Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'bout to hit the road!

doghouse

One of the Regulars
We're hitting the road tommorow. Destination: Portland, Oregon!

We should arrive by Friday or so...Plan on staying at least till Monday as we have some job interviews.

Any reccomendations for must do/see on the way, or once we get there.

We will be hitting these places: Dallas, Tx; OKC, Ok; Denver, Co; Salt Lake City, UT; Boise, Id; and then on over to Portland.

I'm soooooo excited!!
(oh kid friendly stops also, as we will have all 4 of them with us)

- Eva

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Hi Eva:

About to embark upon your journey into the unknown? Thrilling, isn't it? And that's not even taking into account that you're about to drive across a land of such vast beauty that it seemed invented just for Technicolour and CinemaScope! Certainly they're the only technologies that could ever come close doing it justice.

However, here's a few cautionary notes based upon my own personal experiences treking cross-country that may be of some use to you:

Be aware that you might be bullied and harrassed by truck drivers whose jaded, drug-adled minds aren't waxing poetic over all that Purple Mountain Majesty surrounding them, but rather on playing sick road games on unsuspecting motorists, especially ones with 4-cylinder engine cars. If your car has some muscle stay clear of those maniacs. If you don't, be prepared for your life to become an outtake of Steven Spielberg's Duel.

Additionally, keep appraised of changing local weather conditions. At about this time of year - and especially in the more mountainous regions - the weather can change with lightning swiftness from sunny and clear to violent thunderstorms (complete with golfball-sized hail stones), blizzard conditions and, in some cases, blinding dust storms. (If you've ever experienced a thunderhead rolling across the Great Plains you'll come to understand why mid-westerners have such an apocalyptic sense of religion!)

Understand that I'm writing this in the spirit of helpfulness, not with the intention of alarming you. When I left Chicago in August of 1994 to work in San Francisco on James and the Giant Peach I had no idea what to expect. Some of the bizarre misadventures I experienced could have been avoided had a few so-called "family friends" willingly divulged some of their own hard-won information. Knowledge is indeed power! Forewarned is forearmed! Etc., etc., etc.

Here's hoping that you and your family have a safe and memorable (in the best possible sense of the word) trip out west!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Oklahoma City, OK

The Cowboy Hall of Fame is located in OKC; also, a far more sobering
site, the Memorial at the location of the Murrah Federal Bldg in
downtown OKC.
If just passing through OKC, the McDonald's at NW23rd&Pennsylvania,
is the best bet for a fast burger/fries...

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Portland

Benson Hotel - built in 1912 with amazing architecture. In the hotel they have two of the best restaurants in the city too. A great place to have a drink.

Avalon - Best vintage store in the city.

Powell's - Best bookstore in the world.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
doghouse said:
Thanks you guys! :)

Although now I'm debating whether to bypass the Rockies due to the snow they're having. Any thoughts? I'd really rather not.. but if it'd be smarter....

Quick question. How were you planning on "bypassing" the Rockies? [huh]

Did they develop a hole when I wasn't looking? :D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wish I had some suggestions for you. But, being an east-coaster, I really don't know the areas you will be visiting. I have spent time out that way, and know that it is beautiful country.
So, just wanted to wish you a safe and happy journey! Have some fun, and best of luck on the job interviews:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters