Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
get-attachment_zps4b68ce25-1_zps15f90ae3.jpg

A late post from Friday's Bow Tie Friday. Picture turned out kind of crummy.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
This is good stuff, getting in the groove of doing a bow tie is not all that hard after you learn how...this is really great informational instructive. I know it may be a "sin" for some bow tie people, as I own only two myself....but I am getting a very colorful pre-tied bow tie as it is faster for me to simply toss it on. There are times I find myself having to re tie my bow tie, and as slow as I can get at times, the easier route of having a nice tie that is already to go is good for me. But nothing beats the look of a real bow tied when it is proper in matching what a person would wear and seeing the knot being well executed.

Master Mason

New in Town
Looking for bow ties

I need to find a self tie bowtie in both black and piqué white. However I really detest the adjustable self tie bows. Anyone have a source of fixed lenght ones?

Espee

Practically Family
At one point in the tying, I use my mouth as a third hand. (Hmmm... where has this tie been?)
It was a bit of an issue when a teenager and his parents asked me to demonstrate, while I was browsing a bow tie display...

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
IMG_3274_zpse2d5af9e.jpg

I don't often wear bow ties but i saw this one today and had to buy it. Orange is such a good colour and it be perfect with a blue suit.

Merlin

Familiar Face
I picked up this tie a few years ago at a historical reenactors' convention outside of Chicago - a vendor sold me this and eight or ten others for about $35. There's no label on it, so I have no idea what brand it is, but I'd guess it dates anywhere from around 1955 to 1965 (though if anyone has other thoughts, I'd love to hear them). It's actually a bit greener than the photo might indicate. . . for whatever reason, this photo makes it look rather on the blue side.

6DC51B9D-C9A3-4D40-BE41-44E40D10D088-3999-0000020088B508B7_zpsff9714c2.jpg

And here it is on Monday of this week, immediately after leaving the office. Apologies for the dishevelment (though the color of the tie looks more accurate in this pic).

796C9598-6F04-476B-8EC4-A454C5523B29-3999-0000020071A20723_zpsb993fe4c.jpg

job

One Too Many
I've not seen any clip on bow ties on this thread and most loungers may dislike them but I do have some that I like.
They just don't make them like they used to.

62313milan001_zps1d7b2767.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I've not seen any clip on bow ties on this thread and most loungers may dislike them but I do have some that I like.
They just don't make them like they used to.

62313milan001_zps1d7b2767.jpg

I have hundreds of vintage clip-ons. Sure, they are looked down upon by those who tie theirs (I have plenty of those kind, too), but some have such unique designs that they have to be worn to be shown.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Charles Eames demonstrating how bow ties don't work with soft, long pointed collar sports shirts:

charles_eames_zps0cb23c72.jpg
Makes a mental note not to wear a bowtie with a spearpoint collar.

Fellas, does anyone know of an easy to follow instuctional video that makes tying a bowtie a piece of cake?
The paper pattern instruction that comes with new bowties is pathetic. I've spent hours in front a mirror,
with the computer to one side trying to follow the YouTube "How to," instruction.
Perhaps it's me that's pathetic. I can get to the finished result, but it always looks like a bedraggled limp affair,
as though I had been caught in a downpour. It takes the deft fingers of my wife to get it looking as smart as
Merlin's. I am sure it's a question of practice makes perfect, I've always tied a neck tie with the Windsor knot,
something that some friends find impossible, but I can do it without a mirror. So I guess that the bowtie has to
be similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112