Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
I think the important words (probably the hat company) are under the woman. Mr. E Train might be right about the first word being Fischer but I can't make it out. There is also a word under it.

oh, those words! :eusa_doh: I've got nothing.:(

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
No live auction links:whip:

??
ScarJo_popcorn.gif

Cordite Blues

New in Town
terrific image

Warbaby said:
Photo taken in Pittsburgh, PA around 1910-1912 by my grandfather:

Boaters_Pgh-Fire_7.5x10.jpg

Warbaby:
Great picture. Thanks for sharing. I wonder where they're all going?

Addendum: Wait, is that a fire being fought in the background? NOW I know where they're going!

Cordite Blues

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Actually...

...as you look at the picture, there are a number of interesting variants in there. Just goes to show you that things are never as "standard" as people seem to to think.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Mid-fogey said:
...as you look at the picture, there are a number of interesting variants in there. Just goes to show you that things are never as "standard" as people seem to to think.

The plantation-style straw hat with the indented crown and rolled brim in the foreground on the left is particularly interesting - I've never seen one like it from that period. I can also spot a couple of boaters that appear to have snap brims, rather than flat. Note also that these pre-WWI boaters have shallower crowns than the ones from the 20s and 30s. And what's up with that group of men on the upper left wearing bowlers? Bankers or gangsters?

BTW - Here's a photo of my grandfather wearing a boater from the around the same time period. Note that he's wearing what appears to be a knit tie with a square end. I'd always thought that this style appeared in the 1940s.

Ira_Boater_7.5x10.jpg

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
David Conwill said:
The porkpie-ish crown on the hat in the foreground is interesting. Is that a "soft" straw, I wonder?

-Dave
Dave, I'd say that hat is very close to a modern-day 'planter' style, like this:
KirJXAT6X8LFoMi1PS24ZiNU7eijyXTn-uLHMqD8MsZyaIDP2g56znqraMDifiTIP4dDi2Ts-NU5Q5aWl5iYkJwKM3vEBeopgEp14MgnsikO94890SKbViwNT4DYlgdKR8ejcsE7ME6Wl_uQXYXmysuLWllcm7K1VTPPamNvYwJ5Fta8cw

Warbaby said:
The plantation-style straw hat with the indented crown and rolled brim in the foreground on the left is particularly interesting - I've never seen one like it from that period.
I agree; didn't know they were worn back in the day.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
buler said:
Well, the policy has been changed.... but the rationale for not posting them stays the same in my mind.

B

My rationale for not posting them is purely a selfish instinct; if I like something and want to bid on it, no way in hell am I posting it until it's over, because I want the herd as thin as possible. If it's something that I couldn't use but that other people might be interested in (like a size 7 boater), I have no problem posting it. I understand that other people who may have already been interested in that item might not like it, but hey, dem's the rules.

Personally, I'd be very happy if the rules went back to the way they were, because I liked it that way. It made total sense to me. However, since they've relaxed the rules, I don't have a problem with the occasional live-auction post, as long as it's in the spirit of pointing out something cool to your fellow loungers and not just drawing attention to one's own auctions (although that's fine for the Classifieds).

Thankfully, the Lounge hasn't gone live-auction-post-happy like I thought it would when the rules changed, and I think it's mostly attributable to that normal human quality of self interest. Most of us aren't magnanimous enough to broadcast to everyone the eBay auctions we have a personal vested interest in, and thank heavens for that.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Warbaby said:
BTW - Here's a photo of my grandfather wearing a boater from the around the same time period. Note that he's wearing what appears to be a knit tie with a square end. I'd always thought that this style appeared in the 1940s.

Ira_Boater_7.5x10.jpg

I saw a photo from the '20's of Jimmie Rodgers wearing a boater, white shirt tucked in, a squared-off tie like that, and blue jeans with a huge long watch chain that went all the way from one pocket to the other and hung down to his crotch. He looked cool as all hell. I'll have to see if I can find it.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Mr E Train said:
My rationale for not posting them is purely a selfish instinct; if I like something and want to bid on it, no way in hell am I posting it until it's over, because I want the herd as thin as possible. If it's something that I couldn't use but that other people might be interested in (like a size 7 boater), I have no problem posting it. I understand that other people who may have already been interested in that item might not like it, but hey, dem's the rules.

Personally, I'd be very happy if the rules went back to the way they were, because I liked it that way. It made total sense to me. However, since they've relaxed the rules, I don't have a problem with the occasional live-auction post, as long as it's in the spirit of pointing out something cool to your fellow loungers and not just drawing attention to one's own auctions (although that's fine for the Classifieds).

Thankfully, the Lounge hasn't gone live-auction-post-happy like I thought it would when the rules changed, and I think it's mostly attributable to that normal human quality of self interest. Most of us aren't magnanimous enough to broadcast to everyone the eBay auctions we have a personal vested interest in, and thank heavens for that.

I want to start off right away by saying I'm not trying to start an argument here. I just want to point out that what you said (highlighted in blue) makes perfect sense. So why wouldn't you apply that logic and not post live auctions of hats your not interested in. Others like the herd as thin as possible too.

B

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I agree B. You're not doing anyone here a favor by posting a live auction; except, of course, if you happen to know that the seller is seriously misrepresenting the item.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick