Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Bumping this slightly old thread. How would you guys say Branded compares to the likes of Vanson and Schott?

Good jackets by Branded are on the same level as any Vanson and are superior to Schott. They're really tough, heavy, purpose built jackets, be it for law enforcement or riding. Earlier ones are made in an amazing looking leather. Best part is they can be found very cheap.

newtojackets

Practically Family
Good jackets by Branded are on the same level as any Vanson and are superior to Schott. They're really tough, heavy, purpose built jackets, be it for law enforcement or riding. Earlier ones are made in an amazing looking leather. Best part is they can be found very cheap.
Surprising then that they are / weren't more popular then

IMO there are design elements, particularly in the back, that aren’t as pleasing to the eye. That’s said, awesome jackets and some of the hides are really special. Early jackets for me. Great riding gear.

I bought, later sold, a black Branded NYPD type jacket with a reddish tint beneath the topcoat. Bought it from monitor actually. Super jacket.

Edit- Can also search for Orchard jackets on eBay to get more hits.

newtojackets

Practically Family
IMO there are design elements, particularly in the back, that aren’t as pleasing to the eye. That’s said, awesome jackets and some of the hides are really special. Early jackets for me. Great riding gear.

I bought, later sold, a black Branded NYPD type jacket with a reddish tint beneath the topcoat. Bought it from monitor actually. Super jacket.

Any photos of it? Never seen a jacket with a red tint before

It’s around here. I didn’t explain it well. Where it wears there is a reddish undertone as opposed to a more typical gray or brown. My old Fidelity HH is similar. I sold it here so if you search for a title with Branded NYPD posted by me it should pop up. I’m in a movie theater and the show is starting.

Bluechel

Practically Family
Orchard M/C or the "Gold Label" is the key to a really great version if you have to buy online...just my opinion. Just picked up one locally today (gold label) and it stands right there with the best Vanson comp weight (early 90's)...

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars

I‘ve been really close to buying a Branded jacket many times but have been talked out of it by the rather tall rounded kidney panels that seem to find its way onto many of their cafe/brando/motorcyle styles. Everything besides this one feature seems really well done.

pgoat

One Too Many
I'm glad I found this thread; I love Branded jackets. My understanding is that they made jackets for the NYPD and possibly other law enforcement. I used to ride my bike past their shop in LIC every day from 2010 or so and I too wish I'd stopped in before they vanished. I intended to have them measure me and make me a jacket (I sometimes need shorter sleeves), and iirc, I called and spoke to them a few times about 8-9 years ago, but we kept having problems arranging a time I could visit when their measuring person would be there.

My first one was bought on layaway in 1982, before I ever had a credit card. This was at a leather shop on Long Island, where they were sold alongside cheaper and more expensive jackets. The price point then (about $425 in today's money) worked for my poor student's budget. I was lucky I found that one, as it was a very good price compared to Schott which in that era may have been equal or even lesser quality. The leather on mine was very good but not the absolute best ever - it developed a nice patina eventually, but wasn't quite the tea core I'd hoped for. It had the black and gold cloth label, and was style 808, a heavy black crosszip with waist belt and a roller buckle. I believe the large main zip was an Ideal. It had a black quilted lining with part wool filling and beautiful tartan wool pocket bags. I wore that one regularly from September - April for about ten years before I foolishly sold it.

Since then, in my search to replace my old friend, I've bought about four others (all black cross zips from the same black and gold label era, but different models, some with belt, some only with belt loops, some with zip out liners) and I would say:

-They are all of very good to excellent quality (every one I have handled was superior to brands like Fidelity and Excelled)
-Some have thinner leather and look more like 'fashion' jackets than serious riding wear, though they're all still great quality and finished nicely. Those usually had fringe or over the top 80s MTV zippers, so imo they were easy to distinguish as R&R club wear vs. Branded's 'real' riding jackets.
-The really thick ones are serious jackets, very warm and I'd totally trust one on the bike. I don't know if they are quite the level of, say, Vanson's "competition" weight or a super thick Langlitz hide, but they hold their own, easily as good as a current Schott steerhide. The closest Black and gold label one I've found to replace my original from 1982 is actually nicer leather than the old one and has all Talon zips.

I think buyers should be aware the leather thickness and quality can vary on these, but they are all really nice jackets. Judging from the newer "thick leather" ones I've handled with the all black logo they look just as nice as the older ones and I would recommend them.

One final thought: I've never handled a Lesco jacket, but from photos they look extremely like the same exact jackets as Branded...I'm guessing they are made in the same place?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The leather on mine was very good but not the absolute best ever - it developed a nice patina eventually, but wasn't quite the tea core I'd hoped for. It had the black and gold cloth label, and was style 808, a heavy black crosszip with waist belt and a roller buckle. I believe the large main zip was an Ideal. It had a black quilted lining with part wool filling and beautiful tartan wool pocket bags. I wore that one regularly from September - April for about ten years before I foolishly sold it.

Since then, in my search to replace my old friend

Is this the same type?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/315003188885

pgoat

One Too Many
There are similarities - it's the same basic cross-zip style, and the belt buckle has the typical Branded roller. One difference is that this eBay listing appears to have no sort of vents at the back or shoulders.

The older heavy weight one with attached belt and quilted lining I have now and the similar one I bought in the 80s both had the small vent around the shoulder opening.

The slightly lighter weight ones I've owned with belt loops (instead of an attached half belt) and zip-out lining had longer vents that opened from the top of the shoulder to down lower along the lats (see photos for that longer vent style)

As for the leather in that eBay one, it's hard to tell just from the listing photos.

Attachments

• A (3).jpg
    A (3).jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 36
  • F (1).jpg
    F (1).jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 35

Bluechel

Practically Family
There are similarities - it's the same basic cross-zip style, and the belt buckle has the typical Branded roller. One difference is that this eBay listing appears to have no sort of vents at the back or shoulders.

The older heavy weight one with attached belt and quilted lining I have now and the similar one I bought in the 80s both had the small vent around the shoulder opening.

The slightly lighter weight ones I've owned with belt loops (instead of an attached half belt) and zip-out lining had longer vents that opened from the top of the shoulder to down lower along the lats (see photos for that longer vent style)

As for the leather in that eBay one, it's hard to tell just from the listing photos.
I love 'em but you almost have to get lucky to get a "gem"...
IMG_9291.jpeg

Leather Walker

Practically Family
One final thought: I've never handled a Lesco jacket, but from photos they look extremely like the same exact jackets as Branded...I'm guessing they are made in the same place?
Yes, I think so too. I tend to confuse (when lack of labels) the Lescos with the early Brandeds. Both have the same right-angled epaulettes and the "pentagonal" coin pocket.

Lesco:
IMG_7802_eb0987d7-2247-4d8c-a9ff-b48c1c8b1650.jpg

Branded:
$_57.PNG

Bluechel

Practically Family
Are both
Yes, I think so too. I tend to confuse (when lack of labels) the Lescos with the early Brandeds. Both have the same right-angled epaulettes and the "pentagonal" coin pocket.

Lesco:
IMG_7802_eb0987d7-2247-4d8c-a9ff-b48c1c8b1650.jpg

Branded:
$_57.PNG
of those zip in liner models? Because in those oftentimes only the little size tag on the wearer left inside margin is the only tag. They really look the same!

It's true you have to luck out with Branded. I thought they're better than Vanson until I saw some really shitty ones. But the good Branded equals everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner