Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Marque Grand Luxe

Here's my most recent fedora purchase (i know, i know, i said i was out of the fedora market, but when a stunning hat comes along for a tiny amount of cash investment, what's a guy supposed to do?).

Seems to be a 30s Borsalino. The Velour/Plush finish is amazing. Very thick felt and a lovely feel to the felt. Was "Grand Luxe" the top quality felt that Borsalino made?

GranLuxe1.jpg
GranLuxe2.jpg

The liner is cool.

GranLuxe3.jpg
GranLuxe4.jpg

This one was sold in Rome initially.

GranLuxe5.jpg

Apparently 6X quality, whatever that means.

GranLuxe6.jpg

I assume these are someone's initials. And the standard shot of the tags under the sweatband. "Bario" means barium, apparently. I can't work out what Drudosti means ...

GranLuxe7.jpg
GranLuxe8.jpg

bk

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've seen one velour Borsalino in person, a fawn fedora with
a wide brim belonging to an aquaintance. It is some amazing
stuff. I'll be curious to hear what clothing you think goes with a
velour hat.

That velour looks incredibly dense. Nice find.

Uh, why do you suppose it says "barium"?
I hope there isn't much in it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
my old borsalino says bismuto which translates to bismuth.
I wonder if it was a color designation or if it was a content thing.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Bismuto is a color shade of gray in Italian Dinnerman. As for the velour finish Bors , they are great hats . I have two with a 2 1/4" brim but they are too small for my 7 1/2 head . They haven't been made for many years .

Steven
Bencraft Hats

ideaguy

One Too Many
I've got one- in a beautiful dark plum color; not lined, no ribbon; also too small for my bean, so my ever-resourcefull wife scooped it up, flipped the brim up on one side, down on the other, and now she gets looks wherever she goes. That doesn't bother me too much. Especially when I'm wearing one of my top Borsas.
It's when they say to her-"Great Hat!!" GRRRRR ah, share the loot, I guess.

dues-ducking member of the curmudgeon club M

art92101

One of the Regulars
Curmudgeon Club

Hey I bought a nice velour borsa and yup it was too small and my wife wears it and get lots of compliments! Kind of keeps peace in the family.
On another wifely note. We watched the Sting last night. i didn't say anything till she did, about how great the hats of day looked on the actors. The I jumped onboard in the affirmative!

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Damn, that is a beautiful hat. What a great color. The liner is too cool and I love the embossed initials. You certainly have a great eye for style BK.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
You guys gave me a good idea. I'll give my hat to the old lady . I'm sure my wifes head is smaller than mine!

Steven
Bencraft Hats:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats