Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brando Johnny Strabler / Wild One Hat

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you're ever in Phoenix, AZ make sure you tour the Buddy Stubbs Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Museum on any Saturday at noon. Not only does Buddy have an extensive collection of vintage and historic motorcycles, he has the original Triumph 1950 Thunderbird that Brando used in 'The Wild One'. [He also has the original 'Electra-Glide In Blue' Harley from the move of the same name.]

brando_600_zps18cdf04d.jpg

http://www.buddystubbshd.com/custompage3.asp?pg=museum01

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

I'm actually thinking of buying a Brando cap for my next purchase...I found one on the Village Hat Shop site...it's not an exact replica but it's close enough...It's unlined and the shell is made of canvas. The bill and button are vinyl. It's made in the USA by the New York Hat Co. at only $48 bucks...

http://www.villagehatshop.com/brando-canvas-cap.html

Oh, yeh! For that price, gotta get one and not worry about damage or loss! Thanks Mr. Jones! -dixon cannon

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
OK, Thats an old thread but I have only read it as a starter.
Go to a yacht/sailboat store, and purchase a khaki captains hat. Remove the crossed anchor patch sewn onto the front, and you're done.
I'm kinda with you on that! Recently, to a fancy dress party I wore my straight zip black leather jacket with 'Johnny' painted in the same script in the right place, topped it off with some jeans and black boots, the crowning glory was my 8 point Eastern National bus drivers hat(Essex England defunct bus company). As I walked into the party every one shouted "Its the Wild One", maybe the Mild One would have been better haha.

Personally I think 'Edward' is a bit more serious than going to a fancy dress party.

Anyway, if you read this Edward, dont bother with the 'Freddies' hat, they look great on display and are made quite well but loose all shape when you stick them on your head. One problem is there is no front stiffener, thats where an officers badge may go if this were a police hat for example so you have to keep checking yourself in the mirror and pulling the front into shape.
Brando's was possibly from a Highway patrol suppliers, I have a book 'Car Crashes and other Sad Stories'(Tascen) that has lots of HP officers with these hats.
J

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I'm kinda with you on that! Recently, to a fancy dress party I wore my straight zip black leather jacket with 'Johnny' painted in the same script in the right place, topped it off with some jeans and black boots, the crowning glory was my 8 point Eastern National bus drivers hat(Essex England defunct bus company). As I walked into the party every one shouted "Its the Wild One", maybe the Mild One would have been better haha.

Heh... it's a fun one, isn't it? It's one of those looks that everyone recognises, even if they have never seen the film.

Personally I think 'Edward' is a bit more serious than going to a fancy dress party.

You mean "anally retentive", don't you? ;) I do like to get these details as right as I can... lol There are a couple of photos at the bottom of Page 1 (I think they should still be there - hard to tell from where I am currently as Facebook, where those shots are hosted, is on the Naughty List). I suppose I did take it a touch further than the norm, but, well... that's the fun.

Anyway, if you read this Edward, dont bother with the 'Freddies' hat, they look great on display and are made quite well but loose all shape when you stick them on your head. One problem is there is no front stiffener, thats where an officers badge may go if this were a police hat for example so you have to keep checking yourself in the mirror and pulling the front into shape.

Yeah, I've spotted that.... tbh, that was what I wasn't so keen on on my other hat for the first while. It's an attraction of the Freddies hat for faily use - they sit something more like this one:

That's more a look I prefer for daily wear myself, though I know it's less accurate specifically for a Brando motorcycle cap.

Brando's was possibly from a Highway patrol suppliers, I have a book 'Car Crashes and other Sad Stories'(Tascen) that has lots of HP officers with these hats.
J

Could have been. Such a shame we know so little about something so iconic! I'm minded to try next one of the ones by that guy in England, eh, what does he go by.... the Collector? The Librarian? You know the one, I'm just blanking on the name... He has them in a nice looking blue canvas with either black or brown brims. I wodner if he could do other colours than the blue?

Edward you will never find an original in khaki in Large, but if you type "Vintage Harley Hat" into ebay a lot of real vintage black one's will come up, from all makers from 30's to 70's. The one's with badges "Motor" above "Cycle" are pre-50's, and usually about $200. However if it is not for an investment then I would get a repro maker in khaki to not put badge on the hat, they are about $150, which isn't cheap. But I would always get the real deal in black as the money is similar. Look out for the shorter brim, as they are closest to original. ie http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-STY...parel_Merchandise&hash=item25783b2f33&vxp=mtr there is also a guy there who sells gold hat bands which is what you will need to add to finish the look. Here http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HAR...830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23190fdec6

Thanks, I'll have a looksee on that. I've actually worn my Wild Records one out a couple of times recently, had compliments on it, and not felt like an eedjit, so maybe one or two more in this style might follow...

I'm actually thinking of buying a Brando cap for my next purchase...I found one on the Village Hat Shop site...it's not an exact replica but it's close enough...It's unlined and the shell is made of canvas. The bill and button are vinyl. It's made in the USA by the New York Hat Co. at only $48 bucks...

http://www.villagehatshop.com/brando-canvas-cap.html

That could be a good option for anyone seeking a cheap, fancy dress alternative. I don't know that it's one I'd wear much myself (though it might look a lot better in person), but it would be a reasonable costume option at that price. (I do tend to get carried away and spend quite a bit on a costume to get it as 'right' as I can afford - habit born of too many years in the Rocky Horror game, I suppose... Still, most of my bits get re-used at some time. The Strabler hat is also now part of a zeppelin pilot look for dieselpunk affairs...).

If you're ever in Phoenix, AZ make sure you tour the Buddy Stubbs Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Museum on any Saturday at noon. Not only does Buddy have an extensive collection of vintage and historic motorcycles, he has the original Triumph 1950 Thunderbird that Brando used in 'The Wild One'. [He also has the original 'Electra-Glide In Blue' Harley from the move of the same name.]

brando_600_zps18cdf04d.jpg

http://www.buddystubbshd.com/custompage3.asp?pg=museum01

-dixon cannon

He has the original Strabler bike? That alone is reason enough to go to Phoenix...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
You mean "anally retentive", don't you? ;) I do like to get these details as right as I can... lol There are a couple of photos at the bottom of Page 1 (I think they should still be there - hard to tell from where I am currently as Facebook, where those shots are hosted, is on the Naughty List). I suppose I did take it a touch further than the norm, but, well... that's the fun....

Sorry, for some reason I just get a small blue square with a question mark:(
I rather prefer the 'Chino' look of Lee Marvin's character, though this would probably be mistaken for a pirate or something similar:D And a lot harder to create.

has the original Strabler bike? That alone is reason enough to go to Phoenix...

Was(is) Strabler a real name? I dont recall it mentioned in the film or even in the credits.
As for the bike, there is someplace in a far lost corner of the lounge, a piece on this bike being the same as the one used by the 'Fonz' in Happy Days. Or was that Steve McQueens from The Great Escape. Sure I read that someplace.
'Johnny'

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Dont mean to Hijack your thread & No Not a Johnny Cap but close to what Edward has on ...
Got it from Diamond Dave a long time ago & i do recall ? he had made one in Khaki vintage fabric.
http://www.diamondcapco.com/
this is a vintage Whipcord type fabric. & its high quality all the way it puffs up & has a Shield tab but i push it back
232323232%7Ffp5439%3A%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D36548699%3C834%3Bnu0mrj

I posted the pic last week in the Cap Faction thread

Someone mentioned he likes the Chino look.
I have a few Chino Sweaters from this guy & he also wears a Diamond Dave Cap like mine for his personal cap. They sell caps as well i belive they are the Wild Records caps
Nice Sweaters too.
http://nlamc.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I liked the Chino look! Doesn't quite go with the Hayabusa I ride though, I'm more a Power Ranger on glorious sunny Sunday mornings blasting down the road at hyper speed.
Now then, if I had a 37 Knucklehead bobber:cool:
John

theinterchange

One Too Many
232323232%7Ffp54366%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D364683878934%3Bnu0mrj

My Cousins Father in Law, in San Francisco.:cool:

That's too cool for school! He almost reminds me of a young Bob Dylan, except in a motorcycle cap instead of a spitfire.

I've been eyeing the Village Hat Shop "Brando" cap for a while, to test the waters on the style before moving on to something more closely resembling the hat Brando wore in the film. I'd be interested in some post purchase thoughts if you bite the bullet, T Jones!

Randy

Benny Holiday

Way cool photo Che. Here's my new cap from My Baby Jo:

GEDC0327_zps0b7755a0.jpg

Quality is pretty darn good and it looks right on to me. Got very helpful service from Darla at the company, the caps
tend to run small, so I had to return the size 7 I would normally wear in a cap or hat for the size 7 1/8 shown in
the photo. I recommend them.

The cap goes great with my 1937 Polaroid re-issue shades from Dead Mens Spex too.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Benny !
Killer Look Amigo
Yea those are great caps & a cool shop
I love My Baby Jo
Those are made by wild records in LA
They have a great crown food stuff

Funny your timing I took a weekend getaway
To San Juan Bautista which is 6 miles from Hollister
Where the Wild One was filmed.
A town untouched by time