Borsalino Question for the experts

Discussion in 'Hats' started by EricH, Apr 13, 2006.

1. alanfgag

alanfgag

Appears to be a raw edge lightweight hat intended for travel. Not sure how antica. The soft finish of the felt reminds me of my Pocket Hat. Interesting that there are no markings on the sweatband. Are there any labels behind it?

2. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

The printed Borsalino is common on women's models but they usually have a grosgrain sweat and the bow on the right. Interesting!

3. the soupman

the soupman New in Town

No I've checked every place the felt is very soft and supple and it only has the two stamps

4. the soupman

the soupman New in Town

I don't think so

5. the soupman

the soupman New in Town

It's way to big for me it's at least a 7 1/2

6. Altiori

Altiori Familiar Face

I have a Film that I purchased about five years ago from JJ Hatters. Great hat and one of my favorites. Would anyone know the felt blend or dominant felt? It is so very soft yet holds its shape well. Thanks to all.

7. Borsalino = rabbit fur felt unless marked otherwise

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

RJR likes this.
  8. Altiori

Altiori Familiar Face

Thanks for the info; I thought The Film was a blend of rabbit and beaver. I never knew that all Borsalinos were generally rabbit. All the best.

9. BjornOrange

BjornOrange New in Town

Hello all,
    I am new to the forums, so thank you in advance if you have any information to share about a hat that i ran across in a vintage shop in Amery Wisconsin.
    I have done some basic research on this Borsalino hat and have an understanding that the Maurice Rothchild stamp on the inside of the hat refers to a department store in Chicago Illinois that closed in 1955. I am wondering if this hat is very old or do they continue to stamp hats with department stores to refer to a particular time in history ?

I am very happy with the hat, it is in great shape and i got it for 65 bucks.
    Which i thought was a good price? hat_.jpg hat_2.jpg hat_3.jpg

hatsRme, Rmccamey, BobHufford and 3 others like this.
  10. PanosChris

PanosChris Practically Family

Welcome to FL. Your hat is old. I would suggest to post it in the thread "Borsalino Brotherhood" and the experts here will give you the info you want. Also pics of other stamps, as well as of the paper label behind the sweatband will help.
    Panos

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  11. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

That is a very nice vintage Borsalino hat Sir. It has several very interesting appointments that would be of interest to see in more detail. The gilled ribbon and especially the multi stitched brim edge. Fantastic color and contrast. Please do repost in the Borsalino thread. The tags will tell the tale.
    You did extremely well for that price and i think you will find you have a diamond of a hat.
    Bowen

12. If someone likes fedoras they’re going to like that hat. Very nice! You should buy those all day for $65.

Rmccamey and PanosChris like this.
  13. Rumad

Rumad Practically Family

That is one beautiful hat my friend. Heckuva price tag. Well done.

14. BjornOrange

BjornOrange New in Town

Thanks everybody !
    I posted over in the brotherhood - talk at ya all later !

15. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

How come I never come across deals like that?! Heck of a find, especially at that price!

Rmccamey and belfastboy like this.