Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bohème Sauvage Parties in Germany, Austria and Switzerland

hilja

New in Town
Hello everyone!

This is a question for the German-speaking folks. Has one of you ever been to the Bohème Sauvage in your city? What is it like? Is it any good?

Ich habe mir die offizielle Seite angeschaut und es sieht ja wirklich richtig toll aus. Auf der anderen Seite, habe ich aber von Bekannten gehört, dass die meisten sich um die Kleidungsordnung wenig kümmern, sondern einfach in moderner Abendkleidung erscheinen. Ich habe damit im Grunde auch kein Problem, aber wenn die Veranstaltung damit wirbt einen Abend der 1920er Jahre dazustellen, finde ich es etwas schade, wenn manche Personen sich nicht ein wenig darauf einstellen. Wie ist die Musik, wird viel getanzt und wenn ja, was? Gibt es ein richtiges Programm oder läuft ein kleines Bühnenprogramm nebenbei ab? Kann man dort einen Abend zu zweit gut verbringen oder bringt man lieber ein paar mehr Freunde mit? Ich interessiere mich am meisten für die Veranstaltungen in Hamburg, Köln und Wien. War schon einmal jemand dort?

Beste Grüße

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello Hilja,
I will answer this in english because the other members might find this interesting too (und weil ich es kann ^^). The boheme sauvage parties are a mixed bag but I personally like them every once in a while. They are a good chance to dress up and have a fun night. I wouldn't expect much more. Let's face it: There are no PERFECT swing parties with 100% vintage wearing guests in germany. Depending on the city you can expect between 10% and maaaybe 20 % people in vintage clothes. There will be some Lindy Hop dancers who just want to dance. And some people who see this as a fancy dress thing and are just posing like imaginary celebrities all night long. But I think they kinda make an effort to dress up even if they don't get it right. You can't just walk into a store and get a perfect 1920s tuxedo in your size, can you? Naturally they won't spend so much money and I find it more forgivable than what Baz Luhmanns did with Gatsby. ;)
They won't let you in in jeans and sneakers but other than that the dress code is more liberal than it appears on the homepage.

The BH parties often take place in locations with a vintage feel but they can be very different depending on that. Usually they have a big hall for dancing and a stage for the bands and the other acts. Then they have some smaller rooms nearby with gambling tables for Blackjack and some more. You play with fake Reichsmark that you can change for a glass of absinth later. Depending on the location it can be like a small and crowded cave or a big and glamourous theatre. I think both versions have their charm but I heard complaints when it was to crowded.

Most bands are rather small combos and not "real" big bands. I guess because of the limeted space and budget. In between the sets there are burlesque dancers or some other cabaret stuff. Later in the night (or rather earlier in the morning) the DJ will take over and play everything from authenthic jazz to 90s neo-swing or electro swing (typically towards the end of the party) So there is another thing that might be good or bad depending on your taste. ;)

Just try it. Bring some friends and make the best of it. [huh]

Grüsse, Florian

Last edited:

hilja

New in Town
Hello Florian,

Thank you for your detailed answers. That's basically all I needed to know. Now it's time to nicely talk some friends into joining in on the evening and to get on with the sewing. Reading your post, it doesn't seem so wrong now to give a little effort in dressing up. :)

Cheers!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are welcome. Do you dance Lindy Hop? I am not really good at it myself and thus rather shy at events with many good dancers. :eek:
But at the BH it is perfectly fine to improvise or do some simple charleston steps. Some do foxtrot or waltz too. You don't really need to worry about that.

Same with the clothes. Just take the chance to dress up and maybe even go a little "over the top" compared to your daywear.
Since you are here on the FL and you mentioned sewing I am sure you will one of the better dressed guests.

hilja

New in Town
No Lindy Hop for me sadly. All I am familiar with is a bit of foxtrot and tango argentino. And I can probably pull off some weird looking black bottom and charleston if I'm in the mood.

I'll try my best at sewing. Actually the 1950s and 1960s got me interested in dressing vintage. I just recently discovered the 1920s for myself even going farer backwards in time. So I'm still in the beginning of studying the music, fashion and so on. Such a shame that it's apparently quite hard to get a grip on good sewing patterns or magazines of the 1920s. I can sew a simple dropwaisted dress without sleeves in no time but I'd love it to be more special and flattering. I guess I have to learn to bead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters