Bow Ties

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Imahomer, Jun 14, 2004.

1. MisterGrey

MisterGrey Practically Family

Adding to the shifty bow-tie wearers catalog:

Two-bit pimp (Scarlet Street)
    [​IMG]

(Duryea's character wears a variety of bow-ties throughout the movie, which even includes a scene of his girlfriend tying one for him while he's wearing it. Kudos to the actress for being able to accomplish that feat).

2. Matt Crunk

Matt Crunk One Too Many

I guess mainly because I never wear bow ties (though I am thinking about it) and hove no idea how to tie one. That, and some of those clip-ons that Quigley Brown showed on his flatbed scanner pic were really swell.

3. skyvue

skyvue Call Me a Cab

Definitely learn to tie one; it's a very satisfying old-school skill to have. There are good tutorials on Youtube and elsewhere, so with some practice, you can definitely manage it.

I agree that many clip-ons have designs that appeal, but, for me, they always look like clip-ons. I wish there were more self-ties with the kind of interesting fabrics one so often sees used in clip-ons.

4. BR Gordon

BR Gordon One Too Many

Well said.:eusa_clap

5. MikeBravo

MikeBravo One Too Many

Agree 100%, most satisfying feeling having tied your own. This video has been mentioned numerous times on The Lounge, and its the one I used to learn how to tie a bow. It is worth persevering with. Most satisfying

[video=youtube;VJv4Qh7zR3E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJv4Qh7zR3E[/video]

The trick is to put yourself in the place of the person wearing the tie, remembering which side of his body the loose ends go. And keep referring to the video as much as you need. It will come together

6. skyvue

skyvue Call Me a Cab

Here's my latest acquisition. I'm not sure it's vintage -- I suspect it's not -- but I like it.

[​IMG]

7. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Bow ties got a lot more popular in the 40s. FDR wore them almost exclusively, and in the post war period, up till about 1953 or 54, they were VERY big. Here's Dave Garroway, first host of the TODAY Show, around 1953.
    [​IMG]
    (I may have posted this same image in this thread before, but I didn't feel like paging back for an hour :) )

One aggravating thing is that vintage bow ties are MUCH harder to find than regular ties. My theory is that a bowtie undergoes a lot more stress and strain in its life, which cased them to fray and wear out more quickly. The few vintage bows I have show definite signs of wear.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  8. Quigley Brown

Quigley Brown Call Me a Cab

I guess it's just a little personality defect I have that makes me wear clip-ons. I just throw caution to the wind......;)

9. Maybe but the clip-ons you have don't look like clip-ons. :p You manage to find all the coolest ones. :D

10. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

[​IMG]

11. skyvue

skyvue Call Me a Cab

My latest acquisition:

[​IMG]

12. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

[​IMG]

This week's Bow Tie Friday offering features a new number from the crafty folks at Croft and Barrow; picked up by Mrs. Hood while out shopping.

13. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Familiar Face

[​IMG]

Tie: Paul Stuart

14. Espee

Espee Practically Family

Kohl's has more bows than ever before (Croft & Barrow label.). About 60% are pre-tied.
    When I saw them at 45% off (of $32.00) that made them just slightly more than I've ever paid for a tie.

15. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

Mrs. Hood just picked up a bunch for me while she was out shopping (see the above post for one example). Plus, some good pocket squares.

16. boushi_mania

boushi_mania One of the Regulars

You don't say. Looks like one that The Cordial Churchman had a few years back (and I missed out on).

17. Good to know that they are still around for a reasonable price. My sons better not see it. They will end up costing me money. :p

18. Espee

Espee Practically Family

One Sears had some bows... all I remember is that the name was French.
    Not much variation in width, among the 6-7 brands I see at Ross, Marshall's, and Burlington. (I'd expect Penguin to offer some narrow ones from 1950s inspiration, but theirs are the same width as most of the others.)
    Sean John has fat ones.

19. Quigley Brown

Quigley Brown Call Me a Cab

very whimsical....

[​IMG][/IMG]

20. Great. :eusa_clap Now show us it tied around your neck. :p