Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I wore my black with white polka dots tie last weekend to a dance, along with my dark blue cardigan. Shirt is blue checks with button down collar. Cap is my grey winter weight herringbone.

And yes, the ladies loved it, said I was cute.

BillJackson

New in Town
How to Tie a Bow Tie

1. Drape the bow tie around your neck, under your collar, and grasp the ends. The end on your right should extend about 1.5 inches lower than the end on your left side.

2. Cross the longer end over the shorter end. You should cross the tie near your neck so that the loop around your neck is just large enough to work with but not loose; you don’t want your bow dangling in front of your chest.

3. Pass the longer end up through the loop, forming a simple, loose overhand knot. Use this opportunity to tighten the knot if necessary.

4. Pull the dangling end to the left and then fold it back over itself to the right. Hold this fold, which will be the front loop of the completed tie, between your shirt’s collar points.

5. Drop the raised end of the tie over the front of the bow.

6. Grab the left and right sides of the horizontally-folded end and pinch them together in front of the dangling end. The top of the dangling end will now be held between them

7. Feed the middle of the dangling end back through the knot you made in Step 3. It will now form the back half of the bow.

8. Tighten the bow by pulling on opposite sides and halves simultaneously. Pull the front right and back left ends apart to loosen; pull the front left and back right apart to tighten. Repeat until the bow is the desired shape and tightness.

9. Finished.

theprofessor

New in Town
I've been wearing bow ties for 15 yrs now. I get far more compliments than anyone would believe. the key to wearing a bow tie is not to give a flying rats *** what anyone thinks!

VaVaNeckwear

New in Town
does anyone know of an easy to follow instuctional video that makes tying a bowtie a piece of cake?

I don't have a link to a video with which to provide you, but the best piece of advice I got when learning to tie a bow tie is that it's exactly the same method/technique as tying a shoelace. As someone else has mentioned, practice by tying it around your leg. When tying it around my neck, I usually close my eyes and imagine the shoelace - using a mirror confuses the issue, so I only go to it once it's tied, to make adjustments.

clarinetplayer

Familiar Face
attachment.php

gear-guy

Practically Family
I've been wearing bow ties for 15 yrs now. I get far more compliments than anyone would believe. the key to wearing a bow tie is not to give a flying rats *** what anyone thinks!
at
Could not agree more prof. Where the ties, look good, and don't care what other people think. If anyone laughs then they don't have any style!

gear-guy

Practically Family
I did not read all of the post but if anyone is looking for bow ties the tie bar sells well make ties for $15. Have a couple and they are good quality for the price. They also have pocket squares that are very nice for $8. Really hard to beat the price.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi folks.

I recently got my hands on some very nice bowties and cravats for cheap.

How can I wash them? Or MUST they be dry-cleaned? I've washed ordinary neck-ties by hand. But I'm not sure about these. They're pretty old. Some are silk, others are Rayon. The instructions on the Rayons just says: "Wash as silk", which I assume means "wash the same way you wash silk". A couple say "Dry Clean Only".

They don't smell, and they're not stained so far as I can see. But is there a way to safely wash silk (or rayon) garments at home? I've read many conflicting reports about this. Or am I overthinking this, and should just leave them be, and wear them as they are?

Last edited:

joeyorav

New in Town
A man that refuses to wear a bow tie is a man that is afraid to experiment. A man that is afraid to experiment is no man at all.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Hi folks.

I recently got my hands on some very nice bowties and cravats for cheap.

How can I wash them? Or MUST they be dry-cleaned? I've washed ordinary neck-ties by hand. But I'm not sure about these. They're pretty old. Some are silk, others are Rayon. The instructions on the Rayons just says: "Wash as silk", which I assume means "wash the same way you wash silk". A couple say "Dry Clean Only".

They don't smell, and they're not stained so far as I can see. But is there a way to safely wash silk (or rayon) garments at home? I've read many conflicting reports about this. Or am I overthinking this, and should just leave them be, and wear them as they are?

I would be inclined to give them a brush with a soft clothes brush, same as for trousers etc. maybe have tow of them (one silk then one rayon) dry cleaned and see how it works out? If it turns out better then do the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk