Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

carldelo

One Too Many
Big_e said:
What the hell! That seller doesn't have a bit of sense.:rage:
Ernest

Yikes, what a shame. I guess even small towns in Wales need a village idiot - too bad this one had just enough gray matter to get himself connected to the internet....

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Saturday Oxford punting jaunt:

27058_386587012062_688147062_4542943_8076688_n.jpg

Boodles

A-List Customer
I also like the matching tie and riband

Mr. Huang,
Could you tell us a bit more about the riband and how you made it (if you did as I suspect)? From your post of some time ago I saw how you made a riband with grograin so I suppose this one is somewhat similar, except the fabric has no bound edge. Are the fabric edges folded over and sewn flat? Machine stiches or done by hand? Any other details and/or photos will be appreciated.

mflemming said:
The matching tie and hat ribbon is quite sharp. Is that a school tie?

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Boodles said:
Mr. Huang,
Could you tell us a bit more about the riband and how you made it (if you did as I suspect)? From your post of some time ago I saw how you made a riband with grograin so I suppose this one is somewhat similar, except the fabric has no bound edge. Are the fabric edges folded over and sewn flat? Machine stiches or done by hand? Any other details and/or photos will be appreciated.

The post I posted some time ago talks about making said riband. Strips of petersham put together and backed by bondaweb/hemmingweb with the bow stitched on by hand and velcro to attach to hat.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
My boater riband got soiled on that day and after cleaning and ironing, it had shrunk and it's not what it use to be like. I might have to remake the riband one day.

Big_e

Practically Family
I got my first Olney Boater. I had to order it from a store called Vintage Shirts in England.
b5.jpg

It is VERY stiff and I couldn't push my head into it! I knew it should fit because it had plenty of room in the front and back, it just wasn't the shape of my perfectly round head. SO I soaked it with warm water to soften it.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

The ribbon fell off as soon as I snapped the pic, it was just glued on. I can actually wear it as is but it just doesn't feel right without a good ribbon. I'll wear it until it dries and shapes to my head then re-glue the ribbon if it don't shrink. This gives me the option to get just that right ribbon!

b4.jpg

b6.jpg

Ernest

Cordite Blues

New in Town
round pegs in oval holes

Big_e said:
SO I soaked it with warm water to soften it.

Ernest

Ernest:
Did you submerge the whole hat or just the brim area, and for how long? Any notion how much you got it to move (I too am one of the Roundheads)?

Cordite Blues

Big_e

Practically Family
Cordite Blues said:
Ernest:
Did you submerge the whole hat or just the brim area, and for how long? Any notion how much you got it to move (I too am one of the Roundheads)?

Cordite Blues

I used the ariater hose in the kitchen sink and had the water lukewarm. Just kept spraying the whole hat gently until the brim got slightly soft and would give abit. I was then able to push the hat onto my head. It moved considerably. Before, the hat was HARD and wouldn't move at all. My head wouldn't even go partially into the hat. Now it fits as if made for me! It is almost dry and hardening up again. I'm not in direct sunlight. I'm letting it dry on my head indoors or I go outside in the shade. The ribbon shrunk almost instantly by a few centimeters so I need to look for another one. I'll ask the ladies at Jo Ann's about getting one.
Ernest

PS: If I had it to do over again, I probably could have saved the ribbon by using a hot hair dryer gun to try and gently work the glue loose before wetting the hat.

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
Looks great on you Ernest. But you look suitably crabby after the ribbon fell off! lol

Big_e said:
I got my first Olney Boater. I had to order it from a store called Vintage Shirts in England.
b5.jpg

It is VERY stiff and I couldn't push my head into it! I knew it should fit because it had plenty of room in the front and back, it just wasn't the shape of my perfectly round head. SO I soaked it with warm water to soften it.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

The ribbon fell off as soon as I snapped the pic, it was just glued on. I can actually wear it as is but it just doesn't feel right without a good ribbon. I'll wear it until it dries and shapes to my head then re-glue the ribbon if it don't shrink. This gives me the option to get just that right ribbon!

b4.jpg

b6.jpg

Ernest

Big_e

Practically Family
LOL! I'm thinking positive. If I can fasten a ribbon with hooks or velcro, I can have a couple to switch out.
Ernest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav