Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Yesterday was a "full up" bow tie Friday. Guard stripe bow tie with matching braces, blue pinstripe suit, pocket square, cufflink shirt, lapel pin, and fedora.

Because I've done this for years, people are used to it, but I still get lots of smiles. We've just moved into a newly renovated building, so new people are seeing me. Lots of double takes and smiles.

By this point people are viewing my bow ties as an entitlement. If I forget, I get grief and disappointment all day.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
...and this week's entry in the one man crusade to spread bow tie-ism throughout the English-speaking world by the means of the quixotic Bow Tie Friday sees a light blue bow tie with a regularly spaced gold medallion pattern, worn with white button down, navy blue blazer, khaki slacks, and brown belt. More Ivy league than vintage, we must admit...

edit: with a pocket square, a la puff, lying there looking like it doesn't care

Last edited:
...and this week's entry in the one man crusade to spread bow tie-ism throughout the English-speaking world by the means of the quixotic Bow Tie Friday sees a light blue bow tie with a regularly spaced gold medallion pattern, worn with white button down, navy blue blazer, khaki slacks, and brown belt. More Ivy league than vintage, we must admit... edit: with a pocket square, a la puff, lying there looking like it doesn't care

Funny how a bow tie with a tux is really formal but a bow tie and suit or a blazer seems to indicate abit more "fancy-free" attitude than stodgey?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Funny how a bow tie with a tux is really formal but a bow tie and suit or a blazer seems to indicate abit more "fancy-free" attitude than stodgey?

You present one of the dualities of modern life. Well put, sir.

Punctuation can change a declaration to a question, so too, a bow tie changes something from formal to jaunty.
(somebody will read this and point out the differences between a tuxedo and a blazer, but aw shucks we're just philosophizing...)

IndianaWay

New in Town
Just have to say "kudo's" to all who have posted on this thread (especially pictures) and have excellent looking ties!! I bought 3 "new to me" ties today, used the web to figure out how to tie the knot and... let's just say these ties won't be going out in public until some technical difficulties are resolved. I can reasonably get the basic knot to come together - but I have difficulties getting it tight, keeping the "pieces" where they should be and keeping both sides even. Any guidance as to how "wide" the bows should go compared to the shirt collar? Two of the ties are lightweight material; one is a narrow plaid with a pointed angle at each end. Don't know that they are necessarily vintage, but they are definitely not the big ugly (in my opinion) 70's looking things. Kudo's again and thanks for the inspiration!

Whizz for Atomms

New in Town
Just have to say "kudo's" to all who have posted on this thread (especially pictures) and have excellent looking ties!! I bought 3 "new to me" ties today, used the web to figure out how to tie the knot and... let's just say these ties won't be going out in public until some technical difficulties are resolved. I can reasonably get the basic knot to come together - but I have difficulties getting it tight, keeping the "pieces" where they should be and keeping both sides even. Any guidance as to how "wide" the bows should go compared to the shirt collar? Two of the ties are lightweight material; one is a narrow plaid with a pointed angle at each end. Don't know that they are necessarily vintage, but they are definitely not the big ugly (in my opinion) 70's looking things. Kudo's again and thanks for the inspiration!

Are they adjustable ties? If so setting them to your collar size should give you the 'correct' length for the tied bow, although I tend to put mine on at the collar size and then adjust as neccessary afterwards - some ties seem a touch too long, some a little bit short. It all comes down to personal taste, but if your bow is so long it starts to droop, or so small you can barely see it then you might want to reconsider the length.

With regards to tightening / getting the sides even etc.... I don't think there's any real advice apart from practice makes perfect! I tend to tie the bowtie very tight around the neck to start with - then put a finger either side of the bow on the inside and pull out slightly. This tightens the knot from the back and loosens it around my neck a little allowing me to breath again ;-) Then I just pull/tweak the bow until it looks relatively neat and tidy...

Holding the end of the back 'bow' and pulling the back part of the back loop will tighten the loop from the front, I don't think I've explained that very well, but if you check out some online guides to tying the bowtie they usually show how to tighten it as well.

Keep practicing - it's like learning to tie your shoe laces, seems impossible and then it just 'clicks' and you've got it.

IndianaWay

New in Town
Still trying...

Thanks for the tips - just feeling this morning like a man ought to be able to tie a bowtie and I'm not there yet!! :) These are not adjustable; about 43 inches long and I have a 17 inch neck approximately. They seem a little long -obviously I didn't get them "right" enough to say for sure but there was a tendency to droop. So in partial response to the earlier post re: length, maybe 43 inches is a little long for a 17 inch neck? I could be way wrong, but that's my reaction. Thanks again!

Whizz for Atomms

New in Town
43" long? That sounds much too long for a bow tie to me. I set a few of mine to 17" neck size and they measure between 34 - 35" in length...!

IndianaWay

New in Town
43" long? That sounds much too long for a bow tie to me. I set a few of mine to 17" neck size and they measure between 34 - 35" in length...!

Ummm... (red faced) that might explain a lot. I think this novice got excited about possible Goodwill finds that were perhaps not designed for a man...! Thanks for the input!!! (I'lll slink away now...) :eek:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think what Indiana Way was implying was that he inadvertantly got himself a LADIES tie. I would suspect that there's nothing to be done to a tie like that to eliminate the Nancy Reagan look it must have.
IndyW, don't feel bad. I suspect that a thread on "Most embarrassing mistake made regarding a piece of vintage clothing" thread might elicit some pretty funny reponses.

Whizz for Atomms

New in Town
Ummm... (red faced) that might explain a lot. I think this novice got excited about possible Goodwill finds that were perhaps not designed for a man...! Thanks for the input!!! (I'lll slink away now...) :eek:

Oh dear, still, it's easy to get carried away when you think you've spotted a bargain. Perhaps you should keep an eye out for an adjustable tie - I suspect you'll find it a lot easier to tie when it's the correct length ;-)

IndianaWay

New in Town
If length is the only thing holding them back, why not just shorten them? Get a safety pin and pin together eight inches or so in the back and see if they tie up okay.

-Dave

Thanks so much for the education you all have provided today!! I'm still not sure what I've got, and since I've already kinda' embarrassed myself let me throw a couple more thoughts out in hopes it will benefit someone else down the road.

I tried using a safety pin to shorten one of the ties by 8 inches or so and could see relatively quickly that the shorter length could work. It's going to take practice but I could see the formative stage of a "real" bow tie knot.

These 43 inch ties I bought have widths (at the ends) of 2.5 inches, 2 inches, and 1 3/4 inches. I looked at Wikipedia (because if it's online it must be true) and the style seems to be "batwing" for all 3. I'm still not completely sure what I bought are truly men's bowties based on the 43" length. I would appreciate any more input you gents are willing to offer. Thanks again - all the best from down "Indiana Way!" :)

Whizz for Atomms

New in Town
These 43 inch ties I bought have widths (at the ends) of 2.5 inches, 2 inches, and 1 3/4 inches. I looked at Wikipedia (because if it's online it must be true) and the style seems to be "batwing" for all 3. I'm still not completely sure what I bought are truly men's bowties based on the 43" length. I would appreciate any more input you gents are willing to offer. Thanks again - all the best from down "Indiana Way!" :)

I'm no expert but those all sound quite wide to me, most of my ties are 1950's or early 60's batwing and are around 1" - 1 1/4" in width. Personally I find the batwing type easier to tie than a butterfly/thistle type - but then I'm not at my best first thing in the morning...

IndianaWay

New in Town
I'm no expert but those all sound quite wide to me, most of my ties are 1950's or early 60's batwing and are around 1" - 1 1/4" in width. Personally I find the batwing type easier to tie than a butterfly/thistle type - but then I'm not at my best first thing in the morning...

Sounds to me like I have an answer - one I'll laugh at someday. To summarize, "be careful when buying off the tie rack at Goodwill." :eek: Ah well, just what I've learned from you all is worth the $6 I spent. Hope this helps other "newbies" someday!! All the best -

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Bow Tie Friday this week was a modest success, with an approving comment about looking "dapper," which I take as one of the highest compliments. The ensemble consisted of white button-down collar shirt, brownish tweed coat, olive slacks, wine colored Cole Haan tassled loafers, and a nifty bow tie with baseballs and bats against a gold background, in honor of the Start of the Season. More preppy- which I'm not- than vintage. Perhaps I was unconsciously going for the professorial look.

Espee

Practically Family
A freshening-up of the Penney's Mens Dept. includes a large photo of a man in a bow tie. So now I'm seeing bow ties displayed in some Penney's where I hadn't seen any before. In one they were 50% off (from regular $36.00 or so) and in another (Westminster CA I think it was) they were 80% off. At Lakewood they still don't seem to have any, but they have the photo.
Previously, I was only aware of bow ties at Downey-- at full price or sometimes, "get second one at half price."

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Let me run something up the ol' flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

I think it's a mistake to strive for a "perfect" bow tie. If you want perfection, get a pre-tied one!

A bow tie is a very individual thing and allows a person a bit of leeway in how the tie looks. Besides that, it is a lot easier to get it "close enough" than to spend too much time. I have found that I get to a "close enough" stage, and then try and go further to get it "just right" and then things fall into a heap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner