but made for them externally. Which of course doesn't excuse anything. But it makes me tend to the idea that this was likely a case of oversight and not business as usual.

Spiney

One of the Regulars
To be honest I would rather not disclose that atm. They are making an afford to correct their mistake and that is fine with me. I will put this incidence in the category of unfortunate coincidence. Of which I seem to have some with way too many different makers out there, so maybe that's bad luck then :p

It was explained to me that this specific pair of boots was not produced in house, but made for them externally. Which of course doesn't excuse anything. But it makes me tend to the idea that this was likely a case of oversight and not business as usual.
That seems worse to me as it’s now gone through 2 pairs of hands and still not noticed.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Run away from these boots...

Edward

Bartender
That seems worse to me as it’s now gone through 2 pairs of hands and still not noticed.
Also possible that they were drop-shipped directly from manufacturer to the retailer's customer. Not unheard of in ecommerce operations, though obviously it does require a certain level of trust / reliability.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Like what others have said, £200 is a lot of money for boots and those are not it. For £200 you can get welted boots and not poorly glued on ones. Sounds like you're in UK, maybe a weekend trip to North Hampton. And bring cash.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, good luck with the replacement though I'd probably ask for a full refund and get a pair of deadstock army surplus boots in Europe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails