Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Boodles

A-List Customer
Mr. ASG, your hat appears identical to one I have which is current production. I bought mine online from Miller Hats. I have several other boaters, some quite old, and I like them all. This newer one I wear with blue seersucker which has the nearly white stripe. This light colored boater seems to work well with that.

I'm happy to welcome another "Southern Gentleman" to this forum. Our ranks, sir, are dwindling.

ASG said:
Boater.jpg

Ponte+Rialto+Venice.jpg

"They claimed the hat was from the 1940s, but I can't independently confirm that assertion. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have an information about the age of this particular boater?"

ASG

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Boodles said:
Mr. ASG, your hat appears identical to one I have which is current production. I bought mine online from Miller Hats. I have several other boaters, some quite old, and I like them all. This newer one I wear with blue seersucker which has the nearly white stripe. This light colored boater seems to work well with that.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind, Boodles: Do you know who makes those hats for Miller? And are the hats as white in color as they appear on the web site? I prefer a natural straw color.

And how does the quality compare to your other boaters?

Thanks.

Boodles

A-List Customer
I don't mind at all...

All of these hats, with the Venice label, which I have seen are really leaning toward white, at least as white as the photo in question. I think, but cannot verify, that these are made in Venice. Someone on this forum said, some time ago, that this Italian Company may be the only source of new ones. However, I think that a London Company, Olney I think, markets a boater which looks a bit different but even that may just be the photos. The quality of these hats is not all that bad. The old ones are sometimes a bit thicker, in that there are more layers of material. I'm not all that hot on the light color. Another gripe is that the material looks as if it were pressed into boater shape which kinds of flattens out the texture of the weave. My old ones don't appear pressed like that. I like wearing it but am a bit happier wearing the old ones. If you are a larger hat size you are going to have a tougher time finding an old one. This may be a good choice for you.

skyvue said:
A couple of questions, if you don't mind, Boodles: Do you know who makes those hats for Miller? And are the hats as white in color as they appear on the web site? I prefer a natural straw color.

And how does the quality compare to your other boaters?

Thanks.

carldelo

One Too Many
Both JJ and Bencraft have the modern boaters. With your LO melon, you should really be trying them on, as their shape is so uncompromising. I remember trying on boaters many moons ago, and none of them case close to fitting, even those a size or two too big. The alternative is a phony boater made from panama straw which is more forgiving of head shape. Mr. E Train made his look pretty good with a ribbon swap, and he also has a large noggin, don't know whether he's LO or not.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
carldelo said:
Both JJ and Bencraft have the modern boaters. With your LO melon, you should really be trying them on, as their shape is so uncompromising.

You're right -- I tried one on at J.J. many moons ago, but I'll give it another try.

Anyone know offhand if JJ and Bencraft carry the same boaters?

Boodles

A-List Customer
I cannot say for sure if both shops offer the same hat.

But is sure looks like that is the case. Both say made in Italy. Noble sponsor of the Fedora Lounge, Mr. Bencraft, appears to have a price advantage. As carldelo pointed out already these hats don't flex to fit so I'd check the exchange policy before you buy.

skyvue said:
You're right -- I tried one on at J.J. many moons ago, but I'll give it another try.

Anyone know offhand if JJ and Bencraft carry the same boaters?

Mr E Train

One Too Many
carldelo said:
Mr. E Train made his look pretty good with a ribbon swap, and he also has a large noggin, don't know whether he's LO or not.

I'm basically between a 7 5/8 and a 7 3/4 and a long oval, so I usually wear a 7 3/4. My Ponte Rialto Venice boater is a 7 5/8, though, and fits my head very well.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Yeah, it seems like all the Italian boaters are either made by Tesi or Ponte Rialto. They seem fairly identical. For all I know they might even be made in the same factory.

Al Niente

Familiar Face
I really like wearing the boater. Hey, it's a nice warm and sunny time of year, and the boater makes me happy! I get lots of smiles. Seems to make other people happy, too. On occaision, I get the "Barbershop Quartet" comment. Can you sing barbershop? Thinking I can't ...or won't. But I break out into song...usually making up some irreverant ditty. Now, mind you, I do NOT sing well! The horrified look on their faces as I audition for the next "American Idol" spot is revenge enough. I never get a second comment. :D

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Al Niente said:
I really like wearing the boater. Hey, it's a nice warm and sunny time of year, and the boater makes me happy! I get lots of smiles. Seems to make other people happy, too. On occaision, I get the "Barbershop Quartet" comment. Can you sing barbershop? Thinking I can't ...or won't. But I break out into song...usually making up some irreverant ditty. Now, mind you, I do NOT sing well! The horrified look on their faces as I audition for the next "American Idol" spot is revenge enough. I never get a second comment. :D

I played Mayor Shinn, but you’re making me wish I’d been cast as a school board member! ”Lida Rose, I’m home again, Rose...”

-Dave

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Skimmer.....

This Skimmer that was made in Switzerland. I need some help on this one fellas. You guys seem to amazingly find out so much about these hidden gems, so I need your help.

Boater.jpg
Boater2.jpg

Here's the crest, I cant seem to make out what it says, the cursive lettering is very fancy and cant seem to make it out. I snapped some pics the best I could. Hopefully someone will be able to see it better than me.
Boater6.jpg
Boater4.jpg
Boater5.jpg

Thanks for lookin' Fellas. ;)

Super find! I also can't make out the words under the lady which appears to be the hat company. Is there a paper label behind the sweatband or any info on the sweatband? There is French on the liner so I assume the maker is from the French part of Switzerland.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mayserwegener said:
Super find! I also can't make out the words under the lady which appears to be the hat company. Is there a paper label behind the sweatband or any info on the sweatband? There is French on the liner so I assume the maker is from the French part of Switzerland.
That could be, but there is nothing under the sweat what so ever. [huh]

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
bolthead said:
Here's the crest, I cant seem to make out what it says, the cursive lettering is very fancy and cant seem to make it out. I snapped some pics the best I could. Hopefully someone will be able to see it better than me.
Boater6.jpg
Boater4.jpg
[Thanks for lookin' Fellas. ;)

I can read this:
Makers of the genuine "sunrise" (are those sun rays in yellow?)
Under the crest I read "swiss" and then "flexible"
and under the crest "straw hat":D
Did I solve the mistery?

I think the important words (probably the hat company) are under the woman. Mr. E Train might be right about the first word being Fischer but I can't make it out. There is also a word under it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael