Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

I was out bid on this boater, but based on how it’s siting on the mannequin head I doubt it’s the size 7 ¾ it was listed as (I’d guess it’s the length of the head opening not the size). I wanted it for the vented crown: very cool.

9F92E7CF-C545-458C-906F-1939CDA7249F.jpeg
4094CED2-5656-4C4F-A595-BC6B626328FA.jpeg
0D6D6D9D-58A2-4C44-B52B-E50785814519.jpeg
75C72782-97DC-4AF2-9DF7-1A393B22BCF2.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
Boaters have been on my mind a lot recently with the closure of Olney, the last English/UK company still making them. No idea where my next new one will come from, though somebody will doubtless at least be importing them, given that I can't imagine the likes of Eton changing their uniform over something as paltry as that! I have two - one a modern Olney with a black band, the other a Dunn of unknown age, with a french navy / navy blue band. I tend to wear them on occasions where either I know I will have complete control of the environment, or I won't be taking my hat off all day. It's true, in my experience, that almost any hat will b regarded as "fancy dress" by a certain type, and with a boater being a] that bit more fragile, and b] many people's only acquaintance with one being seeing the top being punched out of them on-screen.....

My latest outing in the blue band, last Sunday at the 2023 Chap Grand Flaneur:

1684576388545.png

This is it again at a wedding in the South of France in 2017:

1684576438712.png

Couple of good side profile shots from 2015:
1684576514840.png
1684576538948.png

Amusingly, this Reuters shot from the 2011 Chap Olympiad appeared atop a New Zealand newspaper column on "being the perfect English gentleman" - if only they knew!

1684576635342.png

Edward

Bartender
This is the Olney, must be around 2010 I think in these shots. Not got any more recent photos, alas, but it still gets worn:

1684577088905.png

1684577109867.png

1684577167915.png

Those are probably all Olney boaters in these photos. To the best of my understanding, Olney made all boaters sold in the UK under various labels for years. Mostly they sold under their own name for about GBP50.... until they announced they were closing own, and prices on remaining stock shot up everywhere. Locks still stock boaters, though I don't know where they have them made. I'm unlikely to be buying one of those any time soon, as they retail at around GBP225. (In Locks, you can also buy a cashmere beanie for, depending upon model, anywhere from £95 to £195. Not a typo!)

Gamble and Gun are offering "British made" boaters in 2023 for around GBP£80, which doesn't seem unreasonable. Not sure how flexible the definition of "British Made" is here, i.e. whether it means from scratch or the straw bodies are imported and finished here. Good to know it's still an option, though. I'd like a couple more variations in ribbon, especially one with my club colours on it.

The Shooman

Practically Family
They look to be the same make.

1). How is a boater supposed to fit?
2). Do these fit true to size? Anyone have a boater from these sellers?
3). Do they shrink?

https://bencrafthats.com/collections/straw-hats/products/boater-straw-hay-by-tesi

https://oconnellsclothing.com/oconnells-straw-boater-hat-straw-boater.html

I understand that boaters are not really the most comfortable hat to wear, they are more stylish than practical, is this right? None of the ones l have ever tried on have fit me at all, they don't sit on the head very well. Can we please talk about boater fit and comfort.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Shooey

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

You might spend some time digging in this thread for some thoughts a d background on Boaters.

3). Do they shrink?

https://bencrafthats.com/collections/straw-hats/products/boater-straw-hay-by-tesi

I understand that boaters are not really the most comfortable hat to wear, they are more stylish than practical, is this right? None of the ones l have ever tried on have fit me at all, they don't sit on the head very well. Can we please talk about boater fit and comfort.

Shooey

Edward

Bartender

3). Do they shrink?

Shooey

Ideally, it's best to try one on. A lot of folks talk of wearing a boater a size down from everything else, as they sit higher on the head. I've always bought my regular size and never had a problem. They won't sit quite as easy as a Panama or other straw fedora type, but I don't find mine at all uncomfortable or impractical to wear - you just have to be very careful where (and around whom) you set them down).

The Shooman

Practically Family
Wow, l have read a bunch of boater threads, but l have never seen this one.

@Edward Of course this is sensible advice, nothing quite like trying a hat on in person. The boaters in my area aren't that good, and none over the last couple of years have fit me, so it is going to be a waiting game.

Here are my local boaters:
https://smart-alec-hatters.myshopif...hats-straw-boater?_pos=1&_sid=683c69034&_ss=r

https://www.cityhatters.com.au/products/hills-deluxe-double-boater?_pos=4&_sid=063447e4e&_ss=r

https://www.cityhatters.com.au/products/hills-straw-boater-1?_pos=1&_sid=063447e4e&_ss=r

The boater is like the top hat and bowler, a terrible fit; such rigid hats. Options are so limited locally.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
The boater is like the top hat and bowler, a terrible fit; such rigid hats. Options are so limited locally.
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Sorry, a bad joke. Options are definitely limited. In my years of hunting pristine bowlers, I've found exactly Zero in all of Texas, New Mexico, and Oklahoma. Ebay and Etsy are the friends you love to hate.
The great ones are out there, and a lot of bowlers can be bought at attractive prices, it just takes time and effort.

Bowlers and toppers and, I assume, boaters are as comfortable as any other hat but getting the right fit is important. Getting a hat in your size is an important first step. Unlike many soft felt hats, it is difficult to stretch or shim a stiff felt up or down even one size. Next, I have found, that length and width measurements are equally critical in getting a good fit. To make matters worse, sometimes even the sweatband taper and thickness can be factors more so than with soft felt hats. I usually have a lengthy conversation with sellers to get these critical measurements and pictures before I buy.

I wish I had a magic formula. My best advice is to find a boater (or other stiff felt) that fits well, measure everything and take pictures, then use those measures for your search. Good luck.

52957913209_b23327aeba_b.jpg 20230418_084947.jpg

The Shooman

Practically Family
@Rmccamey yes, those harder hats will take time to find the right fit; they either fit or they don't, there isn't any wiggle room like with the softer felts.

I have thought about developing a system with measurements, and since you mentioned it here it is probably a good basic starting point. All l need is one bowler and a couple of boaters and it will fill my collection...want to avoid falling off the wagon and buying hat after hat after hat. I have fallen off the shoe wagon far too many times, so the last thing l want is to fall off the `hat wagon' and end up with 100 hats. ;)

Thankyou for all your advice. I just need to be patient and not rush into things.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Good luck on the hunt. I've found the LxW measures are most helpful in getting stiff felts that fit, I just have to "train" the sellers how to take the measurements (I ask for measures in cm rather than inches for - usually - greater accuracy). Usually we exchange several pictures until I'm comfortable they are measuring what I want them to measure.

If you are a 1/8, I can hook you up with a bowler.

@Rmccamey yes, those harder hats will take time to find the right fit; they either fit or they don't, there isn't any wiggle room like with the softer felts.

I have thought about developing a system with measurements, and since you mentioned it here it is probably a good basic starting point. All l need is one bowler and a couple of boaters and it will fill my collection...want to avoid falling off the wagon and buying hat after hat after hat. I have fallen off the shoe wagon far too many times, so the last thing l want is to fall off the `hat wagon' and end up with 100 hats. ;)

Thankyou for all your advice. I just need to be patient and not rush into things.

What’s wrong with ending up with 100 hats?

The Shooman

Practically Family
If you are a 1/8, I can hook you up with a bowler.

Thanks for the kind offer, but sadly that is going to be too small.

You know...I went to a local hat shop in the hills (never been there, an hour away and a tricky drive), and l tried on the owners personal 1920's boater. It fit me perfectly and looked great on me. Certain hats absolutely pop where-as others don't, but the boater certainly did work. I am going back there soon to pick up a couple of great straws. Actually, l got a beauty today, a nice stylish monticristi (see other thread).

The Shooman

Practically Family
I tried buying a boater from:
- Bencrafts
- O'connells
- Delmonico
- Village hat shop
- O'connells

None of the sites will allow me to purchase. Most don't allow shipping overseas, others refuse to give a quote for postage, another keeps saying my details are not filled out. These sites are impossible to buy from.

What about this Stetson, but what is Koberg straw?...yet it says it is Sennett straw.
https://levine-hat-dev.myshopify.com/products/stetson-sennett-103407?variant=44879844949

Anyone bought from here?
https://www.desertcart.ae/products/22845175

Last edited:

The Shooman

Practically Family
Having done an experiment, l now have much more of an idea of what l am doing. Thanks to @Rmccamey I was able to do online sizing and nail the fit. The main thing was that the boater was an oval shape and had the right measurements.

The crazy part is that they sent me the wrong hat band; instead of a nice blue striped band, they sent me an eccentric red one instead. No matter because l can make it work with the right type of outfit. I find this hat really pops with high waisted brown trousers, a white shirt and red braces;it probably work with many things actually. It is not the real deal boater, and it is flimsy, but it was my first intro into grand things. Hills Hats are a funny old mob (check out their instagram), but a good mob; Mr HIlls in particular is a memorable character (he is the one who always wears a mask).
Boater 3.jpg

Now it's time to step up the boater action and get serious. My first custom order is this one by Cappelleria Melegari, it will be ready in about 6 weeks. Hopefully it is more of a straw colour and not too white.
Boater hat - custom 2.jpg

If it fits nice l will order this one:
Boater hat - custom 1.jpg

and then l may even order another one in a light purple to match my bowtie and neckties. etc. Elton John wore a boater to his wedding in the 80's and l always liked the look, and coincidently it matched his bowtie like mine will.
Elton John boater 1.jpg Elton John boater 2.jpg

for a final boater l may even order the Bates
https://www.bates-hats.com/products/hat-boater-natural

I have always loved the boater hat since l was a kid, and since l travel to the city park once a week and do festivals l will have ample occasion to wear them. Boaters suit me, so it is just a matter of finding the right clothes to wear which each boater. I'll probably be the only man in a boater, but l don't care. Life is too short not to indulge in my favourite hat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner