Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
It looks like you are well on your way to good times with some outstanding hats. Keep us posted with more pictures as you get hats on your head "out in the wild", so to speak. :)

Having done an experiment, l now have much more of an idea of what l am doing. Thanks to @Rmccamey I was able to do online sizing and nail the fit. The main thing was that the boater was an oval shape and had the right measurements.

The crazy part is that they sent me the wrong hat band; instead of a nice blue striped band, they sent me an eccentric red one instead. No matter because l can make it work with the right type of outfit. I find this hat really pops with high waisted brown trousers, a white shirt and red braces;it probably work with many things actually. It is not the real deal boater, and it is flimsy, but it was my first intro into grand things. Hills Hats are a funny old mob (check out their instagram), but a good mob; Mr HIlls in particular is a memorable character (he is the one who always wears a mask).
View attachment 570825

Now it's time to step up the boater action and get serious. My first custom order is this one by Cappelleria Melegari, it will be ready in about 6 weeks. Hopefully it is more of a straw colour and not too white.
View attachment 570826

If it fits nice l will order this one:
View attachment 570827

and then l may even order another one in a light purple to match my bowtie and neckties. etc. Elton John wore a boater to his wedding in the 80's and l always liked the look, and coincidently it matched his bowtie like mine will.
View attachment 570828 View attachment 570829

for a final boater l may even order the Bates
https://www.bates-hats.com/products/hat-boater-natural

I have always loved the boater hat since l was a kid, and since l travel to the city park once a week and do festivals l will have ample occasion to wear them. Boaters suit me, so it is just a matter of finding the right clothes to wear which each boater. I'll probably be the only man in a boater, but l don't care. Life is too short not to indulge in my favourite hat.

The Shooman

Practically Family
You all might have seen this, but in case you haven't, this is a great film clip. Boaters everywhere, and some bowlers; almost everyone wore a hat, and no fedoras.

I watched a 1900 French one earlier and saw hundreds of boaters being worn by within minutes on the video. One after another, man after man, all wearing boaters. Not one single person without a hat on.

I remember watching a film of my home town in the 1890's. Men were going to work in top hats. There was even one photo l saw of men visiting the zoo in tails and top hats. Just amazing.

The Shooman

Practically Family
It looks like you are well on your way to good times with some outstanding hats. Keep us posted with more pictures as you get hats on your head "out in the wild", so to speak. :)

Let me build up to posting photos of me in the hats. Took some today actually, but won't post them yet.

Found out that l actually did order that o'connells boater, and it is good because l won't have to custom order one with that ribbon now. It fits really good, and it certainly makes a statement, so l can well understand why many would be too afraid to wear it in public.

I took the plunge and wore it up the street packed with people doing Christmas things. It is hot in Australia, so l wore it with navy trousers,a white shirt, burgundy shoes and striking red/navy argyle socks. It was a good colour combination and the hat suits me. Most people didn't care, but some people certainly looked stunned. :p To me, you either stay scared or you go out and do it. I did it! I don't care what people think because l know l look good in it, and most people didn't seem to care either. Life is too short to not experience these things. Only took me 50 years to build up the courage, but since l need to wear hats everyday now, l may as well take and plunge and have an adventure and enjoy it as much as possible. Others wore baseball caps, l wore the boater with a smile. I am sure some of those baseball cap wearers wish they had the courage to wear my hat.

Still got the custom order to come with the boater with the black hat band. Coming at the end of January. In the meantime, here are my boaters and the cordobes sombrero.
Straw hat collection 2.jpg
Straw hat collection 4.jpg

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very nice.

Let me build up to posting photos of me in the hats. Took some today actually, but won't post them yet.

Found out that l actually did order that o'connells boater, and it is good because l won't have to custom order one with that ribbon now. It fits really good, and it certainly makes a statement, so l can well understand why many would be too afraid to wear it in public.

I took the plunge and wore it up the street packed with people doing Christmas things. It is hot in Australia, so l wore it with navy trousers,a white shirt, burgundy shoes and striking red/navy argyle socks. It was a good colour combination and the hat suits me. Most people didn't care, but some people certainly looked stunned. :p To me, you either stay scared or you go out and do it. I did it! I don't care what people think because l know l look good in it, and most people didn't seem to care either. Life is too short to not experience these things. Only took me 50 years to build up the courage, but since l need to wear hats everyday now, l may as well take and plunge and have an adventure and enjoy it as much as possible. Others wore baseball caps, l wore the boater with a smile. I am sure some of those baseball cap wearers wish they had the courage to wear my hat.

Still got the custom order to come with the boater with the black hat band. Coming at the end of January. In the meantime, here are my boaters and the cordobes sombrero.
View attachment 572043 View attachment 572044

The Shooman

Practically Family
I've been working my way slowly through this thread, so if l touch on stuff that has been said before, bare with me.

How boaters are made
I was looking carefully at my Ponte Rialto boater and it looks almost all handmade. All of the straw is hand sewn together with only the outer brim stitch being double machine sewn. I am not really surprised because those hats are so scarce online, so few seem to be available. I suspect that only a small team of people hand make them, and they distribute to all the companies like Capas, Tesi, and others. Anyone know more about this and how they are made? How many workshops are there that make the genuine Italian boaters?...I guess there is Ponte Rialto and Cappelleria Melegari, but who else?

The Scala boater
This hat is a bit of a mystery. It looks really strong and traditional, but numerous folks here say it is flimsy and not a real boater. What is wrong with the Scala? It looks really thick, so why is it flimsy?

----------------
The boater hat is a very different look. People will never be used to it because it is so different, but that is how it is with the boater, you've just got to wear it. It is a smart hat, so why not. One bloke today saw me in the boater and his eyes opened up so wide, but most people didn't care. Shrinking violets and conformists need not apply.

I've been working my way slowly through this thread, so if l touch on stuff that has been said before, bare with me.

How boaters are made
I was looking carefully at my Ponte Rialto boater and it looks almost all handmade. All of the straw is hand sewn together with only the outer brim stitch being double machine sewn. I am not really surprised because those hats are so scarce online, so few seem to be available. I suspect that only a small team of people hand make them, and they distribute to all the companies like Capas, Tesi, and others. Anyone know more about this and how they are made? How many workshops are there that make the genuine Italian boaters?...I guess there is Ponte Rialto and Cappelleria Melegari, but who else?

The Scala boater
This hat is a bit of a mystery. It looks really strong and traditional, but numerous folks here say it is flimsy and not a real boater. What is wrong with the Scala? It looks really thick, so why is it flimsy?

----------------
The boater hat is a very different look. People will never be used to it because it is so different, but that is how it is with the boater, you've just got to wear it. It is a smart hat, so why not. One bloke today saw me in the boater and his eyes opened up so wide, but most people didn't care. Shrinking violets and conformists need not apply.
I think with the Scala it is a matter of sizing....they don't use much. I always wondered about removing the ribbon (and perhaps the sweat also) and starching the crap into it! I see no reason this would not work (would just be a lot of work) as it is indeed real wheat straw like so many of them are.....

The Shooman

Practically Family
The ole Scala boater gets critiqued

Here is what l found when looking online at the Scala boater. It really does cut corners and looks second rate when l look closely at it.

The weave looks looser, and much more rough. A very flimsy weave. Brim does not look as thick as the proper quality boaters. The handwork is more rough too, ie, less skilled makers. It really is less classy and skimps on everything.
Scala boater 2.jpg

Not made to a high level at all. So rough and poorly finished, and look at that unrefined looking headband. It looked really good on amazon and in some videos, but when l see it here it looks so low rent. Almost bought it on amazon the other week, but l was wary due to the price and it being on amazon like some massed produced hat. Glad my instincts told me to stay away....would have really regretted it.
Scala boater 5.jpg

Scala boater 4.jpg

Looks like it could be a synthetic sweat band. Oh they really are cutting corners at every opportunity. Are they made in a sweatshop using cheap labor? Are they made in Italy or offshore? None of the things about the ole Scala boater gives good vibes. They really do cost cut at every opportunity.
Scala boater 3.jpg

Last edited:

The Shooman

Practically Family
It is new year's day, and waiting for guests to arrive while wearing my boater.

A nautical theme of navy shirt with stark white cotton trousers and the boater. The photo shows the boater can be worn on hot days with casual clothing. It is too hot in Australia to be wearing blazers.
My Boater worn.jpg

Burgundy monks go even better with this outfit, but compensated for it by wearing these vibrant socks to match the hat band.
William Abraham socks - red striped.jpg

The Shooman

Practically Family
It was a special day because I received my custom boater from Cappelleria Melegari with the black ribbon. It fits me nice and will be more versatile than my Ponte Rialto with the blue/red ribbon.

Here are my two top boaters: Ponte Rialto (at top) and the Cappelleria Melegari (at bottom).
New boaters 1A.jpg
New boaters 2A.jpg

Lets compare the two. The strength of the two are similar...perhaps the Ponte Rialto (coloured ribbon) is just a touch stronger, but both are pretty solid. The biggest difference is in the weave of the straw; the custom artisan who made the Melegari definitely does not do as neat/refined work as the artisan who made my Ponte Rialto, and it can clearly be seen in the photos. The floating sweatband on the Melegari is not attached as good as the Ponte either, so l need to put it on in a certain way so the sweatband doesn't sag down and show beneath the brim, but no big deal, it is not a huge problem.

The Ponte fits slightly wider where-as the Melegari fits my head like a glove. Both hats are made the same way, but both are made by different artisans.

Some interesting photos of the inside of my new Melegari. Look at the black threads inside...really unusual and odd, parts of the black thread is about an inch inside the edge of the hat.
Latest boater hat 1.jpg

Not as neat as my other one, and a bit thinner weave in parts too.
Latest boater hat 2.jpg

Overall l like the hat, and it will be a great addition to my collection. It will look really smart with a blazer.

The Shooman

Practically Family
Out and about in the city.

Was really in the mood for wearing the boater in the city today. Felt good wearing it, and no-one even blinked an eyelid all day. Boaters can be pulled off....i've got some middle age spread and don't give a stuff what anyone thinks of my boater, so it works for me.

(camera moved as it took my photo, so blurred).
Boater man - ole shooey.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Looking good. It is very rare for me to see a boater in my area, unfortunately, but they have a very classic look.

Out and about in the city.

Was really in the mood for wearing the boater in the city today. Felt good wearing it, and no-one even blinked an eyelid all day. Boaters can be pulled off....i've got some middle age spread and don't give a stuff what anyone thinks of my boater, so it works for me.

(camera moved as it took my photo, so blurred).
View attachment 590586

Ottmar Reich "Insuperable" "Asa", F.P. 6, Eng. 7 1/4, 59 cm, possibly earlier 1900s. This Kreissäge / Straw Boater is really interesting. It has a very Wide Black Band (8 cm, 3 5/32 inches) with a Pleated Bow paired with a Narrow Brim. The Bow has a Mother Pearl button. The Sweatband is made of very thin crosshatched textured leather that has hardened. The Liner Mark of an America Indian is really special. The American Indian was a common motif in late 19th Century and early 20th Century Germany. There is also a black Cord at the base of the Crown which is typical of the time. It's rare to find an old German Kreissäge in this size range especially one that is this unique. Ottmar Reich was originally a Straw Hat factory and in the 1920s started to also make Felt Hats.

53656945684_9148400812_h.jpg

53657549965_dd5de9bacd_h.jpg

53656942969_556d003b12_h.jpg

53656948419_a67c353b2f_h.jpg

53655711632_94db54abe1_h.jpg

53657306338_a5c5869e23_h.jpg

53657065390_bfad3e1080_h.jpg

The photo of the paper label was taken by the Seller and in the process he slightly damaged the Sweatband so I didn't want to take a risk of further damage trying to take a better one. The three size types are located at the bottom of the paper label.

53658028588_1411cad894_h.jpg

There is another Ottmar Reich "Insuperable" that was found by back in 2009 which is from a later time period.

[URL]https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/boater-faction.26728/page-49#post-2278410[/URL]

The Mother of Pearl button solved the mystery of the white thread stitch at the bottom of center of the bow on this Ottmar Reich Kreissäge of mine. For some reason I overlooked the Ottmar Reich "Insuperable" posted above.

30916802915_6b393dcbf8_b.jpg

[URL]https://germanaustrianhats.inv...-reich-hutfabrik/?do=findComment&comment=1627[/URL]

Natural Light

53658974473_d7a3c74682_h.jpg

53659212325_2a59f018b8_h.jpg

Ottmar Reich "Insuperable" "Asa", F.P. 6, Eng. 7 1/4, 59 cm, possibly earlier 1900s. This Kreissäge / Straw Boater is really interesting. It has a very Wide Black Band (8 cm, 3 5/32 inches) with a Pleated Bow paired with a Narrow Brim. The Bow has a Mother Pearl button. The Sweatband is made of very thin crosshatched textured leather that has hardened. The Liner Mark of an America Indian is really special. The American Indian was a common motif in late 19th Century and early 20th Century Germany. There is also a black Cord at the base of the Crown which is typical of the time. It's rare to find an old German Kreissäge in this size range especially one that is this unique. Ottmar Reich was originally a Straw Hat factory and in the 1920s started to also make Felt Hats.

The photo of the paper label was taken by the Seller and in the process he slightly damaged the Sweatband so I didn't want to take a risk of further damage trying to take a better one. The three size types are located at the bottom of the paper label.

There is another Ottmar Reich "Insuperable" that was found by back in 2009 which is from a later time period.

[URL]https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/boater-faction.26728/page-49#post-2278410[/URL]

The Mother of Pearl button solved the mystery of the white thread stitch at the bottom of center of the bow on this Ottmar Reich Kreissäge of mine. For some reason I overlooked the Ottmar Reich "Insuperable" posted above.

[URL]https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/18-ottmar-reich-hutfabrik/?do=findComment&comment=1627[/URL]

Natural Light

Insuperable

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
What can be said? That is amazing for its age.

[URL]https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/18-ottmar-reich-hutfabrik/?do=findComment&comment=1627[/URL]

Natural Light

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner