Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brass or nickel? Alpaca or cotton? Help!!!

dormicica

New in Town
Hi, I am just about ordering az Aero Highwayman Black Horsehide jacket but can't decide on hardware and lining.
As for hardware Ii would go for the most durable, also NOT very shiny/new looking zipper.
As for lining, winters here are mostly not colder than 14 Fahrenheit.
What do you recommend? Any hints are greatly welcome!

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
I've owned a black Highwayman since February of this year. I opted for the black drill lining based mainly on the fact that it was the longest-wearing. I've worn that jacket in sub-zero wind chill temperatures (although not often), with a light sweater underneath and I was always warm. If you plan to wear it a lot and wear it hard, I think you can't go wrong with the cotton drill.

My thought was that the weather is likely to be mild more often than bitterly cold, so overall I'd probably get more comfortable wear out of the jacket with the drill lining.

I went with the bright brass zips. Didn't put a lot of thought into that.

Now to show how dedicated I am to the drill lining, I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of my new brown FQHH Long Half Belt with a beautiful new wool Grant tartan lining that they don't even have posted on their website yet. (Mark at Aero USA sent me a photo, and Amanda says that it's very similar to the wool tartan in the Limited Edition Highwayman -- not itchy at all.) I got antique brass hardware in this case.

Counting down to the end of the month.....

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Nickel will not tarnish like brass and will take on a dull gray patina over time. You live in Hungary yet converted the winter temperature into "F" for us here in the States? Good man!

14 F is still darned cold where I come from, I would get thinsulate or something built into the coat, but my blood is thin from living in the southern US for 30+ years.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Here's a photo of the new lining offered by Aero that they're putting in my new Long Half Belt....

ReiverGrantCloseup1.jpg

I liked it because it was more subdued than the Stewart tartan on their website.

They also have a really nice looking Black Stewart tartan that would go great with a black jacket, IMHO.

BlackStewartCloseup1.jpg

So now you're head might really be spinning!

I figure I'll just have to pick up one new Aero per year. It'd take a long time to run out of choices. Whatever you go with, I'm sure you'll love it. Aero does awesome work (they're works of art), and the people are great to work with. And no, I don't work for them or get any discounts.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ask about...

..the 1930's and 1940's beautiful, beautiful woven wool Scottish horseblanket that they found in one of the old woolen mills about 2 years ago, when it was closing down. This is original stuff which hasn't been made in 60 years and is NOS. But you need to ask about it, ok? and once it's gone, it's gone.

Paddy's Tip for today./

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot