Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowler hats anyone?

tightcollarman

New in Town

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the lounge, sir!

Here are three vintage bowlers I have in the collection:

Stetson "Select" Quality

Moores of England

Mossant of France

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I have three, a Knox 15, a Disney and a Stetson
IMG_55581.jpg

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Bowlers amuse me, I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY want to just run into someone wearing one lol if he were my age it would probably be love at first sight lol:rolleyes: a bowler or a top hat, and I'm yours lol They're so neat.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
tightcollarman said:
[...]who actually owns one? I do, but have rarely the occasion to wear it. However, I do volunteer at a local museum, which affords me the opportunity to dress in period attire occasionally.

I have an old Stetson bowler. To me, it is a daily wear item. I wear it with just about anything. I think historically it was mainly an every-man, every-day kind of hat. It is my wife's favorite, she smiles every time I wear it.

LordBest

Practically Family
I wear a bowler quite often, it goes surprisingly well with a black t shirt, when one is forced to wear modern clothes due to catastrophic laundry malfunctions (involving a cat). Hat is a vintage 20-30s Christy's bowler.
bowlerchap.jpg

And for Caity Lynn:
topperchap.jpg

Lokar

A-List Customer
I don't wear mine too often (it has shrunk and wearing it looks odd, or is too tight and hurts), but I imagine I will sometimes wear mine if I can stretch it out.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I'd like one, but it will require me finding one in person I can try on. I won't buy a stiff hat (topper, bowler, boater) without trying it on, to be sure of fit. My wife says she needs to see it on me to decide if she likes it or not, she's fine with and encourages everything else, but she's on the fence about bowlers.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Thomas Moore bowler in my collection. My wife does not like it either, JT! I would wear it out for an evening but I would be going out alone!I only wear it at Christmas and the grandkids love it.

BowlerHat002.jpg

Christmas2008-JackiesCamera662.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
Mr. Paladin, you're a natural in the bowler - you could wear it daily, I would say.

I'm with Nick D., I would have to try one on before buying. I just ordered a fedora from hornetshats, and it was very tempting to get a Christy's bowler. I know it would fit (an issue for vintage), but have never even put a bowler on before, so couldn't do it.

Last night, I was at a dance at the Roseland ballroom in NYC (a soul-funk dance). I counted 6 bowlers, and there had to be at least 20 homburgs and maybe 80 fedoras altogether. The bowlers looked sharp. A large number of the fedora wearers wore them with the front brim up - more than 50%. I brought a hat too, but I have to check mine to keep from dying of over-sweating. I don't know how those guys do it.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I'm tempted to get a bowler as well for my London meetings. It might have to be a Lock after juggling between the pros and cons from various forums and threads. I think Patey makes the best (the original stiff as a helmet type with what looks like top hat fur felt) but the cost is just too high at £440 (probably dabble with that thought if I get to be invited to The Palace or something)...

Queue

Familiar Face
I have one, but like you, don't get to wear it very often (read: ever) but inspired by some of the pictures here maybe I'll start wearing it again.

Due respect to everyone else, you all look great, but Dinerman you inspire me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo