Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

Feraud

Bartender
Am I the only one who doesn't find Gillian entirely unsympathetic?

She's diabolical, for sure. And I sure as hell wouldn't want her getting custody of little Tommy. But man, that girl is damaged goods. Turned out at age, what? Twelve? Or was it more like the ripe old age of 13 or 14? Someone refresh my memory here, please.

While I don't think Gillian has any business raising a child, I don't find her totally unsympathetic.
Wasn't it Nucky specifically who pimped her out to the Commodore at around 14 years old?
She had a child within a few years.
Those "respectable" town leaders sit around in expensive furnished rooms thinking they are better than the dirt poor women they use.

One of my favorite scenes in the show was when Jimmy and Richard scalped that smug b_stard Jackson Parkhurst.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Thanks but truth be told I only got it HALF right! I thought he was working for the dead kids parents but instead it was a revenge plot for the Commodore's old drinkin' buddy!!!! I did not see him doing that nor Gillian giving up the boy so easily. I personally don't think it's the last we'll see of her... She so purely evil and so viciously diabolical I don't see her ending her days in solitary or death row. She could go to hell for a million other crimes but killing that old basterd was/is the least of hers....

Worf

Poor Gillian. She'd gotten off drugs, had seemed to have been able to walk away from the idea that she could raise Jimmy's son, and appeared to have gotten to a place where she could begin to face her actions. Never, ever would I have though that I could feel pity for that character, but I did last night when it came crashing down on her. Just a wee bit of pity. Ok, maybe a bit more.

You mention that she could go to hell for her crimes, but one of the best loved characters, Richard Harrow, has single handedly kept the New Jersey funeral business well funded with his shooting skills. But then, Richard has some heart and Gillian was much more amoral.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Well next Sunday's Final episode will be something. "Farewell Daddy Blues" Nuck now knows that his brother has ratted on him again.The look on Nucky's face at the dinner table when he connects the insurance agent with the Prohe. Chalky's mentor playing the same role as he with the Commodore was a nice turn. The Doctor's men coming after him still in his Horbor Of Grace " Havre de Grace shows Chalky he can not run from his problems and Daughter is too tied to the Doctor. Gillian was feeling free of all her past mistakes and the twist really broke her down. She was made into what she was by men who betrayed her down thru the years and this last betrayal was too much. Good episode one more to go this year. Well we will have to see how the new Frank Darabont series
Mob City
turns out Start December 4th. Might tide us over for a little while.

This has me wondering if we've seen the last of the Gillian character. Might Gretchen Mol, who plays the character, want out? If so, well, that thread in the storyline is played out.

Or, might it be that Gillian has some revelations about the proper and upstanding civic fathers in Atlantic City? And will she ever learn what really became of Jimmy? Or would that just clutter up the overall arc of the story?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Poor Gillian. She'd gotten off drugs, had seemed to have been able to walk away from the idea that she could raise Jimmy's son, and appeared to have gotten to a place where she could begin to face her actions. Never, ever would I have though that I could feel pity for that character, but I did last night when it came crashing down on her. Just a wee bit of pity. Ok, maybe a bit more.

You mention that she could go to hell for her crimes, but one of the best loved characters, Richard Harrow, has single handedly kept the New Jersey funeral business well funded with his shooting skills. But then, Richard has some heart and Gillian was much more amoral.

Ah an interesting point BUT I riddle you this.... is it murder to kill killers? Harrow is a killer but he is NOT a murderer. Everyone he's put the lead to deserved (at least as we know) every round they got. Gillian killed that poor slob for pure convenience and profit. Harrow has done murder for hire but had no stomach for it... and those cats were shady as well. But I do see some of your point.

Worf

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Ah an interesting point BUT I riddle you this.... is it murder to kill killers? Harrow is a killer but he is NOT a murderer. Everyone he's put the lead to deserved (at least as we know) every round they got. Gillian killed that poor slob for pure convenience and profit. Harrow has done murder for hire but had no stomach for it... and those cats were shady as well. But I do see some of your point.

Worf

Ah, I like it Batman! Since you asked, I believe it is indeed murder to kill killers, but I agree that Richard is a killer and not a murderer. And I agree that Richard hasn't plugged anyone who didn't have it coming to them. Richard is also sane (at least in my book). Gillian is damaged and unbalanced; her reasoning for murdering is to replace the losses and abuses in her life (drowning that kid was her roundabout way of getting Jimmy's son Tommy, and in her own odd way, that's getting Jimmy himself back). Current law would punish Richard more for his actions than Gillian's, although hers were just as thought out and planned. They did a good job of bringing her around this season to being a slightly sympathetic character.

So... you're stuck on a deserted, New Jersey boardwalk - Gillian or Margaret? (And no, Ginger or Mary Ann aren't options). I'd have to go with Gillian; she's a lot less sanctimonious than Margaret, so waiting out a rescue wouldn't be so tedius.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Ah, I like it Batman! Since you asked, I believe it is indeed murder to kill killers, but I agree that Richard is a killer and not a murderer. And I agree that Richard hasn't plugged anyone who didn't have it coming to them. Richard is also sane (at least in my book). Gillian is damaged and unbalanced; her reasoning for murdering is to replace the losses and abuses in her life (drowning that kid was her roundabout way of getting Jimmy's son Tommy, and in her own odd way, that's getting Jimmy himself back). Current law would punish Richard more for his actions than Gillian's, although hers were just as thought out and planned. They did a good job of bringing her around this season to being a slightly sympathetic character.

So... you're stuck on a deserted, New Jersey boardwalk - Gillian or Margaret? (And no, Ginger or Mary Ann aren't options). I'd have to go with Gillian; she's a lot less sanctimonious than Margaret, so waiting out a rescue wouldn't be so tedius.

I see your point. Yes.. I guess they'd consider Harrow a "mass murderer" after that little dust up at Gillian's. To be absolutely honest, I felt for her a bit at the end... but I knew it was coming. That the Pinkertons stretch her out in that Crucifiction pose, wasn't lost on me either. You're right, she may get off... the last thing the founding fathers might want is their... purveyor of pleasures sittin' in the witness stand with her ample black book! Your counter question is a scary one. Gillian, even sober and straight, would be too dangerous to date lest I be murdered for insurance money. Magaret on the other hand is only barely more honest, she'd steal the filings from my teeth and her sanctimony would move ME to murder. In the end I take Gillian, at least I KNOW she knows how to have a good time and those ahem... 'tricks of the trade" she picked up runnin' her establishment might make the nights interesting to say the least....

Worf

Last edited:
Am I the only one here who has come to actually like Margaret?

Yes, Margaret is out for Margaret. But she manages to get what she wants without killing people. (As far as we know, anyway. Lord knows what revelations about her might be forthcoming.)

She's certainly no more self-serving than the male characters. That's why she remains in the story, I suspect. She (and Gillian) illustrate the gender double-standards of their era. And maybe shine a light on our own.

Oh, and lest we forget ... Nucky offered to take Margaret and the kids back, post his affair with the since departed Billie Kent (Gawd, what a cutie!), and hers with the likewise since departed Owen Sleater (bad things come in large crates). Indeed, he asked her back. But she declined, preferring a life in a crowded tenement populated by drunken wife beaters and the like to the gilded prison that is Chateau Nucky.

Last edited:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, I actually enjoyed Margaret this season, but then of course she was hardly on.
Gillian's storyline I found the least interesting, but it certainly paid off last night.
Did Daughter lead Narcisse's men to Chalky, or were they somehow followed?

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Did Daughter lead Narcisse's men to Chalky, or were they somehow followed?

The guy that didn't really go to Baltimore, the nephew (I think) of Chalky's mentor, sold Chalky out. That's my understanding of what happened, anyway.

When Chalky's mentor asked the gunmen what they wanted, they said "The girl". That means they didn't already have her.

I found Nucky and Eli the most interesting characters in this episode.
Gillian had it coming. Frankly, she's evil even after getting clean and clear. It was proven so. She is out for her and I disliked her character immensely.
Margaret redeemed as she was far less sappy, and of of course, not on often enough to gag me.
Nucky's look at the car as they left the Albotross was classic. What's he gonna do? Give Eli a chance to come through? Set him up? Good stuff there.
Albert "Chalky" White. Looked really weak. And for the first time, I lost interest in his character. I left not really caring about him which bummed me out.
I wish the last episode were two hours as there's no way in hell we're going to get much in the way of resolutions. Good stuff.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The guy that didn't really go to Baltimore, the nephew (I think) of Chalky's mentor, sold Chalky out. That's my understanding of what happened, anyway.

When Chalky's mentor asked the gunmen what they wanted, they said "The girl". That means they didn't already have her.

Yepper that's my reading of it. Country boy decided to get paid by selling out Chalky. But, give them credit, all the other guys in the house, including the patriarc, saw it coming as well. Just a chance for the old man to go out on his shield without lingering... Chalky has a new crew of killers now... time to settle the score.

Worf

Feraud

Bartender
Gillian is down for the count. I cannot see her character doing much else in the show.

Chalky's storyline seemed to bog down a bit but I expect him to make an explosive comeback at some point. Nucky backs Chalky and they wipe out a common enemy (Dr. Narcisse). It can be business as usual unless Nucky really wants out of the business.

It was great seeing Louis Gossett Jr. back if only for a short time. LGJ had some great lines in the show, particularly when he was referring to Daughter Maitland as Blue Tick and Easy Rider. lol

What boggles my mind is Eli apparently selling out his brother again! After all that happened between the brothers and Eli takes the bait of that rat-faced agent. Say it ain't so Eli!

Gillian is down for the count. I cannot see her character doing much else in the show.

Chalky's storyline seemed to bog down a bit but I expect him to make an explosive comeback at some point. Nucky backs Chalky and they wipe out a common enemy (Dr. Narcisse). It can be business as usual unless Nucky really wants out of the business.

It was great seeing Louis Gossett Jr. back if only for a short time. LGJ had some great lines in the show, particularly when he was referring to Daughter Maitland as Blue Tick and Easy Rider. lol

What boggles my mind is Eli apparently selling out his brother again! After all that happened between the brothers and Eli takes the bait of that rat-faced agent. Say it ain't so Eli!

Eli richly deserves killing.

Feraud

Bartender
I'm holding on to the tiniest bit of hope that Eli has an alternate plan to what we've seen...
Nucky barely forgave him the first time, I don't see it happening again!

Uh, I think that is the point of a season ending cliff hanger. lol lol

There's cliffhanger, and there's enough for five cliffhangers!

I too hope Eli has a change of heart - but the look on Nucky as he went inside said it all. He's p*ssed. And he's not going to let even his brother off easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred