Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BORSALINO LUCK?

Magus

Practically Family
Well its either junk...or...I caught this one and everyone else missed it...I will let ya know when I get it. But for the price of cocktails and a plate of appitizers, I figured I couldn't go HUGELY wrong. ;) I am definitly thinking a new ribbon. Not opposed to the leather braid as I have a couple that it works well on, but I think it might raise in "class" with a jazz ribboned grosgrain.

Until then feel free to chime in with your thoughts. I value them and take them in good faith.

M

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280001914905&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Love it! Great catch. The longhaired Borsalinos are lovely, IMHO. I would definitely go for the classier ribbon -- you'll end up with a stunning hat. (Leather plus longhair, to my mind, is a weird combination, vaguely Tyrolean.)

I'm curious about the "Supreme" designation -- never encountered that before -- this might be way high up in the Borsalino food chain.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
besdor said:
Are you sure its a Bors ? Make sure its printed in the leather . The size tag looks as if its been replaced .

Steven

Steven makes a good point. I would expect to see the Eulan Bayer size tag in it. Also, the bow on the tassle does not appear to be Borsalino, as they normally have the looped clover-leaf type. I have this hat in a Borsalino known as the "25", and it also already had a grosgrain band, but I am sure they have many styles.

69_1.JPG

:eek:fftopic: Yeah! I got a purple star from eBay [huh]

Visigoth

A-List Customer
FWIW, I have a 1938 Borso with precisely the same ribbon as this one. The liner sure looks authentic. Big question will be, yes, what's stamped into the leather -- and what's *behind* the leather. If you find the standard paper Borsalino size/style/color tag, you know you've got the real thing.

Magus

Practically Family
Hmmmm...I don't know Bora's well enough to say conclusivly if it is authentic....but we will see. I will post my findings once it get here. Thanks for the comments and keep them coming all.

M

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Magus,

You look good in stingy brims, my friend. I think that hat will definitiely work for you. And I wouldn't worry about it being a fake. I can't imagine anyone forging vintage hat liners. ;)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The hat liner could have been replaced, but
it seems unlikely. I have certainly seen Borsalinos
that look similar on eBay before.

I am guessing the hat band is not leather. It
appears to be made of the same felt as the hat,
similar to the picture of your beater that you posted.
Look at it, or better yet wear it, before you
decide to replace it.

Given the hat band and stingy brim, I'm guessing
60s or 70s. Still a fine vintage for Borsalinos. My stingy
Europa Borsalino gets a fair amount of wear...

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Similar

I have one that looks like that its a deep green with Velour Thirty Five in gold on the sweat. Replaceing the felt braided band with ribbon has been on my list.
It is a nice finish very plush yet bullet proof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24