Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Dan'l

Practically Family
Thanks to all of you for your comments.

Yesterday, as soon as I got home I tried my luck again with that bow tie and got it right the first try, go figure. Here it is;
P3010010.jpg

This morning went much better and here is today's bow tie
P3020012.jpg

Those are two different shirts by the way. :)

I like how the bow tie doesn't get in the way like a necktie can at times, even with a tie clip I still manage mishaps.

Dan'l

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Seeing the above photo with my red “office cardigan” and the blue-and-white bow made me think patriotic thoughts, and wonder about getting a bow to wear on Independence Day.

Unfortunately, most holiday-theme bow ties are goofy and give bow tie wearing a bad name. Anyone know where I can find one that’s fairly conservative?

I’m thinking maybe one that looks entirely like the left side of this one:

896_815_popup.jpg

That is to say, just the blue field with white stars, and no red-and-white stripes. I am open to other suggestions, though.

Thanks,

Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
No, the Churchill-dot always ties pretty well. Maybe that's because it was my first and therefore the one on which I learned. It's quite thin, though, and doesn't always want to stay tied.

-Dave

in/y

One of the Regulars
Perhaps you could have one made for you. I ran into a place out there in the cyberworld called the Cordial Churchman (http://thecordialchurchman.bigcartel.com/) . They will make you a bowtie for out of an old straight tie (I'm sure there's some cheap tie out there with a pattern that would work for you) or you can supply the fabric & they'll make one for you.

I've never tried them myself but it looks interesting. Their prices for their already made bowties aren't too bad, so I'd guess that a custom job wouldn't be out of sight either.

I've always thought the bow tie was a look not everyone could pull off.

Bow ties are an excellent choice for formal wear and there they are more "acceptable." For some activities a bow tie would be a fine choice but the general public doesn't see a need for dressing up very much and regular ties are ill regarded then bow ties might make one a target.

"Wearing a sweater like that could get you beat up in the second grade."

in/y

One of the Regulars
Just did a quick look on the 'bay and found that Tommy Hilfiger made/makes? something that might work for converting to an all stars bowtie. Listing is here.

tie1-1.jpg

It may be more than what you want to pay for a tie that you'll be converting but they are out there.

Espee

Practically Family
mainebows.com will also convert a long tie-- for $30 (the same as if they made a tie from their own material.)
Under Holidays/4th of July, they have one called Ben Franklin, which has more than stars... but no stripes.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Yesterday was Bow Tie Friday again, this time featuring a brown suit, tan button-down, and "Black Watch" tartan tie. The novelty of someone in a bow tie has worn off, and the pleasant comments were missing this week, but there was one general compliment about looking good, which I naturally attributed to the presence of the bow tie.

Espee

Practically Family
For the first time, I've seen a self-tie bow tie at a Burlington Coat Factory (Fullerton CA). A Haspel three-color stripe, for $7.99. I wonder how many more will turn up...

Espee

Practically Family
I have only seen one or two self tie bow ties ever, and was wondering was that one adjustable for overall length?
(Re Haspel bow tie for $7.99 at Burlington Coat Factory, Fullerton CA)
The first one I saw must have "wandered away from the group" (it was at the front of a peg with a couple hundred four-in-hands.)
This time I went over to the tux area and I found about 25 patterns of Haspel, in clear plastic packages. Printed patterns and a few solid-color-with-texture.... ranging from formal and "party time!" to some that are more-or-less "everyday." They have length adjustment via the T-hook which goes into your choice of holes... from what I could see through the package, the range is from about 13 3/4 to 18 1/2.

(Re Haspel bow tie for $7.99 at Burlington Coat Factory, Fullerton CA)

This time I went over to the tux area and I found about 25 patterns of Haspel, in clear plastic packages. Printed patterns and a few solid-color-with-texture.... ranging from formal and "party time!" to some that are more-or-less "everyday." They have length adjustment via the T-hook which goes into your choice of holes... from what I could see through the package, the range is from about 13 3/4 to 18 1/2.

Thanks for checking that out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff