Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater or Panama?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to see a pic of that flexible boater. Mine, and every other one I've ever handled, is as stiff as a board.

Here you go:

boater2-1.jpg

I’m not saying it’s buttery supple like an expensive Panama (I hear they’re almost like linen), but it’s definitely not cardboardy like it seems some posters are implying. The crown on mine has a definite springy quality to it and isn’t in any respect less comfortable to wear than a panama.

I just don't want people to get the impression these are like wicker furniture. They're hats, not helmets.

-Dave

Oldsarge

One Too Many
There is something about a boater that absolutely screams for a bow tie. I don't wear bow ties. Got nothin' against them as does but I don't. Only in formal wear or evening garb would I put on a bow tie and that don't happen much, at all!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Dave, that's the term I wanted to use and couldn't work out. Wicker Furniture. It was like wearing a straw helmet.

Later

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Hi Dave, that's the term I wanted to use and couldn't work out. Wicker Furniture. It was like wearing a straw helmet.

Later

I rather like the stiffness... my #1 Boater is a vintage Lock & Co. < very stiff, very comfortable (floating sweatband), I had a piece of $%@! Scala < very flexible, awkwardly fitting, sometimes hot...

In modern boaters at least, flexible comes with lower quality (Jaxon, and Scala), Stiffness is higher Quality (Olney, Lock & Co.).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
In modern boaters at least, flexible comes with lower quality (Jaxon, and Scala), Stiffness is higher Quality (Olney, Lock & Co.).
The only vintage boater I've ever handled was my grandfather's which came from Worth & Worth c.1930. It was stiff as a board.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Here you go:

boater2-1.jpg

I’m not saying it’s buttery supple like an expensive Panama (I hear they’re almost like linen), but it’s definitely not cardboardy like it seems some posters are implying. The crown on mine has a definite springy quality to it and isn’t in any respect less comfortable to wear than a panama.

I just don't want people to get the impression these are like wicker furniture. They're hats, not helmets.

-Dave

You should switch those out for circular ones!

Luckytop

New in Town
Well said skyvue! David Conwil, you look quite dapper in the boater. I enjoy wearing one too, as well as a panama. What well dressed man doesn't have both for summer?

Edward

Bartender
I like both. A few years ago, I'd have been reluctant to don a boater, but have really taken to them in recent times. I have a couple of the 'soft' types - more fancy dress than anything. I now have two good boaters - an Olney I bought new (black band), and a Christies (I think). The latter is really nice. I don't know the true age: it was sold as "vintage" on eBay, but that only means "second hand" to the average person these days. Nice and solid, dark blue ribbon, and a slightly (half an inch or so) deeper crown than the Olney. I'm a big fan of a boater with black tie or other more formal occasions in the Summer, though I'm more likely to opt for a panama or similar day to day when I'm likely to want to set the hat down somewhere. Sharp as a nice, solid boater is, they're also fragile to some degree. Wouldn't want to wear one somewhere it might get sat on or thrown around....

I too am amused at the idea fo anyone in these parts considering a boater "dated". :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Very cool image. The Straw Hat Review opened on Broadway in 1939, and featured such future super stars as Jerome Robbins, Imogene Coca and Danny Kaye. It was produced by Max Liebman, who went on to produce Sid Caesar's Your Show of Shows in the early 50's, and the writing was by Danny Kaye's wife, Sylvia Fine. It was a spin off of the original Catskill comedy shows, that evolved into early television comedy. A very seminal show (you should pardon the expression).
OOOOHHHH, to have been a fly on the wall for that show!
Errr . . . back to our topic. :p

softouch

New in Town
Got an alert from Panama Bob yesterday. He has returned from the wilds of South America and he has a "boater" listed at a very good price. Check his Ebay store or his website. Not sure if I can post an Ebay link here, but you know how to find it.

And this is a shameless plug for Mr. Robert "Panama Bob" Weber who is getting me my second Montecristi.

Hal

Practically Family
I too am amused at the idea of anyone in these parts considering a boater "dated".
I'm afraid I have always associated boaters with either posh "public-school" (in the UK sense) types, or with butchers and fishmongers - and even at my advanced age am still having to learn that such associations should not be a reason for not adopting the garment concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran