Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bogarts Watch

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Akubra Man said:
Longines is using Bogie in their advertising and even ran a contest to find the man most like him approximately 4 years ago. It was won by a retired New York City Police Detective.

How appropriate! A tough guy, to fit the tough criteria.....

"He is the hero, he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor, by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world." ~ With a tip of the fedora, to Mr Chandler.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
This is a very nice looking watch on the wrist of Bogie, but can anyone name what it is..? please ;) (obviously some type of chronometer).

Looking at the face of that watch, it appears to be a chronograph with three dials on the face. Now, the picture isn't exactly clear, but the 12 o'clock marker looks like either a Bulova or an Elgin, but I'm leaning more towards the Bulova. My best guess for the time being anyway.

Cheers!

Dan

Giant.leap

New in Town
Bogart's wristwatch in the film Casablanca does not seem to be a tonneau shaped Longines at all. It looks like a Hamilton Wilshire based on the way the lugs are over the strap-much like how you can wear a Wilshire.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
OK, I KNOW I am going to get torpedoed for this, but that just doesn't strike me as a very masculine watch. In fact, it looks like the watch my Mother used to wear. Somehow it just doesn't fit with the "Man's man" image of Bogie....[huh]
<NOMEX undies are ON!>

Well, I have always thought all bracelet watches to be more than a bit effeminate. A man should carry a substantial, full plate watch, at least a size 16, preferably a size 18, though with evening clothes a Lépine calibre watch may not necessarily indicate complete emasculation. Unfortunately, no one born after, say, 1877 seems to agree with me, and so I have been out-voted.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
A lady calls 911 to report a naked pilot running around her apartment complex! The operator replies, you have a naked man running around your apartment complex? She replies yes. Then the operator replies, what makes you think he's a pilot? The lady says, he's wearing a really big watch!

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
In one book I have about French soldiers in 1940, there is a particularly interesting end-paper which shows a group of French soldiers doing some entrenching, all equipped with shovels, picks and the like. One of the men has a very distinct watch with a rectangular shape that almost defines the period. But most of them are also wearing neckties (cravates) with shirts that have button-down collars. Interesting military styles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto