Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Hi all bought this one recently love it never thought i'd ever wear one but I am trying to id the maker any thoughts
DSC_0050.jpg
DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg
DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

regards
VM

boaters four

I have five boaters... these are the four that fit comfortably and receive regular wear. I love them. All have been posted to this thread in greater detail, but I thought you might enjoy seeing the variation in materials and weave side by side.

3boaters4.jpg

3boaters3.jpg

3boaters2.jpg

3boaters1.jpg

Thanks... That's the one I just replaced. The ribbon is from a 1960s era Dobbs milan. Not a perfect meld of decades, perhaps, but i like it too.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Right after buying this 1950's Dobb's boater, one of my son's "friends" decided it would be funny to knock it off his head onto a tile floor. This is the result:
934f4eba.jpg

Is there any way to repair it, restoring it to its original beauty?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Short answer: no. I think you could glue the edge, and maybe fill it in with some sort of stuffing, like maybe cornflakes (only kidding), but it will still look pretty obvious. I think you need to extract the cost of replacement from that little piece of I better not say it who destroyed your hat.

Knox straw bowler/boater

A puzzler!

Constructed like a straw boater, but with a domed crown. Ribbon bow on the opposite side - Donna didn't think a woman's hat would have the size tag in this manner. Era unknown. Nicely made in excellent condition.

knoxbowler2.jpg

knoxbowler3.jpg

knoxbowler4.jpg

knoxbowler5.jpg

Copper foil imprint on soft leather sweat.

knoxbowler6.jpg

knoxbowler7.jpg

knoxbowler8.jpg

knoxbowler1.jpg

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Alan, Interesting hat. I'm not 100% sure that if qualifies for the boater faction. Maybe it belongs in the derby section. I've never seen anything like it.

DNO

One Too Many
Looks like I can finally join the boater faction. I was taking a short cut through the toy section at a local thrift shop, enroute to the hats and scarves when I spotted this beauty sitting on a shelf....in the toy section. It's size 57, so too small for my bulbous head but I couldn't just leave it there! It was in excellent shape and I just had to rescue it.

boater1.png

boater4.png

boater3.png

boater2.png

No idea at all of the age. Now, if I could just find one that fit!

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
What I never really liked is how low they are. It looks like it would sit on your head, and I don't like it when my fedoras do that. What would be considered a standard crown height?

A typical crown height on a vintage boater is 3 1/2" When it fits well, the hat is supported from the sweatband and though the inside of the crown does come just about to the top of my head I'm not aware of it. Most are very light and comfortable. I have found that sweatbands from the early ones do not hold up well to sweat, so you need to be careful on very hot days.

The crown on the Knox bowler-boater is about 4 5/8" at the highest point.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Late to the party...
Alan, I'm glad the Knox bowler-boater fits so well. I was thinking of you when I saw it on ebay.

Do any specific hatters make custom boaters? VS, BSH, Tumwater, FPH, etc?

Not that I know of. Making Boaters requires a straw-pressing machine; to my knowledge, there is only one contemporary mass producer, located in Italy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR