Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Mr E Train

One Too Many
A puggaree hatband would work just fine, Ernest. I hope you didn't hurt anything by soaking it. If the brim warps on you, just use a steam iron on a medium setting, put the hat on a flat surface and press it and shoot it with steam, letting the iron come in contact with the hat no more than a couple seconds at a time.

Big_e

Practically Family
Thanks Mr E, I'll keep that in mind. The brim looks fine though. On second thought, I'll take your advice and go with a puggeree ribbon. I found some nice ones.
Ernest

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Jeez, tried searching for boaters on eBay lately? My new default search string is boater hat -vivi. It's practically becoming a necessity.

Big_e

Practically Family
Well, I've ordered a puggaree hatband as Mr E suggested. Until it comes in, I made up a quick band using ribbon from Walmart and modelers glue. The glue sticks fast and good to the synthetic material.
Ernest

b9.jpg

b10.jpg

Cordite Blues

New in Town
hydraulic boater fitting -- wonderful lesson

Big_e said:
I used the ariater hose in the kitchen sink and had the water lukewarm. Just kept spraying the whole hat gently....[/QUOTE

Thanks for the tip, E. Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and I are in your debt.

CB.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
David Conwill said:
What does the "-vivi" do to the search?

-Dave

They're a line of women's hats designed to look like boaters, but made out of soft, flexible straw, like the straw trilbys that seem to be everywhere right now. There are also some really weird ones with floral patterns on them that look like bad 60s hippie ties.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Dinerman - sorry to take you back years but

Sir, With my dunce cap on, I ask how it is that hat 4, which is not a flat top nor a flat brim, meets the test for a boater? Is it the material or the weave? I have a hat much like #4 but it has a removable puggaree. This hat is shaped a bit like the coconut straws I have (Think Sam Snead) but the material and weave is more boater like.

Dinerman said:
All four of these are boaters, but look at the variety in the styles.

Oldest to newest
b6f9_1.jpg

68ce_1.jpg

3b1d_1.jpg

a99c_1.jpg

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I'd say that fourth one qualifies as a boater because of the material and the weave, although it's more of a boater/pork pie hybrid.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Mr. Big_e, could you say where you found the "nice ones?"

I'd like to buy a few more. Thanks.

Big_e said:
Thanks Mr E, I'll keep that in mind. The brim looks fine though. On second thought, I'll take your advice and go with a puggeree ribbon. I found some nice ones.
Ernest

I finally pulled the trigger and bought my first hat a few months ago. It was a boater. I won $27.00 for best dressed man at a Kentucky Derby party. So the hat is paying for itself, now I only need to win 4 more contests. ha.

The hat looks like Tony in Tarzana's hat on the first page.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Son_of_Atropos said:
I finally pulled the trigger and bought my first hat a few months ago. It was a boater. I won $27.00 for best dressed man at a Kentucky Derby party. So the hat is paying for itself, now I only need to win 4 more contests. ha.

The hat looks like Tony in Tarzana's hat on the first page.

Congratulations on the win! Is yours a Ponte Rialto or a Tesi?

Boodles

A-List Customer
Thanks for the link Mr. Big_e

I see the hat for sale but I was actually wondering where you ordered the puggaree. Vintage Shirt has some interesting offerings.

Big_e said:
I ordered mine through The Vintage Shirt Co. in England. Here is the link .
Ernest

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
Hello
I have a few boaters now and in an effor to prevent myself from buying more are there any vendors out there that sell ready made boater hat bands? I would love to switch up hat bands depending on my outfit/mood.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
I would also be down with maken them up myself if the meterials (clips and ribbon) where around

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925