Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino on E(vil)bay

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thefedorastore said:
I would hate for people to stop showing off their hats

The FL could become the Kelly Blue Book of vintage hats

I have certainly always been an advocate of posting hat pictures here.
However, I'd hate to see the Lounge become the Kelly Blue Book of
vintage hats. Yech.

I hope what we are doing here is appreciating and learning about hats.
I know that to some extent we have met the enemy and he is us, but
I hope our main function here is not to drive up the price of hats and
make them collectibles. I want to be able to figure out when my hat
was made, not what it will sell for. And I believe I am on the record
as being totally uninterested in what anyone paid for their hat.

I like the fact that eBay is making so many hats available. I'd rather
pay less for them and I'd rather not have to deal with the weaknesses
in eBay's system. But I think they deserve credit for getting these hats
into hands that appreciate them. And quite possibly saving them from
the dustbin.

That said, I will now go back to staring at my avatar as a reminder.

Feraud

Bartender
I have to disagree. Following your guidelines it would be inappropriate to say, post picture of a classic car before you have restored it. Or Perhaps, we shouldn’t share pictures of our children until they are legal adults? If I win the lottery I’m not going to wait till I have the money in my bank account to tell my family.

Members are missing the point completely. I have mentioned this "pet peeve" of mine before but am compelled to do so again....

With regards to Ebay auctions. Can we all stop posting our winning Ebay auction receipts? It seems like a faux pas we should recognize. Do we show our co-workers or friends paystubs, car payments, or home furnishing receipts? Not only does anyone (friends or not) not need to know how much you pay for something(exceptional stories are fine) but this promotes a lot of free advertising and business for an organization that does not support the Fedora Lounge. Why should I advertise for them?

Do not misunderstand the point of this post. I want to see your hat! It may look like another brown hat to others but I want to see pictures of it! I never get tired of the photos, descriptions, and thrill of receiving a new hat.
Get it home, see how you like it, and take a ton of photos of the hat. I want to see your pictures and description of the hat, not the person who sold it to you.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Feraud, as usual, makes the essential point. We want to see the hats. But I am sick to death of "Minty Open Road for $1.99!!!!" threads from size 7 1/8 people, who don't even have the hat in hand yet!
What are you looking for, congratulations on your ability to spend money?

Maybe we can follow these simple guidelines:
1) When the actual hat is in your hands, feel free to post about it.
2) Please don't post the price, unless it's relevant to the thread subject.

If somebody feels compelled to ask about money, then why can't they PM the poster?

We can't control eBay, but we can keep this forum from turning into the Hat Shopping Network.

Joel

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Feraud said:
Do we show our co-workers or friends' ... car payments or home furnishing receipts?

Sure we do, if they got something good for a low price. As in, "Check it out: my friend just found a vintage '60s Mustang for $2,000!" That sort of thing.

As you rightly said, "exceptional stories are fine". But what is exceptional, and what doesn't make the cut?

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Members are missing the point completely. I have mentioned this "pet peeve" of mine before but am compelled to do so again....

With regards to Ebay auctions. Can we all stop posting our winning Ebay auction receipts? It seems like a faux pas we should recognize. Do we show our co-workers or friends paystubs, car payments, or home furnishing receipts? Not only does anyone (friends or not) not need to know how much you pay for something(exceptional stories are fine) but this promotes a lot of free advertising and business for an organization that does not support the Fedora Lounge. Why should I advertise for them?

Do not misunderstand the point of this post. I want to see your hat! It may look like another brown hat to others but I want to see pictures of it! I never get tired of the photos, descriptions, and thrill of receiving a new hat.
Get it home, see how you like it, and take a ton of photos of the hat. I want to see your pictures and description of the hat, not the person who sold it to you.

Oh, I assure you I get your point. Not only do I recognize these symbols on my screen but I can recognize when they are arranged into words and sentences. I may not be the best speller but I’m no slouch when it comes to reading comprehension. So I get your point, but what I am saying is I disagree with you.

Although you may not want to participate in such threads, I do. Making new rules is not the answer to everything. It’s that kind of attitude that looses us civil liberties every day. I would like to see this remain the Fedora "lounge" and not become the Fedora "tyranny.” If you see a thread that contains a subject you don’t like, simply ignore it. There are at least a dozen forums here with plenty of active topics I’m sure you will enjoy.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Beating a dead horse

This is an open forum right? We all can choose what to read and look at or not. One of the best things about this forum is the positive upbeat atmosphere. There are plenty of forums on the net where a person can complain and whine about almost any topic. Point noted, now can't we just move on to more enjoyable topics. JMHO

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Vermifuge said:
Oh, I assure you I get your point. Not only do I recognize these symbols on my screen but I can recognize when they are arranged into words and sentences. I may not be the best speller but I’m no slouch when it comes to reading comprehension. So I get your point, but what I am saying is I disagree with you.

Although you may not want to participate in such threads, I do. Making new rules is not the answer to everything. It’s that kind of attitude that looses us civil liberties every day. I would like to see this remain the Fedora "lounge" and not become the Fedora "tyranny.” If you see a thread that contains a subject you don’t like, simply ignore it. There are at least a dozen forums here with plenty of active topics I’m sure you will enjoy.

Do you really disagree the we should not be showing our ebay sales receipts?? Where are the members buying those Adventurebilts, Art Fawcett, Fedora Store, and Aaron Hat, crying out, "look what I just bought for $275.00!" It does not happen! Only when it comes to ebay does this happen. Let me say this again for those who missed it... I do not frown on showing off a hat, or a great buy. If we are unwilling to differentiate between a great buy, or interesting story then I am speaking to walls. I am not here to argue semantics.

Btw, Now I understand why Politics has been banned on the Lounge. We cannot share opinions and thoughts without someone crying over their "Civil Rights" being violated!
Vermifuge, you definitely misunderstand my comments if all you can take from them are assaults on your reading comprehension, civil liberties, and perceived tyrannical behavior in expressing what is just another opinion.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Tread carefully. Politics are not allowed on the forum and with good reason. :)

I’m not going to back down from a challenge. If needed it can be moderated.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Vermifuge, you definitely misunderstand my comments if all you can take from them are assaults on your reading comprehension, civil liberties, and perceived tyrannical behavior in expressing what is just another opinion.

I still disagree.

This IS a privet forum and ultimately the rules and policies fall on those that run the forum. I’m willing to respect any rule they make. After all we all have the option to contribute to this forum or any other forum on the internet.

I just think it’s silly to ban subjects just because a few members would rather not read them. If you don’t like them then just don't bother replying or contributing to that thread. Making a ”rule” just to prove yourself right is silly.

We can all enjoy this forum. Just have a little tolerance for what others enjoy.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Vermifuge said:

All the "facts" in that article comes from the plaintiff's lawsuit brief. There is no other side of the story presented, and no comment was sought from Cheney or anyone else in the Govt. That appears to be enough for you to proclaim that you've lost another "civil liberty" today... oh brother. :eusa_doh:

Also, trying to lay down some guidlelines for posting hardly qualifies as "tyranny"! There are already plenty of enforced rules in place here - none of which bothered you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner