Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Dong B-10 Jacket review with pics!

Brettafett

One Too Many
I love the B-10. It has that classic WW2 pilot pedigree and is great as a practical, wearable winter jacket.
After seeing Thomas’ review of his Bob Dong B-10, my curiosity was piqued and I had to try one.
Brett Bob Dong B-10 42 1.jpg

I am very impressed and surprised how nice the jacket is. The quality is very good. Value for money is incredible.
I gauged I’d needed a size 42… luckily found one and pounced.
Brett Bob Dong B-10 42 2.jpg

Put into context I have owned a Buzz Rickson B-10 size 40 and have an ELC B-10 size 40 LONG.
My ELC B-10 has been the one jacket I have held on too all these years. I love it. It’s a superb cold weather flight jacket. Details, fit, the whole package is top class. The Buzz was a slightly bigger/ thicker jacket than the ELC all round, also very warm and well-made.
So, comparing this new Bob Dong B-10 with those jackets… its no Eastman, but it certainly compares pretty well…
Brett Bob Dong B-10 42 3.jpg

At 5’10, 72kgs, 39.5” to 40” chest etc… This size 42 fits relatively well, has room to spare. Lengths are good, even for me. The jacket is very comfortable, easy to manoeuvre in and relatively light. Certainly warm enough for the coldest UK winter! Bring it on!
I recon, this 42 would fit someone with an actual 42” to 43” (even 44”) chest, 5’8 to 6 ft, depending on fit preference. Fit is a funny thing, but at these prices, well worth the ‘try’.
For me, the 40 may fit a bit better in the body perhaps, more snug as a personal preference, but then may be a bit short, not sure.
Measurements (approx.):
Chest, pit to pit – 24"
Back, pit to pit – 24"
Shoulders – 19.25"
Back length – 25.75"
Sleeve length – 26"
P1250519.JPG

Jacket is very well-made. Stitching is neat, buttons and snaps are of good quality and work perfectly. Zipper is a brass-type Talon repro. Feels light, but works well enough.
The mid brown/ blonde mouton collar is very soft and luxurious (collar is a bigger than the ELC’s, quite similar to my old Buzz).
The fit pics are not great taken from mobile, colour looks washed out. The jacket on its give a better idea of actual colour.
Brett Bob Dong B-10 42 4.jpg

The knit cuffs have no seam, which is a win right there. They do not feel 100% cotton, maybe a blend, but they are strong, with a good amount of elasticity and appear right... I was initially concerned about the knit being a darker green than the body, as with the BR, but its not an issue. It looks fine.
Its been a long time since I had the BR, and I do not have any pics to compare, but from memory… I almost want to say that they have clone-copied a Buzz Rickson B-10. Amazing job! Especially for the price! Futures looking bright for us jacket enthusiasts! What else do these guys produce!!!
Brett Bob Dong B-10 42 5.jpg

I have just decided I have to try a 40, to be sure. Can get another 42 if the 40 is to short...
Brett Bob Dong B-10 42 6.jpg

I must also mention the guy I bought it from. His name is Lee and he has an Ebay presence, seller dlzlitchi2, shop VTGDR, (www.ebay.com/str/vtgdr). Seems to stock some decent gear. He answered my emails pretty quickly and in perfect English. The transaction was easy and the jacket took literally 9 days, from date of order, to arrive in my hands. No import duties or taxes paid.
Thanks for reading.
P1250525.JPG

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Some of the stuff coming out of China now is really worth a look. I got my wabash stripe jacket from there, got loads of wear out of it this summer and I'll be wearing it next year.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Thanks guys. Yes, China is making some very nice stuff, but... what they are calling some of it ;) ....
Bob Dong... Well, I was tempted to have a bit of fun with this, but decided to be professional. I was rather happy to have finally received my Dong. Never thought I would ever say this, but I do think I need one a size smaller ;) The darker green ends are not as much of a problem as I would have thought either.
There is a great looking horsehide A-2 'coming out' of China, I think its called a Roughrider... Classic.
Anyway.

Stand By

One Too Many
... and it’s like I always say: we are all fortunate to live at this time where there truly is every kind of jacket for everyone at every price point.
Unfortunate name though. But it adds to the conversation! :)

marmalademan

Banned
Hey Brett, how much do these go for? There arent any in his shop right now. I'll certainly be interested to see the neasurements for your 40

Mich486

One Too Many
What’s Bob Dong quality guys? How does it compare to Pike Brothers for instance? The price range seems similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What’s Bob Dong quality guys? How does it compare to Pike Brothers for instance? The price range seems similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Taobao price of the Bronson is only around USD112. Go for the Pike Bros if your price after duties, shippings, buying fees etc equal/very close to that of a Pike Bros.

Edward

Bartender
Bob Dong is owned by the same folks as Bronson, isn't it? Dong is one of the "old 100" Chinese names - it's basically like Smith or Jones in England. Knowing the Chinese, I wouldn't like to call whether this is a case of Chinglish that didn't quite translate as intended, or some rather more aware Chinese indulging in a bit of humour. Either is possible!

It would be interesting to compare this to the product coming out of Pike today (I think they manufacture in Turkey?). I see though that Aero have reinstated their B10 too, made in Scotland again. If they bring back the B15....

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bob Dong is owned by the same folks as Bronson, isn't it? Dong is one of the "old 100" Chinese names - it's basically like Smith or Jones in England. Knowing the Chinese, I wouldn't like to call whether this is a case of Chinglish that didn't quite translate as intended, or some rather more aware Chinese indulging in a bit of humour. Either is possible!

It would be interesting to compare this to the product coming out of Pike today (I think they manufacture in Turkey?). I see though that Aero have reinstated their B10 too, made in Scotland again. If they bring back the B15....
No. Two separate entities.

Edward

Bartender
No. Two separate entities.

Ah! I must have confused a retailer's site for a manufacturer selling one.

Would love to find somewhere in Beijing I could see this stuff in a shop; I like the looks of the nylons but am wary of buying on ebay with sizing issues.

Brettafett

One Too Many
I was glad to finally receive my Dong, pity it was too big. Who would have thought any man would ever have to say that!
Theres a Roughrider Roughwear 23380 A-2 repro out of China also… I am sure it will hit the spot… if one can get a hold of one.

Back to the B-10. I paid around £170 for my Jacket, incl shipped from China. Took 9 days. Paid no import duties! Crazy! Cannot wait for the new batch, slated for later this month or next.
I bought from Lee at www.ebay.com/str/vtgdr - dlzlitchi2, shop VTGDR.
Felt it would be easier than ordering directly from China, plus Lee speaks and communicates in perfect English, so answered all my questions. Easy returns etc.

Bob Dong is a 'competitor' to Bronson, the jackets are different…. Thomas, on the other forum has both, and posted detailed pics and comparisons. Both are nice jackets, great value for money… but BD definitely a notch above the Bronson jacket. Esp the mouton, body material and the knit, Bronson’s knit has a seam also and the pattern is a bit of a shorter cut all round.

BD quality is very good. Really. Only thing is the zipper, the brass Talon repro feels light, but works well enough. Knits may not be 100% cotton either… but they have no seam, and feel strong. They may very well be. The lining is not 100% Alpaca either, I don’t think... but it is soft, comfortable and certainly warm. And does not itch or scratch!

I have had Pike Bros jackets, not bad. I have seen their ‘old’ B-10. This B-10 is better in my opinion. The collar is really nice, luxurious. Pattern and body material is better, correct colour, better knit. I may be wrong, but I think its a copy of a Buzz Rickson B-10. I have owned a Buzz B-10 and this feels and looks almost identical… Currently have an ELC B-10 (bought 2005), which is top of the barrel imo.

This BD compares very well, even to the ELC. Stitching, construction, buttons, snaps, pattern, everything is neat and its a strong jacket, well-made…. maybe lacks the sophistication of an ELC original-maker, but heck, its not far behind. And for the price! Almost a crime not to try one.

When the 40 becomes available, I will not hesitate.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Funny you say that. When I asked Lee to check when the next batch would be available, I also told him they should make larger sizes for the 'open' market. He is in direct contact with BD. You guys should email him/ them. The more blokes who do, the more likely they will be to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko