Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino from Paul's Hat Works?

bluelight

New in Town
I just joined TFL and acquired my first Borsalino for $75 at an estate sale. Since I'm a relative newbie to fedoras, I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.

1) What is that elastic string with the small button resting under the bow that goes around the hatband?

2) Curiously, the only markings on the inner leather sweatband say "Borsalino, Made in Italy, Antica Casa, Fondata Nel, 1857." That's it. Even curiouser, the inner lining says "qualita superiore, Borsalino, 1857, Alessandria, Made in Italy," and then "Paul's Hat Works, San Francisco." It threw me that the name of the vendor was on the lining and not the sweatband. Anyone know what I have?

3) And, forgive me, but I'm curious why I have to know who the fourth president of Ireland is? Is it to make sure I'm human and not a robot, or to see if I know how to Google, or just to make sure I'm not a moron? Just curious.

Thank you in advance for welcoming me into your community.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
#1 is called a wind cord. You unwrap it and put the button part in your lapel so that your had doesn't blow away when it's windy.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Stores often had their name or logo put on the sweatband. Paul's Hat Works still exists here in San Francisco, although they're under new ownership and do bespoke hats now. They might be able to tell you something though. It sounds like you have an Alessandria...pictures would help.

http://www.hatworksbypaul.com/

I just joined TFL and acquired my first Borsalino for $75 at an estate sale. Since I'm a relative newbie to fedoras, I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.

2) Curiously, the only markings on the inner leather sweatband say "Borsalino, Made in Italy, Antica Casa, Fondata Nel, 1857." That's it. Even curiouser, the inner lining says "qualita superiore, Borsalino, 1857, Alessandria, Made in Italy," and then "Paul's Hat Works, San Francisco." It threw me that the name of the vendor was on the lining and not the sweatband. Anyone know what I have?

Welcome, and congratulations on your new hat. It was not unusual for a retailer or importer to have their signature imprinted on the liner of a Borsalino. It will be very hard for us to tell you more about the hat without pictures. If you haven't already, be sure to visit this thread... a collection of all things Borsalino.

cheers,
Alan

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Bluelight. I believe the question is asked to make sure you are human and not a "bot" collecting names. Since we are the largest hat & vintage clothing forum it's common to try to pick emails from here.

If you have a digital camera you might want to take some pictures of the hat the liner and sweat band. Then there are ways to using a site like photobucket to post those here. Sometimes seeing the item will help others come up with information that can help date the hat etc. You also might take a careful peek behind the sweatband sometimes there are tags with more information about the hat.

bluelight

New in Town
Thanks, casechopper. And would the proper gentleman insert the button from the back of the lapel to protrude out, or from the front to hide it?

bluelight

New in Town
Thanks, John in Covina. And would you know if the proper way to attach it to the lapel is from the back to expose it in the front (which I think would look more dapper) or from the front to hide it?

bluelight

New in Town
Thanks, John. I'm not an imbecile; but, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to post pics here. I tried to follow directions on the FAQs, but got nowhere. How do I create an album? The instructions directed me to control panel where I could not find a link to create album. Sorry for being PIA, but I'm just not getting it. Would love to interact with you all.

Thanks, John in Covina. And would you know if the proper way to attach it to the lapel is from the back to expose it in the front (which I think would look more dapper) or from the front to hide it?

To be honest I don't know at all, I have one but don;t use it. I would think that the question should be:
which way is more secure
which way it the quickest to do
which way do you prefer?

I don't recall seeing any photos or reports posted showing the way to use them.

bluelight

New in Town
Dear Ed,

Sorry for not checking this out sooner, but the IRS deadline has been preoccupying my activities. Unfortunately, the link is apparently not good anymore. Please advise.

Thanks, Harvey

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, John. I'm not an imbecile; but, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to post pics here. I tried to follow directions on the FAQs, but got nowhere. How do I create an album? The instructions directed me to control panel where I could not find a link to create album. Sorry for being PIA, but I'm just not getting it. Would love to interact with you all.

I can't post pictures either. However, I may be an imbecile.

It's been a while for me posting any pix, but I can tell you that it seems like the age of the program you are running and what updates you have may make the layout of some screens appear different than what I am looking at. I went to visit Frankie Lamb to walk him thru the process on his PC and the layout for photobucket was different than how it appears on my PC! SO I am thinking I'd have to be sitting at you pc to have half a chance of figuring it out! This is why I hate computer programmers so much.

bluelight

New in Town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari