Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brand Name hat boxes

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The only brand name hat boxes I have are two vintage Stetsons a Biltmore and my custom Art Fawcett's. I have far to many Akubra's but no Akubra hat boxes. Does anyone else think it adds to the shopping experience when you get these kind of extra touches? Or am I just crazy?
Does anyone know of on-line vendors that ship the hats in the brand name boxes?

Johnny

duggap

Banned
I ordered two Borsalinos from Bencraft Hatters and they came in the shipping box type hat box, but they were all imprinted with Borsalino and Bencraft on it and it was black in color. But I am with you, I would love to have a box for every hat.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
We send all of our Stetson, Dobbs and Biltmore hats in the boxes that they come in. Bailey hasny made any boxes in a while and Borsalino only makes boxes for the Beaver line. So we are required to provide our own box which by the way is much better for the hat. It has a handle an a better nesting ring.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

squidkidd

New in Town
John Penman ships all of his hats in a box with his logo on it. It's my favorite hat box I own. It's finished in a fabric material that feels like corduroy with the logo done in a rubber-like ink - I agree, makes for quite a nice bonus!

DSC_4677.JPG

Regards,
Brian

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Nice to see the Penman box in the traditional round shape. It's a fabulous box!From the 60's most hatmakers (those who continued with hat boxes at all) tended towards square boxes for ease of packing and, with the growth in mail order, to better suit the postal systems I guess.

I gotta say, I'm a fan of hat boxes almost as much as the hats themselves and some of them are real works of art.

jpbales

Practically Family
that would be a really nice touch to any hat purchase- a unique hat box. I think Akubra has a hat box, but it's just a plain square one with "Akubra" printed on the side. Miller hats has the same thing. I would like to see some nicer boxes as a regular hat business thing. That IS a really nice box with that Penmen, squidkidd :eusa_clap

jpbales

Practically Family
a complaint about some hat boxes

is that they don't have enough room for the brim of the hat without squishing it in the box. I've found with many hat boxes that you have to flip the brim up in order to get them to fit, which for me (a long oval) sometimes messes with the hat fit. I've also noticed rings left around the brim of the hat from the nesting ring (probably from being fit too snug from the tight fit of the box) and in the case of the Akubra box, the nesting ring is too small for the crown and creates creases or folds or dents (whatever you want to describe it as) in the side of the crown. That Penmen box obviously has plenty of room.
Sorry, it turned from "a complaint" to "some complaints!" :rage:

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
My Akubra hat box

They do lack the gravitas and style of the pre-60's boxes, though admittedly, they do hold the hat well and are excellent for travelling:

SDC10246.jpg

bendingoak

Vendor
squidkidd said:
John Penman ships all of his hats in a box with his logo on it. It's my favorite hat box I own. It's finished in a fabric material that feels like corduroy with the logo done in a rubber-like ink - I agree, makes for quite a nice bonus!

DSC_4677.JPG

Regards,
Brian

Just to be clear squidkidd,

All my rabbit handmade hats and the Adventurebilt henry hats go out in the Penman bengaline hat boxes. My beaver hats go out in the same style but in a leather like finish.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
besdor said:
We send all of our Stetson, Dobbs and Biltmore hats in the boxes that they come in. Bailey hasny made any boxes in a while and Borsalino only makes boxes for the Beaver line. So we are required to provide our own box which by the way is much better for the hat. It has a handle an a better nesting ring.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

And very nice custom boxes these are too, I can testify...

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Beaver Brand boxes

besdor said:
Bailey hasny made any boxes in a while and Borsalino only makes boxes for the Beaver line.
I once got a western Beaver Brand that came with a box.I bought the western in person at a store. Later I ordered from an online merchant a Beaver Brand Classic and it didn't come with a box. Did Beaver Brand stop making boxes? Are Beaver Brand boxes only included in certain models?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

My one Beaver Brand hat came in a Levine's hat shop box. It's great as a shipping container, but isn't at all cool or vintage looking. I picked it up in StL.

later

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I have ended up buying separate boxes for all my hats when they didn't come with one originally. It is a mixed bag of boxes and hats, of course. I have several Dobbs hat boxes but not a single Dobbs hat, for instance. But, I have no place to put all these hats where they would get knocked around, dusty, or manhandled all the time. I have to boxes principally to protect the hats. But I do like having the vintage boxes, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy