Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Question for the experts

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
From my point of view, in Italy, the situation of how Borsalino rated their hats is really complex. In the last thirty years Borsalino changed for the EU market most of its models and finishing to pursue the "taste" of the Europeans. It was and it's a mess. Too fasshionable models without a direction. Some are good, some not so much and some are sons of the temporary fashion. So, most of the few wearing an hat in Italy, identify Borsalino as "the hat" does not matter models or materials, it is a status symbol. No more, no less. The price are higher that in any other countries and the choice is poor. IMO the best choice of Borsalinos is in the USA (Bencrafts above all) for models and prices. I think that some suggestions from this NY store led you to understand the actual rating of Borsalinos and believe me you are lucky :eek:

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
I've never noticed any markings or tags indicating quality I just went to Bencraft and tried on about ten different models. The Alessandrias and Verdis in certain colors seemed quite good as well. They definately err on the side of softness not stiffness. Although the taupe Verdi I tried on was stiffer than the others. The Verdi is a very nice hat, i just don't like the tapered crowns so it's the Film and Alessandrias for me. i pretty much have all the colors I want now so it's vintage or custom for me now. Unless they come out with some other colors. I'll keep checking.

G

Gabriel

Why is it so hard to find black/grey borsalinos?

It seems as if all over the internet I have searched (mostly etsy, ebay, and fl) most people don't sell grey or black borsalinos that often. I mean, am I just unlucky at this time to come and look for a borsalino of that type or are they like going extinct? D:

Advice would be highly appreciated.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Gabriel, we have about five thousand black Borsalino hats in our stores!!! And quite a few gray ones as well.

tommyK

One Too Many
Tommy, did Bencraft have the Film in you size? I should go check it out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg,yes,I've got Pearl, Tuape and Whiskey. They sometimes have colors they don't show on the website and don't always have every color in every size but definately worth the trip. You may like different models than I but they have a lot in stock. The prices have been climbing (I got all of mine at $250 a couple of years ago) so if you are interested, the sooner the better.

Last edited:

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I've bought a couple of Como's in the last year that are very nice and soft and malleable. Got the last one (grey with black band) from Delmonico where they were very helpful. To my mind they are more polished than the Alessandria. I have another Como (black) from maybe ten years ago that is much stiffer.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
A store (like Bencraft) whose clientele includes members of the Orthodox Jewish community will carry a large inventory of quality black hats. So if you're searching for black, that's where to look.

Appears to be a raw edge lightweight hat intended for travel. Not sure how antica. The soft finish of the felt reminds me of my Pocket Hat. Interesting that there are no markings on the sweatband. Are there any labels behind it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana