Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boating Blazers

Lokar

A-List Customer
Vladimir Berkov said:
The interesting thing is that today pretty much anything involving a suit-style coat, tie and no jeans is a "suit." Blazers, sportcoats, actual suits are all sort of lumped together. Any formal-ish colored coat, tie and trousers combination that is not a business suit and is worn for a wedding or other special occasion is a "tux."

The "tux" thing (It winds me up the wrong way when people call tails a tux!) is mostly a US thing, I think. I've never known anyone in the UK (or Sweden since I moved here) refer to non-black tie as a "tux", although the term "tux" is something I've rarely heard in real life, except on TV.

Edward

Bartender
In my experience "tuxedo" is an Americanism, though it has gained ground over here, normally signifying something trendy, with aspirations to fashionability moreso than a traditional dinner jacket.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
This thread started on boating blazers and progressed through navy blazers to tuxedos and their derivation. Is it just a matter of time before we start discussing if it is correct for them to have notched lapels?

I think all threads end up there eventually...

;)

Notched lapels are not supposed to appear on a tux, period. Notched lapels are for the lounge suit and can be on a business suit but not a tux.

Notched Lapels are not in any way shape or form considered formal except by the WWF watching great unwashed.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Notched lapels are not supposed to appear on a tux, period. Notched lapels are for the lounge suit and can be on a business suit but not a tux.

Notched Lapels are not in any way shape or form considered formal except by the WWF watching great unwashed.
So, what about metal buttons on a dinner jacket? :p

I can honestly say that I have not seen silver or gold tone buttons on any type of formal jacket. Mostly it seems like they were cloth covered like with satin. I recall seeing gold tone buttons on double breasted blue blazers.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:

Gah! So that's why this groom looks so annoyed in this picture. His groomsmen thought they were going to WWF, instead of his wedding! Poor schlubs.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Orgetorix said:
Gah! So that's why this groom looks so annoyed in this picture. His groomsmen thought they were going to WWF, instead of his wedding! Poor schlubs.

Is the man in the white dress supposed to be the bride?
(Seriously, it looks like she's got a 5 o'clock shadow.)

cptjeff

Practically Family
boushi_mania said:
Is the man in the white dress supposed to be the bride?
(Seriously, it looks like she's got a 5 o'clock shadow.)

I had a similar reaction to a painting the other day at the art museum in Valencia- some painting by a Spanish artist, perfectly respectable, but I couldn't help but crack up, as the lady who was the subject was a dead ringer for Klinger from MASH.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Aaaand going back to the second topic of this thread, I ended up ordering something very much along the lines of the "trad" look from J. Press or Brooks Brothers — three buttons rolled to the middle, natural shoulders, hook vent, stitching on the lapels — but with darts in front, as I don't really like too much "sack", proper or not. I also specifically requested higher arm holes, just to belabor the point. (It was the only thing I thought they ought to have done differently with the suit I ordered from them back in 2008.)

Anyhow, as I've got that figured out, I'll return the discussion to the original topic of this thread. Perhaps eventually, I'll look into a proper boating blazer for myself, once I can justify having one. I sang barbershop for about a year in college, but that moment has passed....

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Orgetorix said:

Very odd combos there and I ain't talking about the notches...

*whisper* Par example, white bow ties with fold down stiff collars and short pleated tunic shirt... And flap pockets? And formed cuffs as well? *whisper*

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Charlie Huang said:
Very odd combos there and I ain't talking about the notches...

*whisper* Par example, white bow ties with fold down stiff collars and short pleated tunic shirt... And flap pockets? And formed cuffs as well? *whisper*
Aaaand so much for the topic. :rolleyes:

But while we're all scrutinizing this one photograph, what exactly is that on the table besides the wedding cake? Maybe it's just the monochrome playing tricks on my eyes, but I can't identify any of it.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
boushi_mania said:
Aaaand so much for the topic. :rolleyes:

But while we're all scrutinizing this one photograph, what exactly is that on the table besides the wedding cake? Maybe it's just the monochrome playing tricks on my eyes, but I can't identify any of it.

I think there is a plate of Custard Creams there... Near the back looks like a bowl of Ritz. At the front looks like a basket of those chocolate covered biscuits that you find in those Happy Family style boxes. Besides the cake there is your obligitory sacrificial bowls of fruits.

Then on the ceiling we have the obligitory fold-out paper bell left over from the Christmas party.

I am now physically giggling.

Edward

Bartender
AntonAAK said:
This thread started on boating blazers and progressed through navy blazers to tuxedos and their derivation. Is it just a matter of time before we start discussing if it is correct for them to have notched lapels?

I think all threads end up there eventually...

;)

Only en route to accusation and counter accusation of Naziism.... lol

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BurlyNate said:
and why does the tablecloth have tags on it?

It's most likely a wedding gift. It hasn't been ironed - looks right out of the box - so it could be great aunt Ida in Peoria attached the card to the gift itself. Wedding gifts used to be sent ahead - in fact, etiquette books to this day say it's a big faux pas to show up at the wedding or reception with them since you're saddling someone with having to gather them up and transport them to the bride's family's home, and things can get lost, misplaced or disappear.

And whatever is on the table was undoubtedly devoured. People used fruit & cookies for decorations during the holidays and for other special ocassions and nothing went to waste. My grandmother used to say nothing was harder on the teeth than a Christmas cookie that had been hanging on the tree for a week or two - bone dry with frosting that became akin to concrete.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Bookster

I just got this via Bookster on eBay:

bfront_001.jpg

I'm very pleased with it, and they were kind enough to include some spare fabric so that I can attempt to construct some kind of matching pugarree for my summer hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ