Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

box set of radio shows oncassette with a question

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I recently got a box set of "old time radio novels" produced by Soundelux. It has "The Scarlet Pimpernel" with Leslie Howard and "Rebecca" with Olivier and Leigh both from Lux, "The Maltese Falcon" from "Academy Award Theater" with an episode of "Bold Venture" on the B side and "The Grapes of Wrath"
That last one has me curious. There is no opening or closing identifying the program, no recognizable actors doing voices but it does sound like an actual old time radio version. Has anyone heard of this and know from when it is?

Sincerely,
the Wolf

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm pretty sure that's the January 6, 1949 edition of the NBC University Theatre -- a very high class non-sponsored dramatic show specializing in dramatizations of important works of modern literature. With no sponsor, there was no budget for name stars, usually, so the casts were mostly working radio actors, and they were always very fine programs.

Hard telling why someone nipped off the credits though -- maybe they hadn't licensed the rights from NBC and didn't want them getting wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner