Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino ?'s

shodan

New in Town
I came across this Borsalino, it says "A Eppstein & Sons Farmer City" on the sweat band. I took it by a local hat shop, he said it was 100 beaver but didn't know anything else. It is a size 7 1/2, just too big for me. I am thinking of putting it in the classifieds or EBay. I want to be fair to buyers and myself; any idea of the value. Thanks
IMG_0809.jpg

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
shodan said:
...he said it was 100 beaver but didn't know anything else.

Unlikely, unless it says that on the hat somewhere. Borsalino used predominately rabbit fur felts, as did all other European makers. I see a number of eBay listings claiming beaver fur in European-made hats that are probably mistaken. Just because it's soft and feels expensive doesn't mean it's beaver...European hare and domestic Angora makes a nice felt, too.

I've bought and restored a few Borsos. Unless you are certain, don't draw conclusions. For me to pay top dollar, I want to see a clear photo and description of every detail of the hat. Every sweatband marking, sweatband condition, tags beneath the sweatband and liner, ribbon condition, loose stitching, moth nibbles, sweat stains in the felt, and an accurate measurement of the inside circumference of the sweatband. I also want to see profile photos of all 4 sides of the hat. Later Borsos can shrink badly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borsalino

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Bob Smaiser's advice is sound from a general selling perspective.

Value of that hat? Ultimately that will be determined by the highest bidder for it in an Ebay environment.

But I have seen a particular fedora with one or two lousy photos and a skimpy description sell for a fraction of what the same make and model sold for with multiple clear photos and detailed descriptive copy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw