Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

wow

now that's a bow tie!!
NSyoung.jpg

VM

Espee

Practically Family
Add to "Forsyth of Canada" point-ends at Burlington:
Solids-- red, black, purple, and bright orange.
Also maroon with fine swirls of orange (that one may get me, or vice-versa.)

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Those are exquisite! Do you take commissions?

Thanks, Edward! I just cut out the rest of the silk, which yielded two more striped bows and two more of the burgundy ones (and one necktie of each). I haven't decided a price yet, but PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:

DOGSBODY

New in Town
Hi, the bow tie is something that I have wanted to do for years , and as a draughtsman I feel that it would fit in quite well , and not dangle in my coffee cup , but does one start the trend wearing a suit or will it work with my leather A2 jacket , a nice bright red spotted one , that's what I long for .

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
You see bow ties a lot in old ads and photos in a casual context. Out in the country for the weekend. Paired with tweed or corduroy. Contexts in which a long tie would flap around or dangle or in some other way be in the way of what you're doing. I see no problem with a bow tie and a leather jacket. I know it was done "back in the day".

Edward

Bartender
I've paired a bow tie with my Aero Thirties Halfbelt on many occasions. Works really well with the 'leather jacket as replacement for suit jacket" Howard Hughes look too, IMO.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
The bow tie is really casual wear, other than black tie. I believe that it dresses down a suit, but also dresses up something like an A2. I would wear it with most casual jackets.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Hi, the bow tie is something that I have wanted to do for years , and as a draughtsman I feel that it would fit in quite well , and not dangle in my coffee cup , but does one start the trend wearing a suit or will it work with my leather A2 jacket , a nice bright red spotted one , that's what I long for .

the bow tie with a fair ilse sweater is a classic inter war years English office look; perfect for the draughtsman / architect / code breaker.
pair it with some round glasses for the geeky-but-intense look. ;)

hi there I wear mine with an old leather and yes just bought this cardigan.
Untitled-1.jpg

cable.jpg

VM

Edward

Bartender
The bow tie is really casual wear, other than black tie. I believe that it dresses down a suit, but also dresses up something like an A2. I would wear it with most casual jackets.

Probably technically speaking, but (I suppose because black tie in the only time most people wear one nowadays) people I encounter nowadays seem to think of them as impossibly formal, posh, exotic. Interestingly, I get the same reaction to cravats when I wear them out (which would tend to support the theory that it's a rarity thing that gives it that air to people). I tend to wear a bow regularly in the office, and more often than not to graduation ceremonies. Funny, a few years ago I didn't care for them outside of evening wear, but now I wear them almost as often as a four in hand. Traditionally, of course, they were most commonly the preserve of architects, draftsmen, medical doctors, and anyone else or whom keeping their neckwear out of their work was desirable... ;) The people I still see them on occasionally are mostly academics -some of them even old enough not to be emulating the good Professor Jones.... ;)

hi there I wear mine with an old leather and yes just bought this cardigan.
Untitled-1.jpg

Nice jacket - any more information? Looks not unlike a Highwayman. Zip sleeves?

I like this. I often wear a bow with a cardy in the Winter, and either an Irvin, a B3 or a B15C as outerwear. Are those buttons metallic, or is that just the light? They almost look like they have been cast to look like mediaeval coins?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Traditionally, of course, they were most commonly the preserve of architects, draftsmen, medical doctors, and anyone else or whom keeping their neckwear out of their work was desirable...

If British films are anything to go by, I'd say that bow ties were anything but the preserve of the professional classes. Instead, they were widely associated with 'wide boys' and all manner of disreputable types.....

Gambler (The Titfield Thunderbolt)
StanleyHollowayandflower.jpg

Workshy lowlife (Major Barbara)
majorbarbara-combination.jpg

Bookie (Passport to Pimlico)
BowTie-SydneyTafler-PassporttoPimlico.jpg

Corrupt jockey (Brothers in law)
Brothersinlaw-dodgy.jpg

Assassin (The Green Man)
GreenMan-Bowtie.jpg

Black Marketeer (Hue & Cry)
HC-Bowtie2.jpg

Proponent of 'One upmanship' (School for Scoundrels)
scoundrels-bowtie.jpg

Tax evading philanderer (Too Many Crooks)
TooManyCrooks-Bowtie.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
and here are some more dodgy bow tie wearers:

Dodgy Bookie (Belles of St Trinians)
BellesofST-Waistcoat.jpg

Self centred poet (Lucky Jim)
LuckyJim-checkedwaistcoat.jpg

Man about to perpetrate a scam (School for Scoundrels)
scoundrels-bowtie-changeofimage.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112