Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon

katon

New in Town
I ask, because Bottled-in-Bond bourbons seemed to feature heavily in most Golden Era whiskey advertisements I've seen... That style of bourbon seems less popular today.

I ask, because Bottled-in-Bond bourbons seemed to feature heavily in most Golden Era whiskey advertisements I've seen... That style of bourbon seems less popular today.

Bottled in Bond was a big deal but today in So Cal I cannot find a bottle that has it on the lable. The tax lable was a green one so you could see it from a distance (regular tax lables were red) now there are no tax lables. The concept was it was specially made and was specially stored, technically it could be crap the gov't did not care but all of the time and effort made it a showcase style.

I seriouly doubt you would get many scots to agree to this statement:eusa_clap

There are very few blended boubons so the majority are the equvilant of single malt. There are small runs and Beam Black lable is the center cut. I believe there are even single cask bottlings but not sure.

Like any liquor that is mass produced some will be better than others and much has to do with one's personal tastes. The makers can use very traditional methods or go with steam stills but the actual blend of grains for the mix well, most are a family secret.

katon

New in Town
Some modern Bottled-in-Bond bourbons:

image7381.jpg

Old Fitzgerald

old_granddad.jpg

Old Grand-Dad

brbon_jwd5.jpg

J. W. Dant

4188484389_2fd6c55966_o.jpg

Very Old Barton

JTSBROWN100_lg.jpg

J.T.S. Brown

HEAVENHILL6YR100_lg.jpg

Heaven Hill

HEAVENHILL100_lg.jpg

Old Heaven Hill

TWSAMUELS100_lg.jpg

T.W. Samuels

(A lot of the more obscure images I found from a website called The Party Source, a wine and spirits retailer in Kentucky.)

*Edit:

20110220.jpg

Also, Evan Williams (from a bar in Japan)

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
Didn't really know there are so many different kind of bourbon brands out there.
In denmark I mostly know about Jack D and Jim Beam....and Four roses, that`s about it.
Could be useful to taste more bourbons, to compare taste with the scottish well known labels this way, to give the bourbon a fair test

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

The whole bottled in Bond portion of this post has made me want to go buy a bottled in bond Rittenhouse Rye to take home with me.

Got it, with Maraschino Cherries and Bitters, to make an Old Fashioned with.

Later

Last edited:
Didn't really know there are so many different kind of bourbon brands out there.
In denmark I mostly know about Jack D and Jim Beam....and Four roses, that`s about it.
Could be useful to taste more bourbons, to compare taste with the scottish well known labels this way, to give the bourbon a fair test

Jack Daniels is not Bourbon - it is Tennesee whiskey similar but not the same.

katon

New in Town
Two more modern Bottled-in-Bond bourbons:

4339107352_4815352bb5.jpg

Tom Moore, which I hear mostly ends up in Texas.

COLONEL%20LEE%20BIB%20100PROOF.JPG

Colonel Lee, from another bar in Japan. :)

katon

New in Town
Another Bottled-in-Bond. I haven't had this one recently, but I think it's still being made...

ancient-age-629.jpg

Ancient Age

katon

New in Town
Another Bottled-in-Bond bourbon:

henrymckennasinglebarrel.jpg

Henry McKenna Single Barrel, one of the longest aged Bottled-in-Bond bourbons. (The "Bottled in Bond" designation is on that hang tag.)

katon

New in Town
Also a few Golden Era bonded bourbon ads, courtesy of LIFE magazine.

kentuckytavern1936.jpg

Kentucky Tavern (1936)

oldtaylor1937-1.jpg

Old Taylor (1937)

oldcrow1940.jpg

Old Crow (1940)

iwharper1940.jpg

I.W. Harper (1940)

oldschenley1940.jpg

Old Schenley (1940)

oldgranddad1941.jpg

Old Grand-Dad (1941)

glenmore1941.jpg

Glenmore (1941)

oldforester1942.jpg

Old Forester (1942)

Last edited:

kyboots

Practically Family
I am still a fan of Markers too after many years. Was raised 20 miles from it. Back in the old days got a half pint in the MM copyright bottle as a souvenir. Nice people, fraternity brother and I drove down from UK one afternoon and they treated us like kings. Jack Daniels in Tenn. is owned by Brown Forman here in Louisville, huge company but one half of the revenue comes from Jack.( that is a concern ). Brown Forman is still family owned and a huge part of that company died today.Major benefactor to the arts and the University of Louisville. History:Bottled in Bond was just to standardize the process of making bourbon. It keeps the junk out of the marketplace. Back in the 20's and 30's there was no true guarantee of what you were getting if not BIB, so it was advertized. Not as important today but also means they are not following the process laid out. At least not adding wine to it.( I hope ). BTW three county area in central Ky. makes 75% of the USA's bourbon, 51% of the worlds bourbon. Big part of the economy down there, so keep drinking ( but not with Coke ).--John

Last edited:

flyfishark

Practically Family
I like Jefferson, Four Roses (honest, it's not like the old Four Roses), and Double Oaked Woodford. Can anyone from Kentucky tell me if there is anywhere to buy Pappy Van Winkle (Lot B, not the 20 year old)? It doesn't seem to exist around here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ