Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino on E(vil)bay

Feraud

Bartender
Vermifuge said:
I’m not going to back down from a challenge. If needed it can be moderated.
There lies the problem! No one is challenging you.

Any comments that are made in these threads are not personal attacks on anyone or their liberties. They are merely more opinions and observations to add to the mix.
My comments about ebay should not be made into enforcible rules! They are given so members might consider their part in the rising prices we have observed on ebay. Of course, no one ever thinks they contribute to any problems. It is always "someone else".
I never spoke of banning anything. I ask members to consider something that occurred to me.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Joel Tunnah said:
Also, trying to lay down some guidlelines for posting hardly qualifies as "tyranny"! There are already plenty of enforced rules in place here - none of which bothered you.

I think it is made clear in the sticky

Andykev: "If YOU won the auction, or if it is closed, you can post the link or pictures to discuss the item, or show off your new hat."

FIN

P.S. If any one wishes to further discuss civil liberties they are welcome to PM me with requests for links or other information

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I'll lend my support to Feraud's view by voicing it in a slightly different way.

I think that, in nearly every case, the advertising of one's salary, bonuses, commissions, inheritances, lottery winnings, tax windfalls, and even eBay bargains (or gougings) is in BAD TASTE. Period. And frankly, that sort of bad taste has no place in the Fedora Lounge.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Bud-n-Texas said:
This is an open forum right? We all can choose what to read and look at or not. One of the best things about this forum is the positive upbeat atmosphere. There are plenty of forums on the net where a person can complain and whine about almost any topic. Point noted, now can't we just move on to more enjoyable topics. JMHO

I have to agree with this. If you decide to start censoring because someone doesn't like to read certain things, then where does it end? If there is something I don't care to read, then I don't read it. Some folks appreciate looking at fine hats, others may use the forum as a reference to relative prices to help gauge what they decide to spend or bid. The Lounge is a great reference for many motives, including determining what people are paying for certain vintage hats. With all that the Lounge offers different people, I don't believe it should be limited. We can put on our 'personal' filters instead of creating all kinds of guidlines and rules. However, those decisions are ultimately up to the operators of this great place. One person's bad taste is another's civility.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
thefedorastore said:
I have to agree with this. If you decide to start censoring because someone doesn't like to read certain things, then where does it end? If there is something I don't care to read, then I don't read it. Some folks appreciate looking at fine hats, others may use the forum as a reference to relative prices to help gauge what they decide to spend or bid. The Lounge is a great reference for many motives, including determining what people are paying for certain vintage hats. With all that the Lounge offers different people, I don't believe it should be limited. We can put on our 'personal' filters instead of creating all kinds of guidlines and rules. However, those decisions are ultimately up to the operators of this great place.

Cheers!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I also agree. And I'll use the perogative of free speech in my own way, by telling folks that I consider much of their dollar talk to be in bad taste. I'm confident that most people in the Lounge don't want to act in bad taste, and that they'll henceforth exercise more self-control in this respect.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
thefedorastore said:
I have to agree with this. If you decide to start censoring because someone doesn't like to read certain things, then where does it end? If there is something I don't care to read, then I don't read it. Some folks appreciate looking at fine hats, others may use the forum as a reference to relative prices to help gauge what they decide to spend or bid. The Lounge is a great reference for many motives, including determining what people are paying for certain vintage hats. With all that the Lounge offers different people, I don't believe it should be limited. We can put on our 'personal' filters instead of creating all kinds of guidlines and rules. However, those decisions are ultimately up to the operators of this great place. One person's bad taste is another's civility.

Now I must agree with you. I believe that the forum is used by different people for different things. The common denominator is knowledge, whether it be make, style, construction, material and yes cost. Who among us would not appreciate a tip on a good deal or guidance in value? I submit we all would and do. How many would be upset, if someone posted that GM stock was down to 30 cents a share? Not many, I bet most would be calling their broker with a buy. Would that be bad taste? There are some among us that will pay much more for a hat than others, so be it. For the frugal bidders, myself included, I like to have an idea of what an item will go for, so that I do not waste my time. Further, it is nice to see a bargain found at a thrift store, estate sale or the like. It gives hope that one day we may find another such deal for ourselves. I say live and let live

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Somebody starting a thread that consists of a link to eBay, the final price, and "I can't believe no one else bid on this!" is neither informative, nor in good taste, as Marc has noted.

Having said that, no one is suggesting censoring such a thread.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Joel Tunnah said:
Somebody starting a thread that consists of a link to eBay, the final price, and "I can't believe no one else bid on this!" is neither informative, nor in good taste, as Marc has noted.

Having said that, no one is suggesting censoring such a thread.

Then don't read it, I say. I believe we should let the man have is say, whether we like it or not. It's about a hat, not the president! (lower case intentional). I do, however, value your opinion my dear customer. I hope you folks don't mind a vendor getting involved in these discussions. I kind of enjoy the spirited conversations and am not shy of sharing opinions.

Feraud

Bartender
The final auction prices on similar items can fluctuate so wildly on ebay that I would not consider it a reliable source as a "hot tip" or accurate value appraiser.
The same Stetson Open Road can bring in $35.00 or $235.00. Our members have found vintage suits for bargain prices and other pay a decent sum. There is no rhyme or reason to an auction. It is a hit or miss situation depending on the participants and their desires.

I do not dispute the Lounge is and should be a source of shared information.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Joel Tunnah said:

C'mon, Joel. Don't tell me that you don't see the difference between telling folks about certain missed bargains (which I didn't bid on, by the way), versus crowing about the bargain price that you paid. It's clear that you're smarter than that. Cheap shots don't suit you.

I tell folks about missed bargains because I'm tired of Loungers saying that eBay is too expensive, or that good stuff is so hard to find there. My point is, it isn't. If you study the auction links I've provided in the past, you'll be able to figure out how to best find the bargains before they end. It's largely a matter of looking for certain words in certain categories ...

Now, gimme some love!

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
C'mon, Joel. Don't tell me that you don't see the difference between telling folks about certain missed bargains (which I didn't bid on, by the way), versus crowing about the bargain price that you paid. It's clear that you're smarter than that.

I tell folks about missed bargains because I'm tired of Loungers saying that eBay is too expensive, or that good stuff is so hard to find there. My point is, it isn't. If you study the auction links I've provided in the past, you'll be able to figure out how to best find the bargains before they end. It's largely a matter of looking for certain words in certain categories ...

Now, gimme some love!

So VERY true. Some times being dyslexic is a blessing. You would have no idea how many great deals I have got on eBay just because the item was misspelled or listed improperly.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Wow.

Among all the straw men that have been put up there is a pretty simple idea. It isn't censorship and doesn't require any rules that may or may not infringe upon one's civil liberties.

I suggested in my initial post that ebay had changed the way we buy old stuff - in this case hats. I said I didn't like these changes. I made a breif reference to some types of posts on the FLounge and that seems to be where the fire started. So, since I'm the kid with the lighter, let me try to clarify my position:

I don't want to suggest making any new rules. I don't want to see fewer hats posted, after all, why would I be here if I wasn't interested in hats. I understand the excitement and anticipation of anew hat that is on the way,

however,

I don't see a lot of point in posting ebay listings immediately after purchase becuase WHAT YOU SEE IS NOT ALWAYS WHAT YOU GET. If you want to post your ebay lisitng, I wil not stop you and I hope no-one else will either, but that listing offers much less information than YOU can provide once you have the hat in your actual, real possesion.

That's all.

If it isn't going to be too out of order I'd like to demostrate using recent threads by people who I don't believe have posted in this one as examples of what I DO NOT MEAN by this :

Now, I can admire someone's taste, their eye or aesthetic, even their connoiseurship and of course their knowledge and opinion, I even appreciate reviews of new items as they present something for the group to consider. But I've never been one to find pleasure in sitting around admiring someone's latest acquisitions if they are not put into one of contexts above. That's just a little bit too much like trying to admire all the little zeros on someone's bank statement.

Exibit A. FIFTY CENT...AKUBRA?
Notice that this thread begins with a hat anecdote. Something unusual and or interesting (hat related) occurs and results in a hat purchase. Not crass, not boring... but it needs pictures :D

Exibit B. A new one from Art
Here's a great one. A new hat from a well admired hat maker with pictures of the item being worn out there in the real world. Notice that the price tag is not mentioned this time. It's not necessary. Most people here know what a hat from Art Fawcett is going to cost, and if we don't we can always contact him ourselves. (I love that hat by the way WEEGEE and Art!)

Exibit C. Akubra Stylemaster in Acorn Fawn
Barry got a new hat. When it arrived he put it on his head and took a picture. He told us something about the hat he bought. What's so hard to understand here? See also: My Camp Draft arrived !

Exibit D. My first proper hat...
Here's a thread that captures that anticipation we've all experienced. It gives credit to a vendor who supports the lounge and simply shares the enthusiasm. If we all wanted a similar hat based on this post, we could all pm the vendor. There is no crowing, no waving of trophies, nothing the least bit crass. That's what I mean by sharing.

Exibit E. Rotating Out Here's a great thread. DOUGLAS has an extraordinary collection, all well photographed and well taken care of. This guy loves hats! He's taken the time to show us all the hats he's putting out of circulation for a while. There are some beauties in this crop. It's also interesting to see hats made by "that" hatter. We don't see many on these boards.

Exibit F. My first Mallory...
Here's an ebay purchase that's handled well, IMO. Spiridon got a hat at a good price. He posts pictures of the hat on his head and, with some prompting, gives some of the details of the sale. I'm sorry, but that post is a million times more intersting than the ebay listing alone could ever be.

And on and on.

I hope I didn't include anyone in these links who has contributed to this thread. The links are for demonstration purposes only.

Does that clear things up? Can we all be friends again?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
C'mon, Joel. Don't tell me that you don't see the difference between telling folks about certain missed bargains (which I didn't bid on, by the way), versus crowing about the bargain price that you paid. It's clear that you're smarter than that. Cheap shots don't suit you.

Now, gimme some love!

I think these types of posts are almost always informative - though also rarely hats. More often you've seen a suit or jacket or tie that went for a lower than expected bid. You also have a great eye and encyclopaedic knowledge for vintage details, so these threads also work like tutorials. All good.

That's all the lurv I can muster for now.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Ahem. After over 16 yrs in the antiques business-real antiques, not "collectables", with a successful business to show for my efforts, which
were mostly the result of diligent scholarship about the items I bought
and sold, primarily pre-1840 Connecticut River Valley antiques, and having
started out with practically no money-I tried to transfer what I learned to
the buying of hats for my own enjoyment. Some of the seemingly exhorbitant
prices I've paid were a result of taking the time and effort to email the
seller, ask for extra photos and some of the important information learned
here-to dig, get out the loup, listen to the experience of buying, and
listen to what was and wasn't said in private. Please do remember to not
hastily jump to conclusions based on appearances-there may be more to the
book than the cover. You've all forgotten that the price shown was not the price that carried the hat away. Smoke and mirrors. Could very well be that
that lid went down the road for a FAIR price, all things taken into consideration, including what the winning person was able to do with that experience-
ever hear the expression" he could sell ice to the iceman" ? goes for buying,
too...

epic610

One of the Regulars
With Art Fawcett...

out of the refurbishing busines and with higher ebay prices, i think the case for just going out and buying a new/and or custom-made hat is overwhelming. thank goodness we have a number of really great vendors who support this forum.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
FL Hat Talk

The hat thread at this web site always seems to have the most viewers day after day.

!. If people want to talk hats & Ebay let them!
2. If they want to talk hat prices let them!
3. If people want to talk hats pros & cons let them!

I come to this web site to get away from 2006 & have found the hat threads here a pleasant diversion :eusa_clap

SC ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner