Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brando Johnny Strabler / Wild One Hat

Edward

Bartender
I'm headed in early February to a movie-themed costume event, and was planning to go as Johnny Strabler, Brando's role in The Wild One. The sticking point, though, is the very distinctive cap he wears. The only replica I've been able to find online was the Baron Hats limited edition affair, at eight hundred dollars odd. I'd even have settle for the (modified design) version of this cap they did for Shia La Bouef in Crystal Skull, but alas that too is way beyond my budget - $300 odds. There must surely be someone who produceds something along these lines at a more sensible price (USD150 or less.....)???

If not, I guess I'll have to come up with some alternative idea.... I can't imagine that costume working without the hat. Irritating, as everything else is relatively easy!

Photos:

FLM03001~Marlon-Brando-The-Wild-One-Posters.jpg

com0000008913.jpg

ron521

One of the Regulars
Go to a yacht/sailboat store, and purchase a khaki captains hat. Remove the crossed anchor patch sewn onto the front, and you're done.

Vic

One of the Regulars
ron521 said:
Go to a yacht/sailboat store, and purchase a khaki captains hat. Remove the crossed anchor patch sewn onto the front, and you're done.

This is completely wrong.

Sorry, but I have to set the record straight about this hat, as the internet is full of misinformation.

I collect repros of Brando's cap from The Wild One (all of mine have been altered, as none of the 10 or so companies making them worldwide have really gotten it right...but to be fair, most were "inspired by" and not going for an exact repro...and others were generally inspired by standard motocycle caps of the era), as well as the motorcycle caps made by Indian, Harley, Buco in the 30s,40s. 50s. (also worth noting that a lotta the Indian caps were single pieces, not 8-panel)

First, it should be noted that there is a lot of variety in these caps (which all seem to get lumped together)...and the one Brando wore in The Wild One was not simply a 50s harley-style cap with a metal expansion strap. It was different (and much closer to those worn in the 30s and early 40s).

And it certainly was NOT a captains hat or a crusher cap (as some of the modern Boozefighters apparently claimed).

It is an 8 panel cap. The crown is higher than the 50s Harley caps, and the brim is single-ply leather. It was slightly less structured than the Harley caps & repros (Freddies of Pinewood, Wild Hats, My Baby Jo, Keep Rockin')...or perhaps just more beaten up + higher crown gave the less-structured appearance, BUT it was more structured than the Baron Rebel Deluxe, Killer Diller, New York Hat Co, B Wear, NLAMC, Dry Bones, Liberty, etc). (as an aside, the bwear cap has a cheap piece of unfinished, poorly-shaped, floppy leather as the "brim", and a strap of gold leather where the metal expansion strap should be...which I'm only pointing out b/c some members of this site have been endorsing that cap, and the only quality part of it is the crown...though their Gatsby's look very nice)

This is also not to be confused with Elvis' starburst cap, which is an 8-point cap (not 8-panel) which was not anything specially made for Elvis, but rather a stock Harley cap...the "lighter" version of their 8 panel motorcycle cap.

Here is Brando's cap:
thewildone.jpg

fa880627.jpg

Below are two pictures of a cap that is ACTUALLY the same style as the one Brando wore in The Wild One.
shaw1.jpg

shaw2.jpg

As an aside, I have also included a Harley Catalogue to show that Elvis' hat was simply one of the models Harley made in the 50s (there was another black & white motorcycle cap that he wore in a picture holding cola, which does appear to be custom, however...can't find a decent pic of it at the moment).

ClassicAccent_600.jpg

Harley lite model:
EPCap.jpg

custom: (sorry, I have a great pic of this somewhere, but can't find it right now...it's totally different than his Harley lite model)
CandidElvis-Coke.jpg

I'm not bashing any of the companies that have made repros of 50s caps or The Wild One cap...I love all of mine...and each one has its pros and cons...plus, if you're willing to put in the time and money, each one can be reconstructed closer to the original specifications...For me, the most important element is a real leather brim, or at least a matte finish...I don't like the shiny plastic.

Anyhow, just wanted to set the record straight. These caps are not interchangeable...and an 8-Panel 50s Harley Cap is not the same thing as the cap Johnny Strabler wore in The Wild One.

And, certainly, the Wild One cap is not simply modified aviator cap or sailor cap...it is 8 panel, and has its own distinctive features.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This is really good stuff. :eusa_clap
Can you please post some photos of your caps showing the details?

Vic

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
This is really good stuff. :eusa_clap
Can you please post some photos of your caps showing the details?

EDIT: I've removed the pics from the other thread b/c i wasn't able to edit my post for some reason and the pics were gigantic!

Here are 3 of my hats for reference

hats.jpg

(note: when I say "I", I didn't actually do the work myself, I had it done, and I don't want to take credit for something I didn't do myself)

note: descriptions correspond to picture reading left to right.

The 1st one was Bwear...but I replaced the leather strap with a gold metal expansion strap which I ordered from a place that supplies military and police uniforms. Then I took apart the cap and replaced the brim with a nice, thick piece of finished leather, which was cut into a shorter egg shape (but I made it a bit narrower than it actually should've been). The cap is great (though a bit small on me, I am 7&1/4 and I ordered a large, which should have been plenty big, but I think the size was mismarked :(

The second one was New York Hat Co. It was way too floppy, so I restructured it with canvas backing in the inside, then I was able to shape it. I didn't like the pin that came on it, so I ordered another one from a random website. It looks a bit high, but if you refer to the pics I posted on this thread, you'll see that Brando's was a bit higher than the Harley caps too ) plus, I was still breaking it in when this pic was taken). The brim on this one is actually a bit too wide (opposite of my Bwear one).

The third one was made by the company that did the Harley caps in the 50s. They are currently making caps for Keep Rockin', My Baby Jo, and Wild (I believe). On this one, I just replaced the rope with a piece of white patent leather. I also reinforced the buttons on the sides...but, for the most part, I left this one alone. This one has the shiny brim that I'm not too crazy about. I wasn't going for a Johnny cap influence with this one. I just thought the white patent leather strap would look cooler than the rope (kinda like on the 8-point lite Harley cap of the 50s...but not going for the Elvis thing either, as his was 8-point and had the starburst...I just found a nice middle-ground on this hat).

The only one that I completely took apart and remade was the Bwear one...which now looks a lot like Baron's Rebel Deluxe (I've compared them in person). The biggest difference are the two little air holes on each side of the Baron version (which were also on the original Johnny Cap...and on my other caps as well).

Vic

One of the Regulars
One more thing...

The more expensive repros tend to be wool...and the cheaper ones tend to be cotton twill...

I mention this b/c I don't think either is accurate. I really think the original cap from the movie was more canvasy...I think that's one of the reasons why none of the repros are really sitting right w/o being altered. I'm no expert on materials...but that's what it looks like to me.

I think it was more like the Harley caps of the early 40s...like this one:

3H3.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Vic, some great information there, thanks for posting. From memory, I believe I bought my hat from the New York Hat Co (he's the one that operates off MySpace, yes?). It's not perfectly accurate, but definitely looked good enough for my purposes. It came with a quasi-SS winged skull & crossbones pin badge on the front, which I removed (actually used it on a 30s style mad scientist costume I did last April - reminded me of some of the markings used by the villains in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow).

I don't have any close-up shots of my hat itself, but here's what I've got:

22540_295977117259_555787259_4021873_2776237_n.jpg
22540_295977072259_555787259_4021872_2032583_n.jpg

The drape isn't bad on this one, as you can see here:
22540_295955372259_555787259_4021602_6915028_n.jpg

I agree, though, that the original hats were probably some kind of heavy canvas. That would explain the 'body' Brando's seemed to have (I wonder where it went??). Also seems to me that a rough, khaki canvas would have been a readily available material back then, and better suited to the kind of 'life' such a had would have led....

I've been considering picking up another hat or two of this style for casual wear (love the Johnny one, but the metal band is a bit much for most casual wearing... [huh] ). I particularly fancy one in the same colouration as a USAAF crusher cap, partly as a more affordable alternative to the latter, and partly because it is specifically a more 'civilian' look. I'd love one in a good, heavy canvas....

What's your impression, Vic, as to which are the most accurate and best value for money hats of this ilk in current production - in general, I mean, as opposed to being specifically Wild One caps?

Edward

Bartender
Vic said:
I think it was more like the Harley caps of the early 40s...

That would make a lot of sense, bearing in mind that the Hollister incident occurred in the late 40s, and the wardrobe dept on The Wild One tried to make Brando's early 50s Schott look more like an earlier, 40s model (specifically by adding the star shaped studs on the shoulders, although in the wrong place).

Vic

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Vic, some great information there, thanks for posting. From memory, I believe I bought my hat from the New York Hat Co (he's the one that operates off MySpace, yes?). It's not perfectly accurate, but definitely looked good enough for my purposes. It came with a quasi-SS winged skull & crossbones pin badge on the front, which I removed (actually used it on a 30s style mad scientist costume I did last April - reminded me of some of the markings used by the villains in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow).

I don't have any close-up shots of my hat itself, but here's what I've got:

22540_295977117259_555787259_4021873_2776237_n.jpg
22540_295977072259_555787259_4021872_2032583_n.jpg

The drape isn't bad on this one, as you can see here:
22540_295955372259_555787259_4021602_6915028_n.jpg

I agree, though, that the original hats were probably some kind of heavy canvas. That would explain the 'body' Brando's seemed to have (I wonder where it went??). Also seems to me that a rough, khaki canvas would have been a readily available material back then, and better suited to the kind of 'life' such a had would have led....

I've been considering picking up another hat or two of this style for casual wear (love the Johnny one, but the metal band is a bit much for most casual wearing... [huh] ). I particularly fancy one in the same colouration as a USAAF crusher cap, partly as a more affordable alternative to the latter, and partly because it is specifically a more 'civilian' look. I'd love one in a good, heavy canvas....

What's your impression, Vic, as to which are the most accurate and best value for money hats of this ilk in current production - in general, I mean, as opposed to being specifically Wild One caps?

Sorry for the delay. Just saw this! The one that operates off of myspace is Killer Diller. Quite similar to NY Hat Co. Yes, I've noticed the quasi-SS pins he puts on them :(

Hmm...good question...best value for the money... It's tough to answer mostly because each of mine have required various degrees of alteration.

If you're willing to do a whole custom overhaul, the best value is BWear! because replacing the band (for a metal expansion strap) and the visor (for a thick leather one with a proper short egg-shaped cut) ends up creating a final product that's nearly indistinguishable from the Baron Rebel Deluxe (as in my far left example). But this requires disassembling the entire hat.

Now, as for getting something 'off the rack' and not customizing it, I think the Kiler Diller was a great choice. The reason I say this is that my New York Hat Co model required a canvas backing and a ton of shaping to get it just right (it's only recently that I've become very happy with the shape). Plus, the Killer Diller has a slightly lower crown, which I like.

Getting into the USAAF stuff, I'm afraid you're outside of my area of 'expertise'...I have a few hats that were intended to fit the Johnny 'mold'..but failed miserably...essentially cheaper alternatives that I picked up before committing to the more accurate ones.

Wild Records/Wild Hats is making a variety of choices now, for about $100, which can be ordered in a variety of ways...so, if you don't want the expansion strap, you can go w/ a rope chord. And, their site doesn't have everything. I've seen a few new really cool styles that they will be offering shortly (assuming you don't mind the shiny brim, like my white one...not really my thing). Also, they use plain buttons w/ the expansion straps for some reason.

My Baby Jo makes some with plastic expansion straps (or something) that look kinda like my white one w/ the patent leather strap.

Liberty Motor Wear makes them with rope chords as well. I don't what they charge.

I'd wait to see what new stuff Wild comes out with before making a decision.

Vic

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
That would make a lot of sense, bearing in mind that the Hollister incident occurred in the late 40s, and the wardrobe dept on The Wild One tried to make Brando's early 50s Schott look more like an earlier, 40s model (specifically by adding the star shaped studs on the shoulders, although in the wrong place).

Great piece of info! Never noticed those little details on the Perfecto.

Yes, I think we may have something here! This does make sense!

Edward

Bartender
Vic said:
Great piece of info! Never noticed those little details on the Perfecto.

Yes, I think we may have something here! This does make sense!

The dating in that aspect is something of a hobby horse for me - I get pedantically riled when lazy critics refer to The Wild One as a 'rock'n'roll' film, when not only the incident upon which it is based but the film itself markedly predates the birth of rock'n'roll!

Some information on the jacket here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfecto_motorcycle_jacket

In essence, the 613 Perfecto was the late Forties model, often referred to as the 'One Star'. By the early Fifties, when the made the film, the 613 had been supplanted by the 618 - an otherwise identical jacket but without the star shaped studs on the epaulettes. The costume department used a 618 but, to make it look like a 613, added the stars. The giveaway is that they have them neatly centred on Brando's epaulettes, whereas on an actual 613 they were closer the outer edge of the shoulder. (I screwed that up a little on mine, I centred them on the epaulette bent over backwards, and only realised when I put them back into shape that that didn't account for the 'bend' at the outer edge, if you follow me, so they're a bit off centre... Course, my jacket isn't a Schott either, but a (reasonably) close, much cheaper alternative I happened to have in my wardrobe....

By the by, I did order a hat from Wild Records in green with a brown peak, and am awaiting delivery (hopefully soon). Only shame was the only option for the rope was white or black - no brown. any idea where I might find a brown one? Kinda wish Aero would get into doing these hats - I'd love one to go with my Bootlegger that had a peak made of cordovan FQHH...

Vic

One of the Regulars
Yes, I know what you mean about it being referred to as an RnR film. The music was jazz, and I know it's taught in a lot of "Beat Generation" classes at Universities…which is more accurate. But, of course, the film was beyond influential to the greaser movement…and, once it became avail on your side of the pond, it was extremely influential to the rocker movement as well. The tie-ins to Rock N Roll are evident, though not direct (as you say, it is based on the 1947 Hollister incident…so Hoy, Hoy era Rhythm & Blues was about…But what, exactly, constituted the birth of Rock n Roll is, of course, still argued amongst experts, so the date is up for debate). Nevertheless, I think we can agree that, either way, this was not a Rock N Roll film. Nothing even resembling RnR appeared in the film.

Very interesting info on the perfecto. I wonder why they didn't just pick up a 613 one star…musta been easy enough to come by??

But, back to the topic at hand, I really like your choice. Green w/ brown peak gives it that military feel..I bet it looks really cool! Hmm…not sure about where to buy just a brown rope chord on its own…though it should be easy enough to pick up a brown rope of that approximate width and copy the way that your black one is tied, then just switch it out.

BTW, your Bootlegger is awesome!...saw a post of it in another thread. You could always buy a hat, then unstitch it, remove the brim, cut a new brim out of a piece of cordovan FQHH, and sew it back together. However, and this is just personal opinion, I think a cordovan jacket paired w/ a cordovan peaked hat might be a little much. It's really none of my business, but I think it would probably look better w/ a black brimmed hat. I may be wrong though, if it were a cordovan peak on a black hat, it might be cool.

Will you post your Wild hat at some point?

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
The dating in that aspect is something of a hobby horse for me - I get pedantically riled when lazy critics refer to The Wild One as a 'rock'n'roll' film, when not only the incident upon which it is based but the film itself markedly predates the birth of rock'n'roll!

Some information on the jacket here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfecto_motorcycle_jacket

In essence, the 613 Perfecto was the late Forties model, often referred to as the 'One Star'. By the early Fifties, when the made the film, the 613 had been supplanted by the 618 - an otherwise identical jacket but without the star shaped studs on the epaulettes. The costume department used a 618 but, to make it look like a 613, added the stars. The giveaway is that they have them neatly centred on Brando's epaulettes, whereas on an actual 613 they were closer the outer edge of the shoulder. (I screwed that up a little on mine, I centred them on the epaulette bent over backwards, and only realised when I put them back into shape that that didn't account for the 'bend' at the outer edge, if you follow me, so they're a bit off centre... Course, my jacket isn't a Schott either, but a (reasonably) close, much cheaper alternative I happened to have in my wardrobe....

By the by, I did order a hat from Wild Records in green with a brown peak, and am awaiting delivery (hopefully soon). Only shame was the only option for the rope was white or black - no brown. any idea where I might find a brown one? Kinda wish Aero would get into doing these hats - I'd love one to go with my Bootlegger that had a peak made of cordovan FQHH...

Respectfully, it's the other way around: the jacket is a 613 with two additional studs on the collar (but not on the body) to look like a 618.

Edward

Bartender
Hi guys.... Hey, Vic - missed your last comment before, til this thread popped up again...

Yes, I know what you mean about it being referred to as an RnR film. The music was jazz, and I know it's taught in a lot of "Beat Generation" classes at Universities…which is more accurate. But, of course, the film was beyond influential to the greaser movement…and, once it became avail on your side of the pond, it was extremely influential to the rocker movement as well. The tie-ins to Rock N Roll are evident, though not direct (as you say, it is based on the 1947 Hollister incident…so Hoy, Hoy era Rhythm & Blues was about…But what, exactly, constituted the birth of Rock n Roll is, of course, still argued amongst experts, so the date is up for debate). Nevertheless, I think we can agree that, either way, this was not a Rock N Roll film. Nothing even resembling RnR appeared in the film.

Yeah, that was quite a surprise to me the first time I saw it as a kid... but then I was also surprised to see the style of the jukebox too (I'd blithely assumed that the one I'd seen in Happy Days was a "fifties one".... lol ). You're right, though, that it retrospectively became part of the rock and roll world... similar to the teddy boy thing, really. The original teds predated rock and roll by a good couple of years, then they adopted rock and roll when it came along. It was a clothing cult before it had anything to do with music, but now the two are pretty much inseparable.

Very interesting info on the perfecto. I wonder why they didn't just pick up a 613 one star…musta been easy enough to come by??

Usual story, I imagine.... Wardrobe were sent out to buy a jacket in the Perfecto style, they picked up what was on the rails - or whatever they had lying around in stock, I suppose....

Of course, since I last commented on this, I have discovered there is a significant debate among some of the hardcore Strabler fans as to whether it was really a Schott jacket at all - https://filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56&start=60

But, back to the topic at hand, I really like your choice. Green w/ brown peak gives it that military feel..I bet it looks really cool! Hmm…not sure about where to buy just a brown rope chord on its own…though it should be easy enough to pick up a brown rope of that approximate width and copy the way that your black one is tied, then just switch it out.

I might just do that....

BTW, your Bootlegger is awesome!...saw a post of it in another thread. You could always buy a hat, then unstitch it, remove the brim, cut a new brim out of a piece of cordovan FQHH, and sew it back together. However, and this is just personal opinion, I think a cordovan jacket paired w/ a cordovan peaked hat might be a little much. It's really none of my business, but I think it would probably look better w/ a black brimmed hat. I may be wrong though, if it were a cordovan peak on a black hat, it might be cool.

Thanks! Yeah, I love that jacket... It's the only Aero leather (of the seven or eight I've owned) that I bought new, direct from Aero (the other one I did that with is a wool Waterfront), and it has a couple of little modifications - wool tartan lining, button cuffs, zip breast pocket (standard is no zip, though I don't think I've ever actually seen one without the zip there), two G1 inside pockets, and a throat latch (never used, but I love the look of it).

I tend to agree with you that the cordovan peak might look a bit much, except maybe on a black hat....Actually, on the black hat that could be really sharp.... It'd be cool if Aero did a run of this sort of thing. I bet they could sell 'em (the only other place in the UK I know of producing these in any volume is Freddie's of Pinewood - I plan to get one of heir all-black Johnny models at some point). I'm sure they're so busy with other things right now, though, that this is the last thing on their minds. lol If they were looking to get into collaboration with a denim brand again, though, I'd be hard pushed to recommend one more than Freddie's... Anyhoo. With most of my leathers I most commonly wear an eight panel cap of some sort - herringbone tweed black/grey seems to work really well with the cordovan - much more so than brown.

Will you post your Wild hat at some point?

I must do.... soon as I get a day where I can wear it out, I'll get a snap - I don't think I have one atm. It's a nice hat... I prefer the other one (the wool bodied Strabler) - I'd go back to that guy for a hat again, but I've lost track of him as he dealt only through a mySpace page and I deleted my account there a few years ago. I think I'm just not used yet to the plastic shaper bit that gives this hat the body...

Respectfully, it's the other way around: the jacket is a 613 with two additional studs on the collar (but not on the body) to look like a 618.

Hmmn... I was always under the impression it was the later jacket with the stars to try and make it look like an earlier model from the time in which the event that inspired the film occurred. That may be wrong, though - and if you follow the link above, it seems that while the orthodox story is still that the jacket was a Schott of some description, there are those who contest that it was some other brand entirely...

I've always wondered what happened to Brando's original jacket.... such an iconic piece - and presumably a relatively distinctive one, too.... There were also all the other jackets made for the rest of the BRMC. I'm surprised I've never seen a story of one of those turning up, whether or not it was Brando's.

indenial

New in Town

Hello. I was thinking about ordering a hat from Wild Records and found this thread. It's been very informative. How did your purchase turn out? Thanks for any info you can provide!!

simonc

Practically Family
Edward you will never find an original in khaki in Large, but if you type "Vintage Harley Hat" into ebay a lot of real vintage black one's will come up, from all makers from 30's to 70's. The one's with badges "Motor" above "Cycle" are pre-50's, and usually about $200. However if it is not for an investment then I would get a repro maker in khaki to not put badge on the hat, they are about $150, which isn't cheap. But I would always get the real deal in black as the money is similar. Look out for the shorter brim, as they are closest to original. ie http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-STY...parel_Merchandise&hash=item25783b2f33&vxp=mtr there is also a guy there who sells gold hat bands which is what you will need to add to finish the look. Here http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HAR...830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23190fdec6

Last edited: