Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to date vintage boating blazers ...

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I often see vintage boating blazers advertised for sale on Ebay etc. However, unless the blazer is labelled, I don't have much idea about how to work out the date. Obviously the cloth would help, but one can't always tell from photographs.

Therefore does anyone have any ideas about blazer styles etc that might help to date them? I had thought about buttons since I have seen early blazers with four buttons, rather than three, but i also seem to recall seeing later ones with four buttons.

For example, this is advertised as being a boating blazer from the 1960s:
$T2eC16dHJI!E9qSO9)KFBQO2VY)K)!~~60_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-College-Boating-Blazer-Jacket-1960-s-Green-Striped-Mod-Indie-XS-36-chest-/170902006760?pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&hash=item27ca8dabe8
But could it just as easily be from the 1930s?

I'd be interested to know people's thoughts.

quote the seller: "it certainly looks and feels 60s"

I hate this kind of phrase as it asks you to accept that the teller knows what they're talking about. In the main, from sellers and from within the vintage community, most people do not know what they're talking about.

As regards boating blazers it's very difficult to tell without having the thing in your hands. Buttons can sometimes give a clue, but even that can be misleading. Without a label, all you can say is that the model is wearing a jacket that's far too short for him …

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, i have several images of 30s blazers; they're all three button and the construction is basically the same as the one you've posted. some have an embroidered crest, some don't.
they're one of those garments that would have changed little over the years so dating them is very difficult as BK has said. i'm sure the seasoned vintage blazer handler could tell the fabrics apart by feel, but i'm not such a person, and that's not much help for looking at them online either.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. This confirms my original thought: without actually handling a garment of this type and feeling the weight etc (especially when there is no makers/tailor's label) there is little to give away its age.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. That's very interesting. Looking at the 1960s blazer it was interesting to note that the label did not look like a sixties label, thus reminding us that labels (though often very useful) can be misleading.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tvShDoSSyAI/S1oLZTTnZ4I/AAAAAAAAA7U/hz6AQ7Fptm8/s1600/DSC_0028.JPG

Look at the London postcode of 'W', as noted in other threads this numbering system changed in 1917. As such, it appears that we are seeing a 1968 blazer with an old pre-1917 label.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
In the main, from sellers and from within the vintage community, most people do not know what they're talking about.

That makes me think of the sellers of vintage ties who automatically refer to ties under 50 inches long as being a boys tie. Or the people who list 1950s Tootal ties as 'sixties mod ties' even though they look nothing like a mod tie.

Ignorance can be irritating but it does help the odd bargain appear.

The green and white one arrived. Not sure on age (certainly no hints from the inside), but I'm thinking 30s - it's got my vintage radar humming, which is usually correct. The buttons are certainly old, but that doesn't mean much. It'll be perfect for a summer evening birthday/MBE party I'm going to on Saturday.

It's a feckin' beauty. (I don't usually like these blazers). If only I could find a cheap, old, pink one.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner