Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bogie borsalino

metropd

One Too Many
First off my apoligies to Duane, I had measured the brim and I was wrong and he was correct the brim is right between 2 1/2 to 2 5/8. I am sorry I said it was 2 3/8 it was my mistake. This is a 1930' bogie borsalino with a 4 1/8 crown and a brim just over 2 1/2 inches. It is in magnificent condition and I would like to thank duane and the fedorastore again.
[
nickborsalino1.jpg

insideofborsalino.jpg

Matthew

New in Town
Just my take:

Now,

I know everyone is ultra-supportive, positive, and generally really encouraging. That is great. But most of the time, people here seem not to make any kind of helpful criticism or contrary suggestions (A while ago, I was personally warned not to dissent or risk being banned). It is a very "say something nice or say nothing at all" atmosphere.

But, metropd, for the sake of hats and yourself,

That hat looks horrible on you.

Maybe it is just the picture or the crookedness of of the hat on your head; but the hat definitely doesn't look good - it looks like you are just playing dress-up with grampa's old hat, rather than using the hat as a respectible part of your wardrobe (which is what you want).

My helpful suggestion(s) to remedy the situation:

First, the hat looks like it was smashed while in storage. The bash is almost comical - it's as if someone made the hat look like a cartoon caracature. If it is from the 30's, I'd bet the felt is well into it's shape - so some time and steam would be necessary to fix it. Maybe it is "just the picture," but the brim looks a little too wide for your face; I suggest something under 2 3/8. The height of the crown is your personal preference, but since I have a long face, like you, I tend towards crowns at or under 4".

To each his own.

- Matt

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I think a re-bashing is in order. The creases are so deep, it's affecting how the lid sits on your head. The brim looks alright, although even for an Indiana Jones hat, I rarely go wider than 2 1/2" on the sides.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
I have to agrees that if the bashes in the front are too deep, it will keep the hat sitting to high on your head. I disagree with previous statements about the hat looking horrible on you. I think your creative bashing is very nice and for sure bogie style. If you just keep the bashes a little more shallow, the hat will sit lower on your head and look perfect. I suggest wearing the low side of a tilted hat just above your ear, and the other side will of course be higher. The rest of the proportions are very suitable for you and it will look very nice. Your fond appreciation for vintage fedoras and classy style are noted. It's young men like you that will help bring the Fedora back into fashion.

For Matt: The above is what I consider constructive criticism instead of insult. This is, afterall, a gentleman's forum. Also, The hat was shipped open crowned.

Duane

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Bogie's bashes, atleast his most well-known hats from Casablanca, Big Sleep, and Maltese Falcon, had fairly shallow,barely-there bashes. It was basically like a pinch and the transition back to the rest of hat was the extent of the front-creases.

Damon Falzone

One of the Regulars
Metropd...

I'm so impressed that someone your age would want to wear a fedora, but not just any fedora, a vintage Borsalino Trionfo. WOW. But, the first thing I thought of upon seeing it and as was stated by Matthew, was that it does look like a caricature of a hat. But, by God, I will stand behind your right to bash with abandon. Aren't hats fun?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Damon Falzone said:
I'm so impressed that someone your age would want to wear a fedora, but not just any fedora, a vintage Borsalino Trionfo. WOW. But, the first thing I thought of upon seeing it and as was stated by Matthew, was that it does look like a caricature of a hat. But, by God, I will stand behind your right to bash with abandon. Aren't hats fun?

Quite impressive. I started when I was 13. Anyone remember me from back then? When I wore a 6 7/8?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I started about that age too. Go young loungers!

:eek:fftopic: I started with a crummy wool felt thing. I still have that hat. It's shrunk up to the size of a thimble. The felt squeaks when you handle it.
Sure- I've got 20something nice hats now, but I feel kind of attached to that hat. I think the crown is down to something like three inches unbashed now, so it's unwearable, but I feel I can't throw out my first hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran