Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino on E(vil)bay

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Among all the straw men that have been put up there is a pretty simple idea. It isn't censorship and doesn't require any rules that may or may not infringe upon one's civil liberties.

Did someone mention straw? It has been a long winter already!:eek:fftopic: :eusa_clap :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Solid Citizen said:
The hat thread at this web site always seems to have the most viewers day after day.

!. If people want to talk hats & Ebay let them!
2. If they want to talk hat prices let them!
3. If people want to talk hats pros & cons let them!

I come to this web site to get away from 2006 & have found the hat threads here a pleasant diversion :eusa_clap

SC ;)

I just watched a rather long program on the local public TV station about the big move by the phone and cable companies (media giants) to control the internet and what people are saying. It's very scary, especially when you look at what happened to local radio because of 'deregulation'. We cannot...... oops, getting political.. I will change message boards, sorry. :eek:fftopic:

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is not so difficult gentlemen. Those who wish to post the price of their new aquisition from on-line sources because it is informative continue to do so. Those who wish not to post the invoices because it becomes gratuitious and leans towards advertisment do not.
I myself am guilty of showing most or all of the invoices. I use them as something to look foward to. Many threads have 1 or 2 pages of posts for a perticular hat well before it is in hand. I have used it to spark interest in a certain anticipated hat. There is no way that I know to separate the price from the item when posting a link.
I do agree that showing the price for every hat that I buy is unnecessary and I will cease.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am guilty of posting a hat purchase including the price, right in the title of the new thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12878
I did it because I was excited about the affordability of the hat, given its claim to be fur felt. I like the way it looked, too. As a recovering paypal purchase account abuser, i.e. too many purchases adding up to spending that required self-imposed restrictions on purchasing, I liked the idea of getting a classic look within the parameters I've set for myself. There's the reality of having actual vintage hats, and having a vintage look, and I know the most desirable is an actual vintage hat, which I have one. But I have no qualms about purchasing a hat if it has the look I want and some degree of quality, fur felt, for example, though wool felt would be fine if I liked what I saw. Also, I like to wear my hats and a collection of everyday beaters I think compliments a collection of vintage hats. I look at ebay everyday, and I see the bidding. It's free enterprise, the market at work, and right now I can't play the game. So be it. There will be a time. Meanwhile, I have two goals regarding my hats: 1) Like what I own and wear it every chance I get, and 2) Try to be a trendsetter. I love people at church who see my hats and say things like, "I ought to get one like that." I think they should. But example is the best way to influence.

dean

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
deanglen said:
I look at ebay everyday, and I see the bidding. It's free enterprise, the market at work, and right now I can't play the game. So be it. There will be a time. Meanwhile, I have two goals regarding my hats: 1) Like what I own and wear it every chance I get, and 2) Try to be a trendsetter. I love people at church who see my hats and say things like, "I ought to get one like that." I think they should. But example is the best way to influence.

dean

Dean all I can say to that is

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Sometimes it's pertinent...

I personally find the price members pay for their hats to be interesting, and a good reflection of what the market is doing. I enjoy seeing a nifty lid that someone found at a real deal. And even if it's at the upper end of the price spectrum, that's useful to know, as well.

In fact, when I see a picture of a hat with no info on the acquisition, I wonder, "what did he pay for it?"

Many of us have hats that, sooner or later, we'll pass along or sell. And I like knowing what hats are currently worth. I've a coupla dozen, at least, that I don't wear and rather than let them gather dust, I'll sell so someone can have the pleasure of a good topper.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
And I like knowing what hats are currently worth.

So, what's stopping you from looking on eBay for what things have sold for?

The idea of using the Lounge as a hat "blue book" is simply impractical. Any search on eBay for a "Stetson Whippet" will turn up a sale. A similar search on the Lounge will require you to sift through hundreds of irrelevant posts, from the point of view of prices.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Joel Tunnah said:
I don't have time to read this nonsense anymore - it's cutting into my eBay search time!

keyword(s)= "pimp hat"

:eek:

..... and yet you continue to make time for said "nonsense". Is it such a bad thing for others not to share your view? We all understand your opinion, can't we just move on now? Is this a life or world changing problem? JMHO

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Bud doesn't like that I continue to post in this thread and disagree with others, so he posts again in this thread that he disagrees with me... [huh]

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Joel Tunnah said:
So, what's stopping you from looking on eBay for what things have sold for?

The idea of using the Lounge as a hat "blue book" is simply impractical. Any search on eBay for a "Stetson Whippet" will turn up a sale. A similar search on the Lounge will require you to sift through hundreds of irrelevant posts, from the point of view of prices.

Actually, items do NOT come up in search once they are sold. Although the auction link will remain valid for several months you will only have access to it if you were previously watching it or you tracked it back through another members feedback,

Also who’s to know just who these people are? Here in the lounge we get a good idea of what our competition may be like if another hat collector gets in the mix.

Viviene

Vendor
Gentlemen, gentlemen. You are forgetting the power of the Google search for items not to be found on Ebay but at other vintage establishments that specialize in all things vintage. While I must admit that my own forte is womens vintage (which I did sell on Ebay but no longer do as I have changed my venue) I will remind you that there are quite a few stores on the internet outside of Ebay that offer wonderful items at set reasonable prices (because they don't have to pay fees to Ebay).

Please also realize that the sellers on Ebay are now paying higher fees for listings, stores and above all, getting much less for their money when it comes to service. Ebay has all but told the serious sellers of vintage that we are not welcome and that they want to have brand new items for sale, hence Ebay Express and the store items no longer included in the search engine on Ebay.

So please don't forget to look elsewhere for your treasures because I have it on good authority that the elusive hats you are looking for are closer than you think. :)

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Viviene said:
Gentlemen, gentlemen. You are forgetting the power of the Google search for items not to be found on Ebay but at other vintage establishments that specialize in all things vintage. While I must admit that my own forte is womens vintage (which I did sell on Ebay but no longer do as I have changed my venue) I will remind you that there are quite a few stores on the internet outside of Ebay that offer wonderful items at set reasonable prices (because they don't have to pay fees to Ebay).

Please also realize that the sellers on Ebay are now paying higher fees for listings, stores and above all, getting much less for their money when it comes to service. Ebay has all but told the serious sellers of vintage that we are not welcome and that they want to have brand new items for sale, hence Ebay Express and the store items no longer included in the search engine on Ebay.

So please don't forget to look elsewhere for your treasures because I have it on good authority that the elusive hats you are looking for are closer than you think. :)

Remarkably excellent points. It got cost-prohibitive to run a business on ebay and make a decent living, Prices for vendors go up, including their 'cut', and services and search tools to bring customers to the listings are dwindling. eBay owns shopping.com, and I suspect they wish to move in that direction with eBay as well. I have found their shopping.com comparison search engine to have a better ROI, even though there is much less traffic.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Joel, I appreciate your point...

But it presupposes, as it pertains to the hat market, that all hats are bought on ebay. Many are indeed acquired from shops or acquaintances. The last hat I showed with a price came from a vintage clothing store at less than it would have fetched on an auction site.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Hello,

I want to buy a Borsalino Alessandria, anyone knows if this are only made of Fur Felt or any of those were made of wool?

Any advice will be appreciated !!

Thanks in advance for your help !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails