Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Good man!

I love wearing my Boater during the summer (well, what passes for a summer here in Blighty!).

Do it! You know it makes sense ;)

Thanks Dubya. Yeah, the Australian summer can be unmercifully hot, and I really don't have a summer hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. I'm gonna head off to the big city today and see what's on offer at the local shop...

EDIT

Well, I went to the local hatter's yesterday in my summer best (the lady at the hat-shop seemed to think so, anyway), and asked to look at their boaters. They had a nice selection of them and I've figured out what my size is. But at $100 for a cheaper one and going up from there, I think I might wait for a sale before I plonk down the cash.

What's a reasonable price for a good-quality traditional straw boater?

Last edited:
Panama weave boater

Body and ribbon are in mint condition... sweatband almost completely severed from the fabric reed. A winter replacement is in order.

panamaboater1.jpg

panamaboater2.jpg

panamaboater3.jpg

panamaboater4.jpg

panamaboater5.jpg

panamaboater6.jpg

panamaboater7.jpg

panamaboater8.jpg

job

One Too Many
I am going to be wearing a Tesi boater this summer. I have 2 other Tesi straw hats and I an very happy with them.

Very nice, Alan. Is the sweatband salvagable in any way?

Not really. The stitched edge is in rough shape and though it's a nice old thin sweatband with rolled edge, I think it will harden and crack from any contact with perspiration. There is a small fabric encased reed that is still in place - I might try to reattach the sweat to it using fabric glue. But in the end, a new sweat from Optimo is probably the way to go. The hat fits well and it was very reasonable.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Incredible panama boater, Alan!! I have a panama boater that's very similar to this.....well yours is pretty much mint and mine is not. I can't get over the incredible condition of the straw. Even though the sweatband needs to be replaced, I think this is an incredible. It even has a beautiful ribbon with frayed edge. Its just fantastic. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
It's great to see detailed photos of these Panama boaters-- very nice! Now there's a boater I don't think I'd mind wearing too much. Is it flexible like a Panama fedora?

I see that Miller Hats stocks them too, for pretty reasonable prices. I wonder what the weave is like.

Edward

Bartender
Captivating photos! Everyone under an umbrella and you under a boater... guessing there is a good story that goes along with these pictures.

It bucketed down all day, but quite a few of us persisted with boaters. Fortunately i spent enough time under a brolly myself that it did no harm to the straw!

It's great to see detailed photos of these Panama boaters-- very nice! Now there's a boater I don't think I'd mind wearing too much. Is it flexible like a Panama fedora?

It is more flexible than a straw boater, but doesn't feel quite like a lightweight Panama fedora. The body is blocked firmly to hold the boater shape. The top of the crown makes a nice drum sound when tapped. The sewn underwelt brim edge extends almost a half inch which, together with the thickness of the straw, helps to keep the brim perfectly flat. The hat weighs 3 ounces.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Stetson Standard Quality Boater 1930s

3.5" crown x 2.5"-2 3/8"-2.5" brim, 20 L black frayed ribbon

My first Boater! I finally decided to go for one. The crown/ brim dimensions and black ribbon are just what I had been looking for. It's a real bonus that I found a Standard Quality.

This one has the "Stetson Self-conforming" sweatband:
The crown has a reverse taper throughout (front/back and sides), resulting in some spare room of more than 3/8" behind the sweatband. The sweatband, being suspended on itself, is free to adapt to the headshape at least to some degree. I my case, it happens to fit perfectly.

Imprint reads: Sept 24th 1929 / U.S. Pat. No. 1729540

P1050345.jpg

P1050342.jpg

P1050341.jpg

Note the reverse taper:

P1050351.jpg

P1050354.jpg

P1050339.jpg

P1050322.jpg

P1050331.jpg

P1050317.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I knew you would like it, Alan. :)

By the way, this Stetson Standard Boater has the flexible-brim feature near the brim/ crown break. Fascinating piece of work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany