Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
A man that refuses to wear a bow tie is a man that is afraid to experiment. A man that is afraid to experiment is no man at all.

Perhaps there are different ways to experiment?

Of the three new cravats I have (red, yellow & blue), the yellow & blue were the most dirty. The red is so clean, I'm wondering if it was ever worn!

But the yellow and blue (yellow especially) were quite gunky. You could feel the crustiness from the years of built-up sweat. I also had a yellow bowtie, as well.

I tossed them all into the washing-machine with a half-load of powder and ran them all on a delicates cold-wash, then I hung them out to dry overnight.

I'm happy to say that the results are quite wonderful. The cravats are smooth, dry, and wonderfully soft! The marks from the perspiration are gone. There's no crinkling or shrinking or anything. The bowtie is a little cleaner, but I don't think anything will remove the heaviest of those sweat-stains.

But all in all, I'm happy with the results :)

Here are the bowties:

The yellow one, and the two red ones, I purchased yesterday.

The cravats which came with them. Along with the three bowties which I bought yesterday (the yellow and the two red), I also bought the yellow, patterned blue, and dark red cravat yesterday. Oh, and the really patterned one, on the left.

And that's what they looked like *after* I put them through the washer.

I've been after red (especially red!) and yellow cravats for ages, so I'm very happy!

Last edited:

ChrisT

One of the Regulars
I love "real" bowtie (= to tie yourself) but I I also like these funny "Bows Tie Clip-on".
1.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here are some bow ties from Waterloo Road (1945)

AnnaKonstamampDennisHarkin_zps08c972b5.jpg

granger4_zps191b18b8.jpg

wideboys_zpsb4c62b07.jpg

Bow ties = the wide-boy's uniform in British cinema ....

... unless you are a respectable man on your wedding day:
millswedding_zpsbea48d55.jpg

Highlander

A-List Customer
I try to wear a bow tie once a week to work. A few photos, one from a year or so ago: SteveBowTie06-vi.jpg and the other from this morning: SMBowTieRetouched1-vi.jpg

They certainly make a break from the day to day tie wearing and they look soo cool when you untie them at the end of the day!

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I try to wear a bow tie once a week to work. A few photos, one from a year or so ago: View attachment 10978 and the other from this morning: View attachment 10979

They certainly make a break from the day to day tie wearing and they look soo cool when you untie them at the end of the day!

I usually make Friday, the casual day in many work places, my bow tie day.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
About time I posted my bow ties

Bowties0002_zps4fdc2c42.jpg

Brooks Brothers (printed in England), Unknown and Unknown

Bowties0001_zps4a2365d9.jpg

Christian Dior and two David Jones (made in Australia)

Bowties0003_zps932a7bc3.jpg

Harrods, Frederick Theak (made in England) and Linane (origin unknown)

Johnny Q

New in Town
I have recently started wearing bow ties. Once you learn, they are easy to tie. Personally, the only place I don't wear a bow tie anymore is work, because both places I work have work uniforms and bow ties are not allowed (although I am working on changing that in one place). I have some solid color, some patterned. A good friend gave me a elegant white one a few months ago. When I buy them for myself, I often get them at thetiebar.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21