Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino from Paul's Hat Works?

bluelight

New in Town
Hopefully I've done this right. These are the pics of the Borsalino I picked up for $75 at an estate sale. Any info anyone can shed a light on about this hat?

bluelight

New in Town
I don't appear to be doing this right. However, the pics do show on my flickr account under bluelight1000.

bluelight

New in Town
Pics of borsalino from paul's hatworks

Thanks, Wiser Hatter. Does anyone have any input into my $75 Borsalino that was apparently imported by paul's hatworks in sf, ca?

Carefully look under the leather sweat band sometimes there are printed paper tags and supposedly a code that may point to a manufacture date.

I think that some of the hat shops had the ability to do the embossing on the sweat band to customize the hat as to the sales location, they may not have depended on the factory.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, Wiser Hatter. Does anyone have any input into my $75 Borsalino that was apparently imported by paul's hatworks in sf, ca?

The hat just shown, to me, doesn't look that old, appears like something from the past six to ten years, just eyeballing the style and liner. There is no scientific basis for my estimate, just a guess based on the Borsalinos I own, vintage and modern.

bluelight

New in Town
Thank you, danofarlington. As I said before, I'm not an expert on Borsalinos by any means. Yes, the hat does not appear to be that old. I'm thinking that $75 was a good price for a non-vintage Bors, but have no way of knowing. I know they normally go for way more, so even a relatively new one would be a bargain at $75. Nes pa?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm thinking that $75 was a good price for a non-vintage Bors, but have no way of knowing. I know they normally go for way more, so even a relatively new one would be a bargain at $75. Nes pa?
Well, if it fits your head, the shape works for your face and you like the color then it's a good deal. If you're in it to flip it then you might be able to make a few bucks on the deal; or not.

bluelight

New in Town
No, I love the hat. I was just wondering if, for a lightly-used Borsalino, I paid too much, got a great deal, or if $75 was a fair price. I know new they're a lot more, but am unfamiliar w/ used prices. Just curious; it's definitely a keeper.

This is a modern Borsalino from the new factory. If you want the exact production year take a photo of the paper label behind the sweatband (at the rear of the hat) and post it on this thread. What size is the hat? If it is a larger size (7 1/4 or larger) I would say you got a fair price.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you, danofarlington. As I said before, I'm not an expert on Borsalinos by any means. Yes, the hat does not appear to be that old. I'm thinking that $75 was a good price for a non-vintage Bors, but have no way of knowing. I know they normally go for way more, so even a relatively new one would be a bargain at $75. Nes pa?

I think $75 is a great price. New, you're talking hundreds. If someone wants a lower price for a nice hat, they're going to have to risk getting outbid in the auction, or not having their price accepted at a used goods store. A hat like that, I would have considered up to $130 for before my personal cutoff kicked in.

bluelight

New in Town
Thanks, mayserwegener. I'm not good at posting pics, but it's 7 1/8. The paper label reads "Cod. 114458 Col. 2621 98A000143 58." (Sorry, John in Covina; didn't look hard enough.) Would this indicate it's from 1998?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass