Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Me too, I just bought it so I should get it next week. It looked interesting so I took a chance. I'll have to learn how to tie it before I can post a pick. I've been watching some viideo's on how to do it.

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Making regular ties into bow ties.

Don't know if this has been posted here before, but I have tried this on several of my vintage ties and it works. You do have to choose the right tie for it to look good and the tie shouldn't taper too drastically. But it's a great way to get more mileage out of some of the ties you may not wear as much anymore. I'm recycling several of my vintage ties into bow ties using this method. I know there are several ways to do it but I liked this one the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILpkXjOTPFA

fedoralover

Last edited:
Looks like you're off to a pretty good collection. I don't have any bow ties, but if I'd love to have some as cool as those. I'd definitely put them to use.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Went on a buying spree. I love these clip on's, they have a lot more variety than the self tie ones I've seen so far. Here's what I picked up.

And I had to get this pleated one.

fedoralover

Now THESE are Clip-Ons! They looked somewhat tied, but one can still tell that they're not the real deal in a good way (and this is coming from a guy who tells people "you can't call it a tie if you can't tie it"). That's also a really cool and probably rare pleated number you've picked up, too. I still fail to understand why the market bothers to waste fabric and sell the "Pre-Tied" variations when people would rather just pop them on like a collar clip.

On another note, has anybody had any luck finding a proper vintage or decently modern tie at thrift stores or flea markets? I always have to go online to buy mine.

-Quetzal

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Now THESE are Clip-Ons! They looked somewhat tied, but one can still tell that they're not the real deal in a good way (and this is coming from a guy who tells people "you can't call it a tie if you can't tie it"). That's also a really cool and probably rare pleated number you've picked up, too. I still fail to understand why the market bothers to waste fabric and sell the "Pre-Tied" variations when people would rather just pop them on like a collar clip.

On another note, has anybody had any luck finding a proper vintage or decently modern tie at thrift stores or flea markets? I always have to go online to buy mine.

-Quetzal

I was never too interested in the regular bow ties or the clip on's as I just never saw any I liked. But recently I came across these and liked the design of them. Plus they are vintage. Clip on's go way back, so they are not like the modern day ones that look super cheap. I thought these had some character.

I have found some nice ties at Goodwill and St. Vinnies before but it's not a common thing. I have found quite a few at antique shows though. But mainly ebay is the best place to have the most luck.

fedoralover

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
The only vintage bow, and bow period, that I've found anywhere was at St. Vinny's; a late 1950s-early 1960s brown clip-on with a small white graphic at each end; one was a pipe with smoke, the other side was torn to shreds.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I like these pleated ones. This one doesn't have the hand painting on it like my other one, but I haven't seen that many with the pleated bows so I'm going to snag them when I see them.

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui