Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

jodbirch

New in Town
AntonAAK,

Yes...that's the photo! I'm definitely going to try it this week at work! I'll probably leave my revolver at home though.

jodbirch

New in Town
Much of what we regard as fashion advice may have originated in Europe which historically has cooler weather than much of the USA. We have heat and in some places humidity in the summer that can make being dressed up an uncomfrotable task. The Brits in Jamaica and some of the tropical areas did concide to the heat and made some changes for it. If the creator of James Bond did it, it's good enough for me.

That's a good point! Sometimes it can feel like a tropical jungle here in Arkansas when we get into the "dog days" of summer. Maybe I should carry a copy of this picture in my wallet. I can whip it out and show them if anybody comments on my short sleeves/bow tie combo!

Espee

Practically Family
My mom reminds me that my father hated wearing long sleeves, so he'd go to his office job in short sleeves and long tie. If the bosses might be looking, he kept his jacket on!
I've seen so many old photos of short sleeves+bow tie, that I don't think anything of it. Of course, an agent in a rural train depot, in the summer, can get by with more. In 1920, his bow tie is enough for that level of company-client contact.
And if it's a man at a picnic in 1923, our modern minds might say "Wearing a TIE? At a PICNIC?"

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Here's my latest acquisition (at the end of the workday, so it's a little lopsided -- it looked better earlier in the day):

redbow2.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Here's one I seldom choose to wear -- I don't love the pattern of the fabric. But it's okay for very occasional wear. The color is a more vivid maroon than it appears in this photo.

bowtie062012

Edward

Bartender
Here's one I seldom choose to wear -- I don't love the pattern of the fabric. But it's okay for very occasional wear. The color is a more vivid maroon than it appears in this photo.

bowtie062012

I like that a lot! Puts me in mind of a bow version of a lot of my late Forties ties with the bold prints...

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I think the best bow I ever tied still had plenty of inherent nonchalance. They virtually never come out perfect; you can always tell they're hand-tied, which is all I care about.

McMurdo

One of the Regulars
The other day I tied one while walking down the street I checked it by looking in a car window. I should have got a photo perhaps next time, I did think it look pretty good, and it proved to me that I was getting better at tying a bow tie.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
An eighth-grade lad wanted to wear a bow tie for his promotion ceremony and came to me for a "lesson." Knowing from experience that tying a bow tie is a process, not an act, I did the bow for him. First time I'd done it on someone else.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I think the best bow I ever tied still had plenty of inherent nonchalance. They virtually never come out perfect; you can always tell they're hand-tied, which is all I care about.

I have many vintage tie-your-owns that I haven't quite mastered, but clip-ons are one of those things that are always kicked in to the corner. I posted that photo just to show their wonderful and whimsical designs. From the amount that were manufactured in the past millions of men must have worn them. I would never wear a clip-on necktie.

I have many vintage tie-your-owns that I haven't quite mastered, but clip-ons are one of those things that are always kicked in to the corner. I posted that photo just to show their wonderful and whimsical designs. From the amount that were manufactured in the past millions of men must have worn them. I would never wear a clip-on necktie.
I use both, I think all types have a place, hey your a man of course you can master a bow tie!!
VM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana