Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
This one is one big boater for sure...

27456.jpg

Taken in 1926 to celebrate the Straw Hat Day.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Wonder where that giant boater ended up....obviously not straw. Maybe someone on here will find it. I assume that picture is from the US. Any idea where it was taken?

Cute flappers. Amusing to think that when girls first started appearing in public in the US looking like that it was a scandal like when bikinis first appeared in the 50's. Now the typical teenage school/college age probably wears less clothes than that! How attitudes have changed.

Last edited:

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
Wonder where that giant boater ended up....obviously not straw. Maybe someone on here will find it. I assume that picture is from the US. Any idea where it was taken?

Cute flappers. Amusing to think that when girls first started appearing in public in the US looking like that it was a scandal like when bikinis first appeared in the 50's. Now the typical teenage school/college age probably wears less clothes than that to school! How attitudes have changed.

Oh yes! Here's the link to the page where the picture is from http://search.tpl.lib.wa.us/southsound/southsound.asp?now=14-May-2004

After a quick googling it seems like The Tacoma Totem Pole should be in Washington. Also here's another picture of a big boater, size 39 and 3/4 actually.

Corbis-BE004287.jpg

No other info thought that it was photographed May 8th of 1924. http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/BE004287/man-in-a-giant-straw-hat

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
I have not worn a boater since age 16 at school and my old school dropped them as an anti-elitist measure I suspect. I like the weave on the top one on the stack. The biggest problem at school was keeping them intact so we inevitably fibreglassed them and that made them heavy but indestructible.

I purchased a Boater yesterday at an antique store. Probably from around 1950. Same ribbon as the one on top. But not same weave. To small for me to wear but just love looking at it hanging on the wall. Now thinking I'm gonna have to have a new one for spring. Damn the elitists and full speed ahead!

ernesto

New in Town
12913102fo.jpg

12913137js.jpg

Hello there, this my
first post! Here is the picture of one of mine straw boaters. I bougth it at a flea market in Brussels , Belgium.
This is the second picture , where you can see the inside of the hat. Here you can read Radium english fashion, extra fine London make.
Is anyone familiar with the maker Radium ?

Last edited:

wandering-trader

New in Town
Hello there, this my
first post! Here is the picture of one of mine straw boaters. I bougth it at a flea market in Brussels , Belgium.
This is the second picture , where you can see the inside of the hat. Here you can read Radium english fashion, extra fine London make.
Is anyone familiar with the maker Radium ?

Can you flip the sweat or remove the liner and see a union tag, size tag, or store stock tag? That would help us pin this down to a year range.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Alan, that is pretty sweet! I've not seen a boater with that fine a weave before.

On another note I've recently joined your faction I picked up a nice BB boater with the original box I need to take some photos of. At the moment we are in our rainy season so I've been reluctant to wear it much so far.

T Rick

Practically Family
Alan, that's possibly the best looking boater I've ever seen (I think it's the fine weave that grabs my admiration).

I just got my first boater a few weeks back on eBay, a Stetson from who knows when (imported from Italy, it has the gold logo). I need to get some pics and post it up.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Damnation, Alan! I am sure glad that beauty went to a Lounger:). I watched it for a week, intending to bid on it. At the last minute, with fat little bid entered, I did not pull the trigger - decided I had more boaters than I can wear.;) Oh, well, congratulations on a wonderful boater!:eusa_clap

Thanks! Get that boater photographed, T Rick... looks to be from the 1950s.

Grizzly, only one other last minute bidder on this one. I also have quite a few boaters but I keep being tempted. There are so many variations in weave within a form that varies hardly at all. No two in my collection are the same.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
My relatively new (to me) vintage Brooks Brothers boater. Since my style has changed from early to mid-1950s to early to mid-1930s I've had a hankering for a boater all last year.

I was lucky to find one in this nice of condition in 60/7 1/2 with the original box! I've not worn it much since its our winter/rainy season at the moment. But next Friday is opera night so I might try by best to channel Maurice Chevalier and wear it with my black tie rig!

Do you boater faction-istas have any idea on the age? My hunch is that it is not that old (1960s or more recent perhaps?)

Also the box edge is torn about half way on the bottom, any hints on repairing it other than be busting out my scotch tape? :confused: Thanks!

405602714.jpg

405602715.jpg

405602716.jpg

405602717.jpg

405602718.jpg

405602713.jpg

I guess this is a boater, but I couldn't find anything quite the same. Can anyone guess its age? I really favor the look!
A younger newby to hats (not moi, my daughter's BF) snagged this one from Ebay. No info whatsoever, but a pristine made-in-Italy specimen (not to be confused with Italian astronauts, also called "specimen").

This may be something done releatively recently, but let the experts ponder. Thank you for any thoughts or opinions.

Charlie
IMG_0734_zps3031d388.jpg

IMG_0735_zps3a4a64fa.jpg

IMG_0742_zpscefa3ada.jpg

IMG_0745_zpsc6f0b4be.jpg

IMG_0743_zpsc3e07e41.jpg

IMG_0755_zps6472b848.jpg

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars
Interesting! It almost has a sort of fedora shape to it. I am a new hat person too so I don't know about age, but I do know I really want a nice boater!

Interesting! It almost has a sort of fedora shape to it. I am a new hat person too so I don't know about age, but I do know I really want a nice boater!

Absolutely! You can't show up on Winnipesaukee without your boater... especially on Wooden Boat show days. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda