Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

James Pressley

New in Town
I’m not familiar with Southern Proper or R Hanuer; but I would recommend the Brooks Brothers “346" bows to anybody who was thinking about starting. They’re more expensive than the first ties I bought, but they tie up very well.

-Dave

I really do not support B&B anymore. The last 10 years or so they have plummeted in both customer service and quality.

Allen

New in Town
I own one bow tie that I purchased from Jos. A. Bank not too long ago. Given the choice between a wide and a thinner style, I ended up going with the latter. I have a longer, thinner face and I find that the thinner bow ties compliment my face shape a little bit better than the wider kind. Didn't take me too long to learn how to tie it. :) One thing I also found is that it only looks good on me if I have a blazer on as well. Without the jacket it seems to pair with my glasses in a pathetically geeky way, but the jacket makes all the difference in the world. Anyone else come to the same conclusion?

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Not impossible, but tricky until you get the motions down. I suppose the size of your fingers is a consideration as well, but I don't think it's impossible unless you are pathologically incapable of fine motor skills.

Plus, a pre-tied bow moves you from the realm of "charmingly old-fashioned" / "endearingly dorky" to that of "ironic hipster" / "weirdo".

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Best effort today, and boy are my arms tired. As any scientist will tell you, experimental data is not valid unless it's repeatable, hence the dubious expression on my face. I still say it's impossible.

Whitetie.jpg

Alex

Practically Family
Thank ya Tony!
Your tie looks good! Might just be a bit small for ya, it looks like you're tying it correctly. You could probably tighten the bow a bit and that would widen it a little.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank ya Tony!
Your tie looks good! Might just be a bit small for ya, it looks like you're tying it correctly. You could probably tighten the bow a bit and that would widen it a little.

Yep, it's too wide (vertically) for the space under my chin, I need to find a narrower one. It's the only one I had lying around though. I have a red one on order from bowties.com and I'll give that a try.

What I want to find is a white piquet formal tie the right length, but they're had to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko